Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default FPV cuts Staff, Barrett Gone Too..

Quote:
THE future of Ford Performance Vehicles is in serious doubt following mass sackings last week.
..A total of 15 staff, led by general manager Rod Barrett, were terminated in the second high-profile clear-out in just over five years.

There is solid speculation about a total FPV shutdown at the end of the year, based on slow sales and the sluggish showroom performance of the Ford Falcon. FPV delivered only 379 cars to the end of April, while its opposition at Holden Special Vehicles managed more than 1000.

To put that into a broader perspective, Mercedes-Benz Australia sold more than 400 of its hotrod C63 AMG sedans in the same period, despite a price tag better than double anything from the FPV or HSV catalogue.

FPV boss Bryan Mears refuses an interview request from Carsguide on the subject of the sackings, although in the past he has promised a year-over-year sales improvement in 2012 partly boosted by a planned new model in the second half of the year.

"In a declining market, we are holding our own and we're pleased with that," Mears said recently.

"We are tracking through 2012 at the same rate as 2011 and we have plans to strengthen our run home to the end of the year, both in terms of sales and financials. But then, we never talk specifics."

FPV has made some costly investments in recent years in a bid to boost the appeal of its faster Falcons, including an estimated $30 million on the supercharged Boss V8.

Predictably, Mears is calling the latest shake-up a "restructure" and not detailing the exact number of job losses.

But it's a strong pointer to tough times for the fast Ford division, which has never been able to build a successful business plan to expand its line-up in Australia beyond the locally made Falcon and - once only - Territory.

Still, it is possible that FPV is being brought closer to Prodrive Asia-Pacific, the umbrella company which directs FPV operations in partnership with Ford Australia.

It's likely that functions duplicated between FPV and Prodrive have been amalgamated, including the top job which Barrett lost after a long battle with illness, but Mears again refuses to confirm any details.

"This has been a very difficult business decision and one we've taken with great regret," Mears says in a prepared statement. The last time FPV had a clear-out it provoked an angry and insulted reaction from then president of Ford Australia Tom Gorman, who said Prodrive bosses had fouled the water and left him to do the clean-up work.

This time, Mears is attempting to paint a brighter picture despite the general gloom surrounding Ford and the future prospects for the Falcon in all forms.

"Unfortunately, today's business realities are that we have to manage our business appropriately and that includes making the FPV business the right size for the market and taking advantage of better synergies with Ford and Prodrive," Mears says.

Paul Gover, Mark Hinchliffe From: National Features June 07, 2012 7:00PM
Sorry guys, more bad news, looks like Falcon will be without a V8 by the end of the year..
I for one wish Rod Barret all the best and hopefully, an improvement in his health..

Last edited by jpd80; 10-06-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Default Re: FPV cuts Staff, Barrett Gone Too..

Doesnt look good at all. Very sad to read.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
gtfpv
GT

in january when i was looking at fpvs . quite a few dealers were saying , they tell us this may be the last GT .
looks like that might have been on the money .
how ever , i wont believe it till i see it and i dont think falcon or fpv is finished . i think it is all typical bad press .
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

We've just hseen a horror six months but the economy looks like it just starting to turn around
so hopefully, things get a little better in the second half up to Christmas..
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Isn't this old news now?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Its a negative positive, yes, there are low sales...but FPV still indicate a new model out this year.

Seems like nothing more then streamlining the buisness to maintain profitability.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Yes old news, performance fords still around for a while yet.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Isn't this old news now?
older than my nana...
Old 10-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Sure, its not exactly good news but theres nothing there that states the end of FPV or the Falcon.
Seriously, all this negative speculation is doing no-one any good and I'm getting sick of it. Ford and FPV are still releasing new models and products... Give them a fighting chance...!
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Exactly, FPV are going to release a new model, yet close down in 6 months?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

This is just a negative spin on everything thats in the FPV sticky.
I don't believe this is the end of FPV.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 10-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Dont worry, AFF being AFF will act like its the end of the world..all because GT's don't have their own tailights and come 2013 the falcon will be a rebadged mondeo, and the FPV version will have Bathurst decals on the gaurds...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
Buntz
Straight Eight

A mid-mounted Miami car? I would be working with Bolwell on such a dream machine.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

All this is pretty much summed up in the other thread, we dont need 2.
Closed Thread