Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
GunmetalFox

Default For the love of all things expensive...why next to me ??

First off Mods if its been done to death or is in the wrong spot feel free to delete or move

Now as it seems to be whinge week im wading in. I have a few topics namely

1) Mass car parks..Are the spaces getting narrower

2) Why do people insist on parking their busted up rust bucket next to my lovingly washed clayed polished and waxed ute that is in the furthest park from the shops in a end space.

Number 1 is apparent for me anyway my first ride was a 1979 Holden ute wide long armstrong steering and a no experenced kid driving it and i had less trouble parking than i do now in my 05 Ba Ute and dont even ask how i get the 2000 Landcruiser ute with extended tray in the park at the supermarket cause half the time i feel like going out the window would be easier than squezzing out the door then walking past the 3 foot of tray that is still poking out the back causing no end to the looks of people tring to navigate the increasingly smaller lanes.

Now Number 2 and my personal hate after spending 4 hours everyweek washing etc etc etc my ute i have turned into the long distance walking champion as i hunt the ever elusive end park with no one on the other side which can generally be found an estimated 2kms from the shopping center.. safe in the knowledge that i have minimized the risk of getting my ute scratched by another door being opened into it i can shop at ease after of course stopping for a seista and drink of water on my trek to the shopping center.. yet time and time again i return to find some old rusted out s***box parked next to my ute.

With free parking in a 500m radius i ask the question why there next to me cars are not herd animals they do not feel safer in numbers and im guessing after 4hrs of getting all dressed up my ute would be sweating bricks watching the crapbox roll in next to her dented doors at the ready to scrape her paint off. why why why ?? do people not understand the love we have for our cars.. can they not see the gleaming paint work that can only be achevied but long hours on a applicator sponge and MF towel.

On a lighter note gotto love the knowing looks that you get from other owners that are parking in the same way as you in the asphalted hell that is the shopping center car park

Cheers Guys feels good to vent every so often

Koni Suspension
Twin 2.5inch Stainless Pipes
Custom Tray
GunmetalFox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: For the love of all things expensive...why next to me ??

Because if they park their car next to your shiny new lookin' one, they're hoping a would be theif targets your car, or you're not going to slam your door into their car.

I get paranoid about my $500 worth of driving lights on the front of my Focus when I park somewhere, all it takes is someone with a 17mm spanner.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
GunmetalFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I get paranoid about my $500 worth of driving lights on the front of my Focus when I park somewhere, all it takes is someone with a 17mm spanner.
With the work rig i belted the thread poking out of the nut with a hammer on the driving lights . im in trouble if i ever have to take em off but saying that they are still there...one strangly got a bit lose one day but it didnt go missing
Koni Suspension
Custom Tray
Old 28-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i hate it when people park next to me (because i do not trust them obviously)

however i will park next to a nice car, because i know that i will not open a door onto it and therefore it is safe from some moron who does not care
and my car is a 91 model 121 jellybean. it is not rusted, but you would probably still describe it as above. while it is hard not to get frustrated, it is sometimes good when someone parks next to you
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Parkway
I Like Turtles

With your first topic, I haven't really noticed the spaces getting narrower as such but rather the distance you have to reverse out of that space. You try reverse halfway out and you've already slammed the car (or curb) parked directly behind you.

With the second topic, I do the same as you to preserve the well-being of my automobile.
I always thought that people in general would rather spend 10 minutes cruising 'round looking for the closest carpark to the main doors than park 50-100 metres away and walk it. Seems more logic but I'm not people in general.
Parkway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I used to be like you with my old G6ET!

Now with the XR8 I don't care and stress whether or not my car is OK
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am the same, for the most part. There are certain types of cars I absolutely refuse to park near ie. '90s Corollas with bowls hats on the parcel shelf, people movers and girly P-plater mobiles. Unfortunately most people are selfish dogs and don't care about damaging other people's property. I always try to park next to cars that look like they are loved.
Old 29-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Thats why when people ask me " where do you park your car? " i reply with " its not a car for parking, its a car for driving ".
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #9
EATHSV
Oo---oO

I work in a supermarket, have done for 10 years. I see this all the time. People just don't care anymore.
I'm so glad the wife has a disability permit some days. Those spots are huge!

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #10
morbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
however i will park next to a nice car, because i know that i will not open a door onto it and therefore it is safe from some moron who does not care
and my car is a 91 model 121 jellybean. it is not rusted, but you would probably still describe it as above. while it is hard not to get frustrated, it is sometimes good when someone parks next to you
yeah i am the same - i prefer to park my wee wq fez next to shiny shiny utes for that reason. imho they are the best things to park next to. coupes have wider opening doors; 4wds and people movers are more likely to be breeder buses = more children and more trolleys full of food.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
I used to be like you with my old G6ET!

Now with the XR8 I don't care and stress whether or not my car is OK
I was utterly painful about parking my old FG, even I admit I was taking things a little far. I'm not much better with the AU!
Old 29-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the parks are getting smaller as well..

and as for people parking near you, i have a new hyundai and most people would say it's 'only' a hyundai, but it cost me 40k so i don't want it damaged.. but it only took 4 weeks of owning it for someone to hit the front guard at the shops with handbag/umbrella and take the black paint down to white undercoat :(

i had my falcon for 6 years and only ever got one small shopping centre dent in it (while a friend had it at the shops) but it only took 4 weeks for the new car to get hurt..

best car i ever had for parking was one that some **** had 'keyed' every panel on, i had to wait 6 months to get it a full respray, but in those 6 months i could park it anywhere and new if it was damaged it would be fixed in the respray

my 'other' car is pretty good for parking anywhere as well - hyundai excel FTW

most people just don't care about their own things let alone someone else's, i guess this also comes from parents not teaching kids to respect other peoples property..
Old 29-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
GunmetalFox

Talking Re: For the love of all things expensive...why next to me ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATHSV
I'm so glad the wife has a disability permit some days. Those spots are huge!
Dude how much to hook a man up with one of those permits, shall i open the bidding at $200
Koni Suspension
Custom Tray
Old 29-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalFox
Dude how much to hook a man up with one of those permits, shall i open the bidding at $200
$220!
Old 29-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
GunmetalFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
Its the same when you go to the public toilet to do a number 2 and someone sits down next to you when you clearly know he could of sat down in a cubical with a space between people
Voted for best call of the thread.. we're all laughing cause we know its true
Koni Suspension
Custom Tray
Old 29-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #16
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalFox
First off Mods if its been done to death or is in the wrong spot feel free to delete or move

Now as it seems to be whinge week im wading in. I have a few topics namely

1) Mass car parks..Are the spaces getting narrower

2) Why do people insist on parking their busted up rust bucket next to my lovingly washed clayed polished and waxed ute that is in the furthest park from the shops in a end space.

Number 1 is apparent for me anyway my first ride was a 1979 Holden ute wide long armstrong steering and a no experenced kid driving it and i had less trouble parking than i do now in my 05 Ba Ute and dont even ask how i get the 2000 Landcruiser ute with extended tray in the park at the supermarket cause half the time i feel like going out the window would be easier than squezzing out the door then walking past the 3 foot of tray that is still poking out the back causing no end to the looks of people tring to navigate the increasingly smaller lanes.

Now Number 2 and my personal hate after spending 4 hours everyweek washing etc etc etc my ute i have turned into the long distance walking champion as i hunt the ever elusive end park with no one on the other side which can generally be found an estimated 2kms from the shopping center.. safe in the knowledge that i have minimized the risk of getting my ute scratched by another door being opened into it i can shop at ease after of course stopping for a seista and drink of water on my trek to the shopping center.. yet time and time again i return to find some old rusted out s***box parked next to my ute.

With free parking in a 500m radius i ask the question why there next to me cars are not herd animals they do not feel safer in numbers and im guessing after 4hrs of getting all dressed up my ute would be sweating bricks watching the crapbox roll in next to her dented doors at the ready to scrape her paint off. why why why ?? do people not understand the love we have for our cars.. can they not see the gleaming paint work that can only be achevied but long hours on a applicator sponge and MF towel.

On a lighter note gotto love the knowing looks that you get from other owners that are parking in the same way as you in the asphalted hell that is the shopping center car park

Cheers Guys feels good to vent every so often
I do know down the plaza if I park right in the fartherist corner with no one near for 20 spaces when I return there are parkers like a gaggle of Geese clustered around my car three or four deep . and then large gaps
We went for Pizza Wednesday night after dog training club , no one in the park but us and a car in the far corner , and of course someone tried to park next to the bimmer until two Rotties told them off from the back seat
I am amazed when falling down stairs some fool doesn't throw themselves down in sympathy
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #17
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

By way of general info, under the Aust. Standard car parking layouts
at shopping centres should have the following dimensions:
Car spaces 2.6 x 5.4m, with aisles at 6.6m wide
or
Car spaces 2.7 x 5.4m, with aisles at 6.2m wide

I'm pretty sure my local shops do not comply as it is a dead set hassle
every time I drive my BA into the carpark.....
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
GunmetalFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
By way of general info, under the Aust. Standard car parking layouts
at shopping centres should have the following dimensions:
Car spaces 2.6 x 5.4m, with aisles at 6.6m wide
or
Car spaces 2.7 x 5.4m, with aisles at 6.2m wide

I'm pretty sure my local shops do not comply as it is a dead set hassle
every time I drive my BA into the carpark.....

Right im getting the tape out, see how the local shopping center stacks up..
Koni Suspension
Custom Tray
Old 29-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #19
GunmetalFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
$220!
.......$250
Koni Suspension
Custom Tray
Old 29-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The shopping center parks...new ones at least...do indeed seem to be changing. If not actually narrower, then the rows are closer together. You notice this when trying to swing out and turn into a park. Hell, some newer parking lots, even when we are in our old Celica, take a careful lining up with the park to get between the lines, much less a big car like our previous 100 series Landcruiser, and our current G6E.

Makes sense...make the parks a little narrower, rows a little closer together, and you can fit more cars in.

I'd also agree with the "people just don't have the skills anyore" idea as well...the number of numpties who park on angles, across two parks,
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #21
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are just not thinking....park the way I do ...I always take 2 spaces. line the white marker line down the middle of bonnet.

geez think latrelly guys really. Done it for years.
Old 29-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
You guys are just not thinking....park the way I do ...I always take 2 spaces. line the white marker line down the middle of bonnet.

geez think latrelly guys really. Done it for years.
LOL, had a mate that parked his BA GT that way only to find two old dunga 4WDs parked up against him on either side...

Now, some park up against us because they don't know any better but I'm also
convinced there is a malevolant group of trouble makers that do it deliberately...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The local shops for me is a massive shopping centre with covered carparks, so I just always park next to a pole and park as close as it as possible to it.

Whenever you park next to a nice car, when you return it is always gone and there is some **** box parked there instead.

I have done what Tonz said once, Only because there was a new BMW 7 that had done it, so I parked next to him doing the same thing. We shared the middle park between us.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #24
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

While mines only a FG XR6, if I have to take it anywhere I always park mine away from everyone. Thats if I can't get a hold of the wifes Kia.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
JamesR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it feels so good owning a s***box when it comes to parking.

my photo blog;
http://www.jamesruff.net
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #26
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
Its the same when you go to the public toilet to do a number 2 and someone sits down next to you when you clearly know he could of sat down in a cubical with a space between people

Genius, but so true.
I put people parking next to you when you are miles away down to the fact they need another car to judge distance and if left to their own devices they would not be able to get between the white lines.

Tonz,
That unfortunatly can be counter active as people dont realise why you have done it and just think you are arrogant and cant park. You may come back one day to find the car keyed for your troubles.

I hate parking in any of my cars, the spaces are narrow at the best of times but I agree that rows are getting narrower. Getting the ranger in and out is a nightmare especially if someone parks on the **** or not into their bay far enough.

My other pet hate about shopping centres is the shear bloody laziness of not retuning their trolley.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #27
bingoTE50
Steve

One of the reasons I sold my GT . Besides the stone chips,steep driveways, and always worrying if it would be in the same place,when I returned to where I parked it.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I was utterly painful about parking my old FG, even I admit I was taking things a little far. I'm not much better with the AU!
Im the same, missus hates it.
Far enough?
Old 29-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #29
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx

My other pet hate about shopping centres is the shear bloody laziness of not retuning their trolley.
That can be a blessing in disguise actually, if there are trolleys around I put them in the car parks next to mine...fat lazy so-and-so's are too lazy to get out and move them! Hence nobody parks next to me.
Old 29-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Im the same, missus hates it.
Far enough?
lol I would analyse that space a little more. Its shady so likely more people will park there soon, and from the picture at the bottom of a slope in which trolleys can roll down, or a Golf as a mate of mine recently found out.
I have also been known to turn around a go home again through not being able to find a suitable parking space. That and waiting in the car.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post