Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Rosscco

Default Spoiler brake light wiring

Just got a bootlid with a spoiler. The wiring has been cut.
(My car previously did not have a spoiler.)

Is the spoiler brake light supposed to plug in somewhere?
I don't want to just splice it into the loom if there is a dedicated socket somewhere for it.

Rosscco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Spoiler brake light wiring

There was in mine, the join was like this... The light is in the middle of the spolier, follow that lenght to the end drivers side and a bit past that lenght was the join. I don't know if the wire runs up the bootlid if you don't have a rear spolier in the first place.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

My BA1 Ghia had a connector for the spoiler brakelight, located near the centre (or toward the right) of the bootlid tucked under a frame. When I fitted the spoiler I just plugged it into that, and took out the brakelight bulb in the rear parcel shelf, as its illegal to have two centre brakelights.

From previous threads on this, some cars do have the wiring and connector already there, others dont. If you dont have a connector somewhere under the bootlid, you will need to thread new wiring from the existing brakelight in the rear parcel shelf using swaged male and female spade connectors. Keep the earth (black) wires along the same side from the light, and the green-red wire on the other side. If you are changing the bootlid, you'll need to keep the wiring intact by unthreading it out from the old bootlid as required, then rethread it into the new one.

When fitting the spoiler, make sure the seals under the posts are intact, otherwise you will get water leaks. Renew the rubber seals if necessary with new seals cut from sheet rubber from Clark rubber.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Rosscco

Yeah, because the wiring was cut I did unthread my wiring from my bootlid and thread it through this new bootlid.
I know most people just splice the spoiler brakelight into the high mount brakelight in the rear window, but I have a gas tank there, so it's hard to get to the original high mount stop.
I was hoping there was a plug somewhere easier to get to.
Isn't there a plug in the boot for trailer wiring?

Ross
Rosscco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post