Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
351capri
windsorman

Question Whats the big picture ?

Maybe im not that well informed, or just living under a rock, but ive just found out that you cant buy a new falcon xr8! Was informed of this by a mate at a recent bbq and just checked out the ford aust web site to confirm.Am i missing something? or is ford aust slowly culling models off their lineup. First they can the fairlane /ltd ( to my knowledge, popular in the hire car, funeral and now prestige taxi industries, as well as the private sector.) Then they can the falcon wagon (also popular in the taxi and funeral industry, and as a sales rep vehicle, and as private family car.) And on the wagon, the dedicated lpg model is definately sought after by those that need the exrta space with the benefit of economy, me included. And now the model which took off in the ba/bf era on the coat tails of on track success in the supercars, appears to have been killed off. you cant get a v8 sedan unless you can afford an FPV, and their pricing scares off the average guy who could probably afford a car in the $40,000 bracket ,but not $60,000. Can someone please explain why ford are sacrificing all of these potential sales.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
buggo
[BU66OS]

Default Re: Whats the big picture ?

XR8 hasn't been available for a few years now. Ford is slowly downsizing the falcon range. To get ready for its demise or turn it into an upper market niche vehicle or whatever their plan may be. Apparently the ute may be next.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
XR8 hasn't been available for a few years now. Ford is slowly downsizing the falcon range. To get ready for its demise or turn it into an upper market niche vehicle or whatever their plan may be. Apparently the ute may be next.
There is no doubt that Ford are weening us off of the Falcon.

The numbers just don't stack up anymore.

It will be a sad day when it ends.

Upper market niche? I don't think the general public see anything niche about the Falcon.

If the ute goes, we will definitely know it's over.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
There is no doubt that Ford are weening us off of the Falcon.

The numbers just don't stack up anymore.

It will be a sad day when it ends.

Upper market niche? I don't think the general public see anything niche about the Falcon.

If the ute goes, we will definitely know it's over.
By upper niche vehicle I just meant like no base models, as in g6e and above only. I know its not a BMW etc competitor, but Ford would keep the cars that have the highest profit margin.
And yeah once the ute goes its really the point of no return.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
sbcb
BA Xr8

Yep Fords hero car image is from XR6T or G6ET now. Otherwise go to FPV and look at the GS as its really the new XR8. There is an XR8 thread which shows a vehicle ID sticker of a GS which shows it as an "XR8 FPV", that along with the fact its got the XR bodykit fairly well shows us the GS is the new XR8 now. There is still a good profitable business case for an XR8 as the SS sales show but Ford never made it work for their V8 so over to FPV to fly the flag.
Since the BA we have said goodbye to Fairlane/LTD and XR8. The turbo 4 cylinder engine is expected to be the make or break for the local Aussie Falcon. It needs sales to justify other low volume models like the XR8. Its not all bad, some of the Ford products developed internationally are pretty good and it seems that eventually the Falcon will be swallowed by a global large car platform. Who knows they might still badge it a Falcon in Aussie. FG XR8s are now collectable as the last of their kind!!! Ford Oz offically say the XR8 is not dead but the insiders in this forum have made it clear the project hasn't been touched since they shelved it shortly after the FG launched.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351capri
Maybe im not that well informed, or just living under a rock, but ive just found out that you cant buy a new falcon xr8! Was informed of this by a mate at a recent bbq and just checked out the ford aust web site to confirm.Am i missing something? or is ford aust slowly culling models off their lineup. First they can the fairlane /ltd ( to my knowledge, popular in the hire car, funeral and now prestige taxi industries, as well as the private sector.) Then they can the falcon wagon (also popular in the taxi and funeral industry, and as a sales rep vehicle, and as private family car.) And on the wagon, the dedicated lpg model is definately sought after by those that need the exrta space with the benefit of economy, me included. And now the model which took off in the ba/bf era on the coat tails of on track success in the supercars, appears to have been killed off. you cant get a v8 sedan unless you can afford an FPV, and their pricing scares off the average guy who could probably afford a car in the $40,000 bracket ,but not $60,000. Can someone please explain why ford are sacrificing all of these potential sales.
There's nothing sinister about it, the cars they cut from the range just weren't selling in big enough numbers to justify future development costs to upgrade them.

Fairlane/LTD used to be big sellers, but since the Euro stuff started to become more affordable the numbers had continued to drop until they were barely selling 200 a month. Holden have already killed Statesman and Caprice will be next, they are down to less than 150 a month here, they export a few but come the next model I doubt wether the LWB Holdens will continue. Its a dead market now.

Wagon was selling about 400 a month nearly all to fleets, but it needed a lot of money spent on it bringing it up to spec, and once again the numbers just didn't justify it, not when they have another wagon in the Territory selling 4 times that amount.

XR8 was a pretty slow seller in the end, emissions killed it off as the 5.4 couldn't be bought up to Euro 4. They were working on a Coyote 5 litre for it but they put the program on hold early 2011 and hasn't been touched since.

And people need to forget about the rumours that Falcon will become a Taurus, it won't. Thats been rejected already apparently.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post