Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile SA premier seeks to keep Holden open

SA premier seeks to keep Holden open
Tim Dornin
January 10, 2012 - 8:54AM
Read later
AAP

The South Australian and federal governments are negotiating to provide a funding package to car maker Holden to ensure the future of the company's Australian assembly operations.

South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill says Holden's parent company, General Motors (GM), is considering closing its Australian operations.

"We are, of course, urging GM not to pursue that option," Mr Weatherill said on Tuesday.

The SA premier is in the US where he joined federal Manufacturing Minister Kim Carr in talks with GM chief executive Dan Akerson on the future of Holden's operations.

That includes discussions on an investment package from the state and federal governments that will help secure Holden's future and also the future of local component suppliers.

"In the light of ongoing speculation about Holden's future in Australia, I have come to Detroit to put South Australia's case for being a strong part of GM's future global plans," Mr Weatherill said.

"Today we received a clear message from Mr Akerson and (Holden boss Mike) Devereux that they are committed to working with government to secure Holden's future in Australia and, in particular, the Elizabeth plant."

The SA premier said it was likely the future of car making in Australia would involve a smaller but more secure industry.

"This will require us to build on those elements of our local industry which are world class and to lift standards in the balance of our industry," he said.

"This will be achieved through the agreement we are currently negotiating with General Motors.

"This agreement will involve co-investment by state and federal governments and a much closer working relationship with General Motors and Holden and component suppliers in Australia."

As part of the discussions, GM has agreed to establish a working group to look at increasing opportunities for local component suppliers in global markets.

Mr Weatherill has not disclosed the level of funds the two governments will commit, but said the package would be significant.

Mr Devereux said Holden and the state and federal governments had a "strong mutual desire" to retain Holden's capabilities in design, engineering and manufacturing.

But he said there was unprecedented competition for capital investment in manufacturing and product development for the next generation of global vehicles.

"Car makers are investing billions of dollars to develop future vehicles, so it's critical for Australia to have consistent and competitive long-term polices that make this country an attractive place for General Motors and other companies to continue to invest," he said.

"The discussions with the minister and the premier have been very positive and productive.

"We're making good progress in developing a new co-investment plan to help secure a long-term future for Holden and the automotive and manufacturing industry more broadly."

© 2012 AAP

Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SA premier seeks to keep Holden open

things must be pretty bad if the second biggest car maker in australia is considering pulling out. methinks it's just a ploy to get more govt dollars, so that might help offset the lack of tariffs.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

As you can see, the Cruze is starting to pay off *sigh...

Honestly, when will they realise that production quantity alone does not equal profitability! Old GM is still at work here folks!

Hopefully GM and other involved parties can at least keep the plants open - even if it means utilising or building U.S. or European derived platforms or models (ie: the next Insignia will be as big as the Commodore (just sayin') )

Plain and simply, if we want future Fords built and developed in Australia, we NEED Holden and Toyota...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226240487340
Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW
As you can see, the Cruze is starting to pay off *sigh...

Honestly, when will they realise that production quantity alone does not equal profitability! Old GM is still at work here folks!

Hopefully GM and other involved parties can at least keep the plants open - even if it means utilising or building U.S. or European derived platforms or models (ie: the next Insignia will be as big as the Commodore (just sayin') )

Plain and simply, if we want future Fords built and developed in Australia, we NEED Holden and Toyota...
it`s a double edged sword i think, yes we need local manufacturing to keep jobs and skilled workers, but we also have too many car brands in this country imo.
we have a flood of of imports, why do we need twice as many different brands of car than the US for 20 odd million people....or about 10 million drivers?
i`d love to see govco put restriction on imports.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Question is, will the hand outs given be used to benefit the continuation of GMH or will it go into the pockets of the directors as a cash bonus/pay rise?

Sorry to sound skeptical but Im sure I am not the only one who asked the question to oneself.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I was originally going to say GM are on their annual handout tour... :P
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Flat Top
lid man

Local suppliers supplying in to GM global network ?? - proof of pudding in the eating, especially as decisons are made in shanghai??
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see how he would be able to change anything. I hoping they don't close as its not gonna be good for the workers. But it's a fairly pointless trip if they are gonna shut it down they will. He will accomplish as much as the australian army if they tried to over run the Chinese
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bathurst won't be the same.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
BHDOGS
Banned

Hopefully then we can ditch boring v8 supercars from tv
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I don't know why people are being so critical of Holden for receiving "government handouts" when Ford has just this morning been the recipient of $34 Million from the Federal government and we still don't know how much the Victorian government contributed.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing that Holden would of closed without Cruze. I wonder what the effect on Falcon would have been? Would gaining extra Commodore sales help the Ford factory? Or would have loosing the component supplier base been a catastrophe for Ford.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I don't know why people are being so critical of Holden for receiving "government handouts" when Ford has just this morning been the recipient of $34 Million from the Federal government and we still don't know how much the Victorian government contributed.
I have no problem with GMH or anyone else receiving a handout if it's used to keep the company afloat and not pocketed to the directors as a pay rise/bonus.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
YEAH THE DIFF IS THAT FORD DOESNT NEED THE MONEY
Holden in australia has been running off the same company model as the american GM...which just went bust taking 30billion of debt with it....starting with more gov funding with the new name of GMAH or something. More billions. Its not hard to see how holden aus is falling into the same bad economy traps that the parent company did. Ford austrlia taking grants is all about the gov supporting eco and new engineering steps forward. NOT TO KEEP THEM AFLOAT
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I don't care if it's Ford, Holden or Toyota building cars here. As long as they keep doing it and keep Aussies in jobs as well as local component suppliers in business, that's all I care about.

Yes I'm a Ford fan first, but Australian made is more important to me. So if Ford didn't build here, I'd probably go to the next Australian built RWD car or FWD (if I was desperate)

People need to realise if we stop manufacturing/producing everything in this country, we'll become a nation of importers and jobless. Australian manufacturing (even if it is with Govt assistance) is extremely important as it keeps people in jobs, taxes get paid and money stays here as well as exporting to other places.

Even if it is Holden, they need to stay making cars in Australia.
Just my thoughts.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
YEAH THE DIFF IS THAT FORD DOESNT NEED THE MONEY
yes they do!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Question is, will the hand outs given be used to benefit the continuation of GMH or will it go into the pockets of the directors as a cash bonus/pay rise?

Sorry to sound skeptical but Im sure I am not the only one who asked the question to oneself.
You're not the only one Blueoval. If Holden's parent company is any indicator, the CEO's and their ilk pocketed a large chunk of the US Govco bailout money, so it stands to reason that the same would happen here withouth oversight and accountability.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I think the difference is the way they go about it. Ford works with the government and asks for help, Holden make threats to pull out and put a gun to the governments head.

Big difference IMO. GM are just so arrogant.

But keeping jobs in Australia is a good thing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they do shut up here they should keep the Holden name so they can still make a profit selling Chev badges to Holden owners
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seriously, if holden or ford or whoever isnt competative now, how are they going to compete in 5yrs or 10 with chinese imports. Dont howl me down, Kia are big now??
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #22
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon
People need to realise if we stop manufacturing/producing everything in this country, we'll become a nation of importers and jobless. Australian manufacturing (even if it is with Govt assistance) is extremely important as it keeps people in jobs, taxes get paid and money stays here as well as exporting to other places.
I agree wholeheartedly, we need to protect what is left of Aussie manufacturing. We need to reintroduce the tariffs. I don't mind if my tax dollers keep Holden, Ford or any other large scale plants and their suppliers in busness.

Just my 2c

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post