Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 16-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Trinhy

Default WT - revs up when parking

Hi

My manual WT has got this issue when im parking and changing gears between 1st & reverse (vice versa) the car will suddenly blip the revs up to about 2k rpm. At first i thought my fat foot was doing this but i think its the car. It happens cold and warm and usually when i pop the clutch in. Is anyone else getting this?

Trinhy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Default Re: WT - revs up when parking

No....
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Yep im getting this when i go into reverse. I have no idea why it does it. I also have a WT
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Trinhy

I got my first service in a couple of weeks hope they can sort it out
Old 20-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very strange. My WT does not do this. Manual too.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
mcduck
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinhy View Post
Hi

My manual WT has got this issue when im parking and changing gears between 1st & reverse (vice versa) the car will suddenly blip the revs up to about 2k rpm. At first i thought my fat foot was doing this but i think its the car. It happens cold and warm and usually when i pop the clutch in. Is anyone else getting this?
Hi Trinhy,
I have just purchased a 2013 Fiesta CL Manual and noticed this rev issue as well, as soon as I depress the clutch when out of reverse gear and sometimes from switching from first to second.
Has it been resolved? What I find weird is that it seems to be very "controlled", ie out of reverse gear, when it does, its always revving till 2000. When on first to second, a little below that.
Ford dealer called me as an after sales service and I told him about this phenomenon, but he seemed like he never heard of this issue.
I came to the conclusion that it could be some sort of "hill assisted' driving, as it does it most time on slightly uneven roads or driveways. My automatic jazz revs the engine by itself when it goes uphill, so for manual it maybe doing it on the neutral/clutch depressed position for faster gear change??
Please help, as I haven't got much free time, driving it into my dealership for checkup.
Thank you
mcduck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine did this too a Sep'12 build, reversed out of an awkward driveway and when i pressed in the clutch it revved up and stayed there for a few seconds, enough time to realise it wasn't me touching the acc pedal.
its only done it once but i think it went to about 4000rpm.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
mcduck
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
mine did this too a Sep'12 build, reversed out of an awkward driveway and when i pressed in the clutch it revved up and stayed there for a few seconds, enough time to realise it wasn't me touching the acc pedal.
its only done it once but i think it went to about 4000rpm.
Someone else suggested that the Fiesta has some sort of auto adjustment to make manual driving easier, and will keep the engine rev up when it detects that it is about to stall.
But since the clutch is already depressed, there must be some sort of sensor problem? Can anyone else help out? This car is poorly documented and most have received no help from their service center from what I have read so far.

Thanks
mcduck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never experienced mine doing this. sometimes it makes minor adjustments, like gives it a few more revs if i dont give it enough. but we are talking 100rpm. (no not 1000).

on a quick side note, when you are all driving along (manuals) go for a gear change up, do you notice the revs hang for ages. if you hold the clutch in like a extremely slow gear change, the revs will very slowly fall and eventually match the revs for your next gear.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
mcduck
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
I have never experienced mine doing this. sometimes it makes minor adjustments, like gives it a few more revs if i dont give it enough. but we are talking 100rpm. (no not 1000).

on a quick side note, when you are all driving along (manuals) go for a gear change up, do you notice the revs hang for ages. if you hold the clutch in like a extremely slow gear change, the revs will very slowly fall and eventually match the revs for your next gear.
Hi FiestaZ, Yes, I do notice it and actually don't mind the rev staying at position for slightly longer, gives a smoother ride, but at speeds under 10km, like reversing for a 3 point turn or parking at shopping centers, I look a little stupid to bypassers for revving the engine without going anywhere.
Guess a visit to the service center myself is inevitable. Will post back once I have been given an explanation. Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
Hi FiestaZ, Yes, I do notice it and actually don't mind the rev staying at position for slightly longer, gives a smoother ride, but at speeds under 10km, like reversing for a 3 point turn or parking at shopping centers, I look a little stupid to bypassers for revving the engine without going anywhere.
Guess a visit to the service center myself is inevitable. Will post back once I have been given an explanation. Thanks
Its a relief to know its not just mine! I dont mind it either most of the time, although sometimes it feels like im riding the clutch bringing the revs back down for the next gear.

Although over 32,000 kms i have never experienced the reversing revving quite a few people are experiencing. Any chance of a video on it by anyone?

I cant imagine its normal, why would you want the car to be revving so high while reversing. Fair enough putting a sort of anti stall program in to make life easier. But the whole point of a manual is your managing revs and clutch by yourself.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Trinhy

I have taken the car to the Ford dealer twice and both times they explained as the throttle being drive by wire and the car over compensating for the dip in revs when the clutch is being engaged and disengaged. Only believe a small part of this explanation but other than this being annoying its not that major.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
mcduck
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Its a relief to know its not just mine! I dont mind it either most of the time, although sometimes it feels like im riding the clutch bringing the revs back down for the next gear.

Although over 32,000 kms i have never experienced the reversing revving quite a few people are experiencing. Any chance of a video on it by anyone?

I cant imagine its normal, why would you want the car to be revving so high while reversing. Fair enough putting a sort of anti stall program in to make life easier. But the whole point of a manual is your managing revs and clutch by yourself.
It's actually not revving while you are reversing, thank god. Its revving as soon as you are sort of done reversing when depressing the clutch, which equals to the neutral position. And I notice that it does it only if you reverse it quicker than the usual roll back, u know, when you actually hear the typical reverse gear acceleration, if that makes sense.
No point really, unless I want to skip the break and push straight into first to utilise the high engine rev.
Maybe I just switch gear too eagerly and should try the suggested 3 seconds wait from first to reverse, as outlined in the manual. Just never had that problem, or maybe feature, in other manual cars before.
Thanks for replying Trinhy, I'll let you know what my service centre tells me.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Strange how the WS doesn't seem to do it. Still the same gearbox, engine etc. Maybe it has to do with the tune, that's about all that could possibly be different. Similar to the cold start issue unique to the WS and older models but not WT.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post