Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
Mundaring
Starter Motor

Default Ripped off on reverse sensors?

Got a new XR6 LPI delivered a week ago. It was a factory order and included a few options including reverse senors at $500 option.

Car was delivered and I drove off non the wiser When I finally stuck car in reverse the radio did not shut off- so I found whatver is fitted is not an integrated FG system. Also sensors dont pick up much unless within 6inches. Warning system is a buzzer on back parcel shelf. Dealer says they fitted system.

Non genuine Ford parts so will see how we go with dealer.

Otherwise can say LPI engine and response is outstanding

Mundaring is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Ripped off on reverse sensors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundaring
Got a new XR6 LPI delivered a week ago. It was a factory order and included a few options including reverse senors at $500 option.

Car was delivered and I drove off non the wiser When I finally stuck car in reverse the radio did not shut off- so I found whatver is fitted is not an integrated FG system. Also sensors dont pick up much unless within 6inches. Warning system is a buzzer on back parcel shelf. Dealer says they fitted system.

Factory systems with integrated ICC need a different harness that can only be installed on the production line, so cannot be retrofitted on cars already built. Mine has graphics display that comes up on the colour screen when in reverse gear, unsure what happens with non colour screens. The factory system works well on my car.
I also had the problem you had, but noticed it before I paid for the car (by looking at the sensors, the holes were cut into the painted bumper rather than done before painting), so they had to build another car for me.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If you were under the impression that reverse sensors were to be factory fitted and dealer did not tell you otherwise I would be taking it up with them.

If I placed an order for them I would expect them to be factory fitted, no dealer fitted add ons unless they told me otherwise.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

The dealer fit kit uses the same sensors and wiring from front to back as the factory fit ones. Most of the XR's already have the wiring in the vehicle and it supplied wiring ends up in the round file.
As for what happens at the ICC end of things, I'm unsure.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you ordered the car with factory fitted sensors you have a case to tell them to take the car back and supply what you ordered and paid for
Quote:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy
The dealer fit kit uses the same sensors and wiring from front to back as the factory fit ones. Most of the XR's already have the wiring in the vehicle and it supplied wiring ends up in the round file.
As for what happens at the ICC end of things, I'm unsure.
With the first XR50 built for me, if it was possible to install the factory system after the car was built, my dealer would have done so, and that was what I was wanting to happen. Confirmation of the factory system requiring to be fitted at manufacture was also confirmed from my own sources (outside this forum btw). That car ended up in the showroom after the sensors they fitted were removed again, I had to wait another 6 weeks, well worth it .
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
superfly
Go the Hogster!

When I got my XR50 they offered to fit the reverse sensors for me but my wife didn't want them. Good thing now as it sounds like they wouldn't have been integrated properly.
Never would've guessed to have asked them about that.
Old 26-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You can buy those kind of sensors for $49 at Super-Cheap.
I had one in my BF and also my FG. Fitted the buzzer under the dash and the sensors on the number plate. They picked up objects from 2 metres away and the closer you got the louder the buzzer.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you ordered factory sensors on your contract with the dealer, then you have a case for a new car to be ordered with the correct sensors.

Just don't go on driving the current car around. You don't want to risk damaging the car or putting up high k's on it, which could muddy the water.

BY all means try and resolve with the dealer first, but to be frank, if the dealer even looks like being narky about this, contact Ford CRC in writing and by phone to give Ford a record of this and get your solicitor to write a polite letter to the dealer and CC Ford. That should see an unhappy dealer, but you will get the new car with the features you paid for. You have a legal contract with them and they are obliged to comply with that as much as you do.

This is just a classic case of a dealer taking a short cut at your expense. Ford should be hauling them over the coals for this sort of stuff, as its bad for the brand.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

what does the sale contract state? Factory sensors or just reverse sensors, if it says reverse sensors you probably have no leg to stand on, if it says factory reverse sensors there should be no problem.

good luck

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
buickman
buickman

I ordered my XR 50th with tow kit and Rev Sensors waited for about a month for it to be built. No problems the radio turns off and a display on ICC shows car and lines.

The dealer had a Silver one in the yard and said they could fit the tow kit and reverse sensors on that one for $1,000 less than order another car. I was not in a hurry so waited for the colour and options.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Is the FG anything like the BA/BF - where there was a difference between Factory fit sensors and dealer fit sensors?

In the BA/BF, the Factory fit sensors actually had a custom passenger-side loom fitted at the factory (with different loom depending on if you had a colour or mono ICC), whereas the dealer fit sensors were added with a custom child-loom that was fitted inline with the right rear tail light assembly.

The factory fit units would mute the ICC (The beep would even sound THROUGH the ICC on the colour units), but the dealer fits wouldn't.

If that's your experience, perhaps you have Dealer Fitted reverse sensors installed? I recall there actually being TWO tick box options on the order form, one for factory fit and one fir dealer fit. So if the FG is the same, which one was ticked on the form with your signature will be the key here.

Lukeyson
Old 27-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
No.6

My reverse sensors and camera all show up through the ICC. I can switch between a top down image of my car with radar or reverse camera.

If your reverse sensors arent cutting in through the ICC then i suppose yours isnt factory fitted, but rather an aftermarket job.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im sorry to hear about what seems like a stuff up along the line somewhere, maybe the dealer forgot to tick of box..who knows, but they are your first port of call and as above before you call make sure what you signed states factory not dealer fit.

Otherwise I hope its a great experience, would love to know what you think about the car other than this issue.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post