Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance biased??

Hi guys just a little vent here. Feel free to throw it back at me if you like but it's not going to change my view.

Why is it that we all pay the compulsory Maib insurance in our registrations for cars, roadbikes, scooters etc. But cyclists don't have to?

I haven't go a problem with cyclists using the roads, I just have a problem with the fact that they don't have to pay insurances.

If I'm following the road rules and a cyclist rides out infront of me, then it's his fault. If as a result his bike jams my steering and I end up hitting a pole or something and hurt myself. Who pays? The cyclist has no Maib insurance cover. After feeling like crap for hitting a cyclist when it was the cyclists fault. Am I to be further punished by having my insurance go up when I claim?

Just my thoughts, keen to hear what others think about it.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Insurance biased??

This has never happened to me but have always wondered about it

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that`s a fair comment mate, also there`s no onus for a cyclist to learn road rules, no road training to keep them alive, and they basically have no responsabilitys.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are with a smaller insurance company, more than likely pay a lesser premium, then they will charge your a fee. Go with somone like RACV, NRMA AAMI they will not increase your premium for the accident if you are found not at fault.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

If it's the cyclist's fault, won't your insurance company just simply go into bat for you and its up to them to recover from the at fault party?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
that`s a fair comment mate, also there`s no onus for a cyclist to learn road rules, no road training to keep them alive, and they basically have no responsabilitys.
Yes, that makes sense... other than the fact that they usually are the ones who would die or come close to it if they didnt know the rules.

Right or wrong, you always are the loser on a cycle.

As for the topic, I assume it would be just the same as getting hit by someone who is not insured. As long as you have the name of the cyclist, your obligation has been met. They (the insurance company) will pursue the issue with the party at fault.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
Yes, that makes sense... other than the fact that they usually are the ones who would die or come close to it if they didnt know the rules.

Right or wrong, you always are the loser on a cycle.

As for the topic, I assume it would be just the same as getting hit by someone who is not insured. As long as you have the name of the cyclist, your obligation has been met. They (the insurance company) will pursue the issue with the party at fault.
well if you think about what is there in the way of training for cyclists? my introduction to cycling as tacker was riding on the footpaths of richmond, it wasn`t long before i was riding around the streets, i have recollections of many many close calls on of which coming off the bike, landing on top of it while sliding across swan st richmond and lennox st richmond intersection at a fair clip due to youthfull exuberance and inexperience, getting caught in the tram lines , as i said there`s no one out there to say you need a bit of training on the road it`s just buy the bike , assemble it and off you go.
the original poster said he`s following the road rules, which is very good, but cyclist have no set body to give them these rules or order them to learn them, basically the motorist takes/pays for all responsibility even for the biker that is not trained in any way for road use, surely that is pertinent to this thread Kypez
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

How is it u force a cyclist who runs into u with there bike to give u there details who says there real u cant force them to thats a problem
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
well if you think about what is there in the way of training for cyclists? my introduction to cycling as tacker was riding on the footpaths of richmond, it wasn`t long before i was riding around the streets, i have recollections of many many close calls on of which coming off the bike, landing on top of it while sliding across swan st richmond and lennox st richmond intersection at a fair clip due to youthfull exuberance and inexperience, getting caught in the tram lines , as i said there`s no one out there to say you need a bit of training on the road it`s just buy the bike , assemble it and off you go.
the original poster said he`s following the road rules, which is very good, but cyclist have no set body to give them these rules or order them to learn them, basically the motorist takes/pays for all responsibility even for the biker that is not trained in any way for road use, surely that is pertinent to this thread Kypez
Point taken Mik. I just argued the notion of onus, it really should be on the cyclist and for most that use the road, they know this and keep it in mind always. As for kids, arent there road safety classes at Primary school for when most kids get acquainted with Cycles? I had them in school. Taught me a lot about road rules while cycling.

I still think that a motorist isnt at fault as I noted above. I'm going to call NRMA and check this out with them. I'm fairly sure that they will take it up with the rider if they are at fault.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok how do you insure kids on bikes? How do police it since there is no rego?

What about pedestrians?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
el_wagon

Insurance will still cover you, the same if an unregistered car causes injury to you. It's just that the guilty party will be liable to pay the insurance company back. More paperwork than what it is worth to implement insurance for bikes.
el_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Why is it that we need to pay CTP/TAC insurance on EVERY car registered in our name?

I don't know about you, but I can't drive 12 cars at once.

TAC/CTP should be attached to your drivers licence.
Like in the USA........pay once per person, per year.
and as long as it's paid up, you're right to drive any registered car.

If you're found to be driving without paid up liability insurance, then fines would obviously apply.
I'm sure techie boffins could set up the computer system, so as soon as you're liability expires, your right to drive is suspended, until you pay it.
Just like car rego's.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
el_wagon

SPArKy_Dave, I agree. Good idea for those who have a daily and weekend car or car and motorbike. Might cause a few new problems that no one has thought of though. Even factoring it into the cost of petrol and charging insurance on petrol is another idea. More of a users pay system.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

walk.. its much safer.. and the planet will thank you...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
walk.. its much safer.. and the planet will thank you...
Are you channeling Bob Brown tonight Pottery?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some stupid girl walked into the path of my mates car. The insurance company pursued the costs and he didn't have to pay anything. He had comprehensive insurance though I guess it might be a problem if you didn't.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Hold on a sec there mate, I pay rego, full comp and all the same crap as you do, and my car sits in the shed and i ride my bike. I'm sure plenty other riders are the same, don't be so quick to judge a book by it's cover. And if you happen to hit a cyclist and jam your steering and hurt yourself, I would be more worried about the impending manslaughter charges than if i got a scratch from crashin the car.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
The road rules are on the transport department website, ignorance is not an excuse.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

And further, cyclists can get their bikes insured and life insurance, but it is optional. That is why we have to pay the third party property insurance with our rego, just incase you kill a poor cyclist.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only compulsory insurance for a car is Third-Party (not third party property). it only covers people you might accidentally kill or injure. Cyclists could be in financial hell if they hit someone.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPArKy_Dave
Why is it that we need to pay CTP/TAC insurance on EVERY car registered in our name?

I don't know about you, but I can't drive 12 cars at once.

TAC/CTP should be attached to your drivers licence.
Like in the USA........pay once per person, per year.
and as long as it's paid up, you're right to drive any registered car.

If you're found to be driving without paid up liability insurance, then fines would obviously apply.
I'm sure techie boffins could set up the computer system, so as soon as you're liability expires, your right to drive is suspended, until you pay it.
Just like car rego's.

In Victoria the price of CTP on rego, cover all road users including bike riders, poeple walking and people who drive un registered cars and bikes.

So if it is a user pay's system anyone who does not have CTP would not be covered, such as people who never got a licence, people who are not old enough for licences etc.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Are you channeling Bob Brown tonight Pottery?
six bottles of stout actually...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #23
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
the only compulsory insurance for a car is Third-Party (not third party property). it only covers people you might accidentally kill or injure. Cyclists could be in financial hell if they hit someone.
That is true i would hate to run over and kill someone on my bicycle, but like I said you can get specific bicycle insurance to cover that, but on the other side of the argument why can't the compulsory insurance I pay with my car rego also cover me on the bicycle?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
el_wagon

What sort of bicycle do you have that lets you run over and kill people? where can I buy such a bike? Several people I would like to run over with it. lol
Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

What a lot of people don't realise is that if you have Home Contents insurance, this will cover your legal liabilty if you are a cyclists.

I have copied and pasted this from a NRMA PDS as I am sure a lot of people are going to disagree with me. (I work in motor claims recoveries and settlements and have used cyclists home contents insurance to make recoveries)

What is liability cover?
Liability cover protects you or your family
for claims that may be made against you or
them for an incident which causes:
death or bodily injury to someone else, or
loss or damage to someone else’s
property.
What we cover
Covered under Buildings Insurance
We cover the legal liability of you or your
family for:
death or bodily injury to someone else, or
loss or damage to someone else’s
property
in an incident that takes place in your
home or at the site and for which you or
your family is responsible as an owner or
occupier of your home or the site.
For example, you may be liable when
someone falls and is injured when visiting
your home.
The most we pay for any one incident
is $20 million under Buildings
Insurance and $20 million under
Contents Insurance. This includes
legal costs when our lawyers handle
the claim.

The above will not cover the cyclist or thier bike, but it will cover thier liability to others.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #26
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_wagon
What sort of bicycle do you have that lets you run over and kill people? where can I buy such a bike? Several people I would like to run over with it. lol
A Cyclist can still lose control and hit people which can result in harm, Just takes a cyclist to knock someone over on a footpath which causes that person to hit thier head on the ground....That can be life threating
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_wagon
If I was travelling at 50km's per hour or even 80km's down hill and someone stepped out in front of me there might very well be 2 dead people. Very easy to achieve those speeds on a racer.