Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
BroadyFord

Default Questions about Falcon taxis

I've got a few questions about Falcon taxis. I'm a Victorian so the questions will relate more to VIC's yellow taxis, but they are also applicable to interstate taxis.

1. Why do you never see any yellow taxis at Broadmeadows in the holding car park? There are thousands upon thousands of yellow Falcon taxis yet you never see any at Broadmeadows! Are they painted off-site somewhere or are they delivered direct from the assembly plant (I guess this also relates to Brissy's orange taxis)?

2. How come most Falcon taxis don't have the model name on the boot? I.e., there's only the Ford logo, no "XT", "G6", "G6E" etc.

Sorry, but I've always been curious about these things.

Anyone have answers?

BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Tobey
BF Ute...

Default Re: Questions about Falcon taxis

1. Yes, painted off-site
2. usually because they have been in an acco and the panel beater doesnt put them back on...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
BroadyFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
1. Yes, painted off-site
2. usually because they have been in an acco and the panel beater doesnt put them back on...
So what color are they prior to being painted yellow/orange?
Old 18-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
EFFalcon
Last warning

Ford don't do 'taxi packs' anymore
also, most taxi's arn't purchased new.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

When ford was still doing taxis they did have the full badging on the back. from what I have been able to find out, most taxis from ford were white and repainted by the campany who purchased them but now days with for not doing the taxi packs its what ever they can get there hands on

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
BroadyFord

^^ Well that would explain the lack of provisions for boot advertising, correct?
Old 18-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

if i remember correctly the last of the factory taxi packs was with the au series?
now most are brought from the auctions as ex government cars & painted..
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep they are finished... The last taxi packs were BF wagons....

They use to paint the melbourne ones in the factory, Brisbane yellows have been painted up here ever since I can remember.

When you bought a white Taxi pack they use to put the badges in the glovebox, so they could be fitted after painting.

I really have no idea why Ford went away from them, they suggested that it was to try and improve the brands image, but it has not stopped every taxi operator buying used ex fleet Falcons.

The occasional operator still buys new, especially G6E's for silver service with the gas motor as they are pretty hard to come by, and once you factor in gas conversion / repaint they are pretty reasonable.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
jrfttf
Getting By!?

With everyone else, AU sedans were the last sedan you brought in taxi yellow and the wagons were BF as previously stated, most cab companys buy a used car prodominantly white as its easy to paint over and go from there. As for badging with the others as cabs are always going to be in mr meaners at some point and re badging after a prang becomes a un-necessary expense
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord
I've got a few questions about Falcon taxis. I'm a Victorian so the questions will relate more to VIC's yellow taxis, but they are also applicable to interstate taxis.

1. Why do you never see any yellow taxis at Broadmeadows in the holding car park? There are thousands upon thousands of yellow Falcon taxis yet you never see any at Broadmeadows! Are they painted off-site somewhere or are they delivered direct from the assembly plant (I guess this also relates to Brissy's orange taxis)?
Well, any cars being delivered to taxi operators in NSW would be white (normal taxi) or silver (silver service). We don't have yellow or orange taxi's.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Most of the country is (predominantly) white cars, they are easier to colour match after an accident, and there are more white cars around.
That also explains why white cars are dearer at auctions, taxi operators want them, a coloured car can be $1000's less.

The badges, well its mainly to save a few bucks, or some drunken idiot has torn them off.
I have had panel beaters put them on back the front in the past as well.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
Dezza
Parts bin special

There was an official AU taxi pack that didn't have Forte badges. I know in the Series 1, they had the yellow paint, grey bumpers, black doorhandles and vinyl interior. EL taxi packs still had GLi badges.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post