Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ecoboost review in Wheels magazine. Big thumbs up!

Just reading the latest Wheels magazine, with the review of the Ecoboost Falcon four cylinder.
This is what I imagined years ago when I was considering what "the future of Australian cars" was going to look like.
Amazing economy, a full sized rear drive sedan, quiet, comfortable, cheaper rego (for those states, like Queensland, where four cylinders are much cheaper to register), and performance that, to be blunt, is better than Porsches of only a couple of decades back. Their quote was that it is quicker than XR6T's of years back, quicker than the legendary "Blue Meanie" SS Commodore, and more power than five liter V8's of not long back.
They end up giving it extremely high praise, and refreshingly not once did they mention the demise of the Falcon.

2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: Ecoboost review in Wheels magazine. Big thumbs up!

I really hope this version of the FG does well for them.
It is a great engine by the sounds of it.
Old 17-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I had cause to drop into one of Adelaide's largest dealers today. Was scanning around with the sales guy and he was noticeably excited talking about the EcoBoost Falcon sitting there and its potential. Genuinely stirs these guys up. But then he said 'first one weve had through'.

Come on ppl, get the demos out there and impress the public!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It should sell well in qld considering the high cost of fuel and rego!!!!

Still it sounds promising from the some of the things that ive read.
May just have a test drive for the sake of it????

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well we've had our G6E since February last year and it's got over 42,000km on it already...I'm seriously considering what sort of a trade in we'd get in maybe six months or so on a G6 or G6E ecoboost given the distances we often travel.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Their quote was that it is quicker than XR6T's of years back,
Got to be taking the **** there. BA XR6T was clocked by Wheels in its first SS comparo at 5.9s 0-100km/h. Most common time ive heard for Ecoboost Falcon is about 6.7s.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I think the article actually says that it is quicker than a decade's worth of XR6's, or words to that effect. I don't have the magazine in front of me but I'm positive that it doesn't say it's faster than any XR6T's.
Old 18-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
RASER
Banned

The public will have the final say and decide if it works or not, for mine the Falcon is dying, and heading down the road of no return [380/Magna style] this wont save it, they could well pick up a few sales [stolen off the IL6 no doubt so that does nothing] a 2.2L/4cyl diesel could have saved the Falcon, as well as having the Wagon, Fairlane [not farm] LTD, and Coupe on sale.

Its simply the wrong car, people consider Falcon as a gas guzzler [yes, we know its NOT] and also the market today is no longer large sedan, Mazda3/Corolla/Lancer etc and SUV's is where its @

Just nuke it in the brain now instead of playing games [No doubt for FoA to get more coin from GovCo], Ford can then focus on the Focus/Fiesta & SUV's [ie what the public want to buy] and lets get Lincolns* [NOT the TownCar] as a premium and more importantly $25k F150's here!

Vale Falcon, u had a great innings

So that leaves Commodore/Caprice v's Aurion/Camry to fight it out as the last Aussie built.

Time will tell!

*At any time GM/H could import Cadillac's [~ almost a few years ago] so Lincoln needs to be prepared to battle in AUS

Last edited by RASER; 18-05-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: V8 Magna
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
BlueOvalPrint

It's great to see postive press for the Falcon at last, and will hopefully attract some fresh faces into Ford showrooms soon.

However when I read the article (don't have it in front of me atm) I wondered just how close the fuel usage would be to the I6 there would be if they both had the same changes made for additional economy to the ecoboost. Specifically the low rolling resistance tyres, 10mm lowered ride hight, and an underbody aero tray.

IIRC, there was only .5 of a litre per 100km average difference between the I6 and ecoboost. Add the changes above to the I6 and i reckon it would be line ball, then factor in the higher towing capacity (2300kg vs 1500kg) and simpler/cheaper servicing for the Aussie 6 and the balance swings back to the I6...

Oh and I think wheels averaged 7.3l/100km on a 1000km run - not bad, but my average 7.6l/100km in my G6ET cruising at 118 between Canberra and Sydney is also pretty good...
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Got to be taking the **** there. BA XR6T was clocked by Wheels in its first SS comparo at 5.9s 0-100km/h. Most common time ive heard for Ecoboost Falcon is about 6.7s.
ba xr6t's were running very high 14's (14.8) after they were reflashed. early ones had issues with overboost.

RASER - give it a rest already. come 2016, falcon will still be here. care to log back on then and see which one of us is correct?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
RASER
Banned

Wink Re: Ecoboost review in Wheels magazine. Big thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
RASER - give it a rest already. come 2016, falcon will still be here. care to log back on then and see which one of us is correct?
Indeed, they have a tax grab agenda, because FoA will have got another $100 million out of state and federal Gov.Co.'s, ie your and my taxes

Might as well, i would do exactly the same, anyway whats $100 million to the federal GovCo, juliar already has 300 BILLION of deficit
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Indeed, they have a tax grab agenda, because FoA will have got another $100 million out of state and federal Gov.Co.'s, ie your and my taxes
and how much revenue do these companies tip into the country?? government assistance in the form of cash handouts is very out in the open. maybe they should just only buy aussie made cars instead. that way they are still assisting the australian industry but people like you don't get all hung up on the dollar value and carry on like it costing you personally.

we all pay tax. that won't ever change. how the govt spends that money has very little effect on my life.
Old 18-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Well we've had our G6E since February last year and it's got over 42,000km on it already...I'm seriously considering what sort of a trade in we'd get in maybe six months or so on a G6 or G6E ecoboost given the distances we often travel.
Going on my experience, with my BF Mk2 Ghia..bugger all!!!!
Old 18-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
ba xr6t's were running very high 14's (14.8) after they were reflashed. early ones had issues with overboost.

Taurus re-badged as a Falcon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Old 18-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
.FoMoCo.

Quote:

Might as well, i would do exactly the same, anyway whats $100 million to the federal GovCo, juliar already has 300 BILLION of deficit
They just posted 1.5 billion in surplus? Hello?
Old 18-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Can't we keep these threads on the subject rather than turning these always to the doomsday threads? Fed up!!!
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .FoMoCo.
They just posted 1.5 billion in surplus? Hello?
$300Billion is the debt ceiling (the nations credit cards limit). $1.5Billion is the projected surplus for 2012-13. We actually had a deficit of $44Billion for 2011-12 (projected deficit had been $22Billion for the year, throwing into doubt surplus projections by the government for 2012-13!)

Anyway, good to see the EcoBoost get such good reviews. Hopefully this gets more volume into Falcon sales via fleet purchases and allows Ford to build momentum for future Falcons. The EcoBoost could well become the standard power-plant once the inline six is pensioned off. Hopefully we will get the 5.0Litre Coyote V8 (which should be direct-injected by 2016) as the performance engine for the range, and a turbo-deisel V6 for prestige. That's assuming RWD Falcon sticks around after 2016.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You cant believe anything Wheels say.
They dont know what they're talking about.
They're biased, and on the Holden/VW/BMW or someones payroll.

Thats what I've heard around here anyway.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The subject of this thread is the new ecoboost Falcon.

If the usual suspects push the usual off topic agenda and are argumentative in doing so there will be holidays.

Dong ma?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

who still actually buys car mags?! You can bet your bottom dollar Wheels or Motor will drop off the twig before the falcon!
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

The Gross Australian federal debt as at 30 September 2011 was AUD$208.992 billion,
with a net debt position of $80 billion, or 6% of GDP (covered by Government Securities)

On topic,

Great to see Ecoboost receiving decent reviews and people getting past the four cylinder in the big car stigma.
Maybe there's a chance that people will actually appreciate the car for its merits and not stereotype it as fail.

Last edited by jpd80; 18-05-2012 at 04:44 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly, I cannot recall the last time Wheels had anything credible to say. (I suspect it was sometime before their write-up on Holden’s new OHC 6 in the VL.)
They are more interested in pushing their own opinions of “the way forward” than in actually considering what Australian motorists want. Some of their COTY choices beggar belief, especially considering the cars they exclude from consideration.

The eco-boost was a ridiculous concept, pushed out of Dearborn’s ****, and therefore assumed to be appropriate for Australia.
It is beyond me why anybody would buy an EB in preference to an eColpi which is more powerful than even a standard I6, and much cheaper to run than the EB.

Tests have shown that the BE is barely cheaper than a standard I6 (less than 2c per km) and if you want to get the much vaunted power figures you must use PULP which makes it MORE expensive to run.

That said, there are enough morons in the world for the EB to sell well. Idiots that just think “6 cylinder = expensive/ 4 cylinder = cheap, ugh.” By definition that should net us a few commode buyers.

People that say the “The Falcon is dead (ugh)” are nuts. As a uniquely Australia developed & built design it may be on its last legs, but Ford Australia still need something to sell in its place. If Falcon was lagging behind Mondeo, Focus, & Fiesta, then maybe, but it’s not. Sure, it may be behind the Mazda and Camry, but FoA won’t just blithely hand their market share to the Nips.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, Falcon sedan IS behind Focus and only a couple hundred per month ahead of Fiesta. Behind Ranger, too...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
The eco-boost was a ridiculous concept, pushed out of Dearborn’s ****, and therefore assumed to be appropriate for Australia.
The concept was developed in Europe, championed by Derrick Kuzak and adopted in the USA.
It is seen there and in Europe as an alternative to diesels which are set to become very expensive
due to ever tightening exhaust emissions in those countries, Ecoboost neatly meets those regs
without expensive after treatment soon to become mandatory on diesels.

Quote:
It is beyond me why anybody would buy an EB in preference to an eColpi which is more powerful than even a standard I6, and much cheaper to run than the EB.
How many new car retail buyers purchase LPG based cars?
That's right sweet FA.....

Quote:
Tests have shown that the BE is barely cheaper than a standard I6 (less than 2c per km) and if you want to get the much vaunted power figures you must use PULP which makes it MORE expensive to run.
Fleets aren't buying EcoLPI like Ford estimated, Ecoboost makes Falcon available to Govco 4 cyl only fleets.

Quote:
That said, there are enough morons in the world for the EB to sell well. Idiots that just think “6 cylinder = expensive/ 4 cylinder = cheap, ugh.” By definition that should net us a few commode buyers.
Ford only intends building around 2,000 EBs this year, compare that with how many Omegas Holden will sell..

Some of us had hoped that EcoLPI would turn around Falcon's fortunes and then again when Ford released the FGII
but now that those two events have failed to lift sales, Ford is trying Ecoboost, we're getting down to the wire,
there's not much more than can be tried to lift sales.... maybe an I-4 or V6 diesel but that's about it for suggestions...

LPG is only cheaper because of current pricing, that could change because of several factors..
Old 18-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The concept was developed in Europe, championed by Derrick Kuzak and adopted in the USA.
It is seen there and in Europe as an alternative to diesels which are set to become very expensive
due to ever tightening exhaust emissions in those countries, Ecoboost neatly meets those regs
without expensive after treatment soon to become mandatory on diesels.

How many new car retail buyers purchase LPG based cars?
That's right sweet FA.....

Fleets aren't buying EcoLPI like Ford estimated, Ecoboost makes Falcon available to Govco 4 cyl only fleets.

Ford only intends building around 2,000 EBs this year, compare that with how many Omegas Holden will sell..

Some of us had hoped that EcoLPI would turn around Falcon's fortunes and then again when Ford released the FGII
but now that those two events have failed to lift sales, Ford is trying Ecoboost, we're getting down to the wire,
there's not much more than can be tried to lift sales.... maybe an I-4 or V6 diesel but that's about it for suggestions...

LPG is only cheaper because of current pricing, that could change because of several factors..
Bollocks

It’s being pushed out of USA because Americans hate diesels.
The new Mondeo TD already exceeds Euro 6.
(The EB in the Mondeo offers the advantage of more power, because even a small V6 is nolonger an option.)

If Ford had offered the eColi on the Territory, we’d have one in a snap.
What “retail buyers” are going to buy EB? As I said, morons.

If Fleets aren’t buying eColi, why the heck would they buy EB?
Governments buying 4 cylinder Camrys aren’t going to buy Falcons Nomatter what Ford puts in them.

There’s plenty of options for selling more Falcons. The problem is not shortage of ideas, it’s making those ideas profitable.
As I’ve said, if Ford can profitably sell EB to morons and hippies, then that’s great for the Falcon. Doesn’t mean the rest of us have to delude ourselves into believing it’s a good product.

So LPG is ONLY cheaper, because it’s CHEAPER. Wow.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Bollocks

(The EB in the Mondeo offers the advantage of more power, because even a small V6 is nolonger an option.)

Governments buying 4 cylinder Camrys aren’t going to buy Falcons Nomatter what Ford puts in them.

There’s plenty of options for selling more Falcons. The problem is not shortage of ideas, it’s making those ideas profitable.
As I’ve said, if Ford can profitably sell EB to morons and hippies, then that’s great for the Falcon. Doesn’t mean the rest of us have to delude ourselves into believing it’s a good product.

why not buy a diesel territory then??

also, is lpg widely available across all of australia??? now those that want a cheaper to run falcon have a choice to suit their own situation.

what part about fleets having a 4cyl only policy don't you understand. ecoboost is now eligible. it is also eligible to those who have a policy of less than 200g co2.

also, why is it for morons and hippies?? sounds like another person who can't get their mind past the cylinder count. dear me.
Old 18-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I wouldn't mind trying out an Ecoboost simply due to the lighter weight over the front wheels, which would improve handling quite noticeably, as all road tests I've read have stated quite clearly. Whether out on the windy country roads, or around the suburban streets.

At the expense of only a few tenths of a second to 100kph.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bollocks

No it doesn't, Petrol meets Euro 6 but not the diesels.
They need to add Exhaust after treatment to comply with Euro 6 which
is still way less than US EPA Tier 2 Bin 5 regulations for NOX emissions

Quote:
Ford Europe deliberately stepped away from V6 because it no longer suited their market,
that's why they opted for the Volvo I-5 Turbo and now Ecoboost engines.

Quote:
Mate, it;s still Ford's money to spend the way they see fit..
Quote:
All three engines, V6 diesel, EcoLPI and Ecoboost were developed with $40 million assistance from the government.

On the matter of buying trends you have to remember that when these engines began development
just over three years ago, that the market was a lot different to what we're seeing now, the delays
with EcoLPI caused a gap of around 12 -18 months where Falcon sales simply lost steam,
excessive amounts of petrol XR6s were built for fleets that didn't want them.
The ensuing stockpile caused broady to go to three day weeks until SZ Territory arrived

Quote:
OK, I'll explain,
Fleets don't want to commit to LPG because of the changing costs, some managers have told me that
the cost rising from below 50 cents per litre to over 80 cents per litre has changed the equation,
there's a concern that like diesel before it, LPG may become permanently elevated in price.
So most now are looking at cheaper more affordable four cylinder petrols for their fleets.
A lot of the previous trade for Falcon and Commodores was through novated leases
but since the changes in FBT percentage liability, a lot of that business has dried up
as current leases at four years get renegotiated, bringing down the FBT value of the
car from the purchase price to Depreciated price, something you can only do after four years.

Fleets are stepping away, thay don't want LPG, they don't want I-6 petrol, what are you gonna do?
Either offer something different or take your bat and ball and go home..

My final words on this:
The market has changed much faster than Ford could possibly imagine and quite frankly,
they have no other options that to keep producing and selling what they can to recover,
as much money as possible - there isn't much cash available and no plan B.

Last edited by jpd80; 18-05-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 18-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen several LPG Territory taxis recently with the spare tyre sat up vertically on the right side of the rear compartment.
Interesting idea, and one I hope catches on even if it remains an aftermarket installation.

Has anyone here tried filling a near empty EcoLPI tank on a hot day?
The internal pressure of the tank rises to near the delivery pressure of the filling pump.
Have heard stories of frustrated cabbies giving up and hosing down the tanks to cool them off..
Old 18-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #30
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bollocks

Can't me as a moron then!! I'd choice EB over LPG any day..

Face FACTS, private buyers dont want LPG!!! Even fleet buyers dont want them!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post