Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Default Perth Weather!

Well after 8hrs without power. I finally have some sort of electricity back, not consistant but still enough to charge the laptop. Perthnow.com lists wind speeds up to 139kph.

When I was driving over Canning Bridge, I saw a sailing boat that a broke it's mooring and was smashing up against the rocks with each wave.

Currently there are over 160,000 homes without power.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Default Re: Perth Weather!

Wow. That's pretty decent!

Had a good bit of weather down here in Busselton, for a while what seemed like a mini tornado or something, massive wind. No damage nearby, but a tree fell on a parked Mazda 3 in Busso. This was 2-ish PM. Good thing I had my puddle-drive when I did at lunch!

How come Perth seems to get all this kind weather much more severe than here?

Hope everything calms down!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grinzy
Wow. That's pretty decent!

Had a good bit of weather down here in Busselton, for a while what seemed like a mini tornado or something, massive wind. No damage nearby, but a tree fell on a parked Mazda 3 in Busso. This was 2-ish PM. Good thing I had my puddle-drive when I did at lunch!
Busso here too, had a tree come down and landed on my fence and knocked my clothesline off the wall.

It was from just one big gust of wind too.

Quote:
How come Perth seems to get all this kind weather much more severe than here?

Hope everything calms down!
Urban sprawl my friend, Cities seem to cop it worse because there are a lot more people and a lot more houses.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in bentley the weather was putrid today but we still got electricity hehe
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

Stayed inside all day at my place in Burswood lol have bits of gumtree strewn all over my courtyard. Suprised my power stayed on! Have a blackout nearly every time it rains ha ha!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Apparently we got the worst down here... the 139kph winds were recorded down here Mum read. Loads of trees downed too.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
in bentley the weather was putrid today but we still got electricity hehe
Lol yes we just went to the Bentley hotel for dinner coz all the ones near us have no power! Just got home, still no power. Might have to bust out the penny again.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Mum had a tree fall on the xr6 as she was driving down nicholson road, but thankfully just grazed the side, however we are now lending one of our cars to my mrs parents after a tree fell on their car doing 110 going home on Albany hwy. smashed the roof, windows etc, but they still limped home in it.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Winds ripped my outdoor shade sail in half. I had to take it down in the rain, because what was left looked like it was going to fly away.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Knocked a neighbours wheelie bin over here in maddington , power stayed on all day .
Friends down kwinana,mandurah lost fences though , nobody got hurt thats the main thing
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Power came back on at 3am.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Batten down the hatches boys, looks like tomorrow's gonna get ugly:

Quote:
Forecast for Tuesday
Showers, increasing towards evening, with isolated thunderstorms and possible
hail. Strengthening W/NW winds, becoming strong and dangerous towards evening.
I think I'll knock off early tomorrow and try and avoid all the sheeple on the roads that seem to crap themselves whenever the wind blows or some water appears on the road...

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn its times like this i wish i had a dryer to do some washing meant to be going to sydney wednesday hopefully the airport stay's open.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Miss_XR6

Be safe today guys there predicting another one worst than sunday's to hit
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

^ looking forward to it..

not.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ridiculously torrential downpours have a habit of overwhelming the stormwater drain in our cul de sac (the drain is next to my driveway) causing the cul de sac head and my front yard turn into a swimming pool and eventually causing flooding under my side gate and in my backyard. It usually carries a whole lot of crap off the street in, and carries my garden beds and mulch away with it - which I'd like to avoid seeing as I have just spent several hundred dollars on landscaping and dozens of man hours putting it in to have it all washed away. That big storm of March 2010 left a waterline about 200mm high in the back yard, but since then, we've experienced flooding 4 times.

Does anyone know of a place I could buy sandbags, or could I just go to Bunnings and buy some bags of that yellow brickie's sand and they will do?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
Miss_XR6

^^^ Ring your local SES they will be either able to drop some off for you or point you in the right direction if you have flooding...
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Spudz27
Call me Spud

My exp with the SES is less than desireable. On two occasions now, I have called as water was rising up the wall, once I was told the storm has almost passed and they would have to wake guys up, another time I was told I can't get sandbags "in case" I get flooded, so basically once I am being flooded I will get some. Why then do I bother asking for any if I am already being flooded?????

I have a big palm tree out front I can rock with just touching it, but I can't push it over or get it removed as it is strata land and strata has to approve it, so if it falls on my house or powerlines, strata can deal with it, I just rent.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Have you tried a garden supplier? They may be able to help.

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I'm getting my place ready now, sadly thou I will have to drive right when it hits, as I start work at 2am. They are forecasting hail this time too. Let's hope it's not as bad as 2010

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
ozfast

they say SA will get it on wednesday,not looking forward to it,at least ill be home all day and nite to see if anything gets blown away :(
ozfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah I'm not going to trouble the SES with possible garden flooding, they have more important things to do, I was just wondering if you could use those bags of sand from Bunnings.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
My exp with the SES is less than desireable. On two occasions now, I have called as water was rising up the wall, once I was told the storm has almost passed and they would have to wake guys up, another time I was told I can't get sandbags "in case" I get flooded, so basically once I am being flooded I will get some. Why then do I bother asking for any if I am already being flooded?????

I have a big palm tree out front I can rock with just touching it, but I can't push it over or get it removed as it is strata land and strata has to approve it, so if it falls on my house or powerlines, strata can deal with it, I just rent.
SES is a volunteer organisation and as such attracts a lot of "petty tyrants" and "super heroes".

The best course of action is to report any conversations like you had, in writing, to the SES State co-ordinator with a CC to the media.

This will get some action and possibly have the "super hero" replaced with someone more suitable.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #24
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
SES is a volunteer organisation and as such attracts a lot of "petty tyrants" and "super heroes".
I agree, but I'd extend that to a few (minority) of individuals within NSW's RFS, even an RFS equipment specifier.

Complained that NSW SES were doing traffic control on the F3 at the northbound Mt White weighbridge station, they were doing traffic, whilst police were checking 'everything'. I guess to get people 'use' to such things.

Not an anti police rant btw, but SES attending cranky members of the public for doing 'nothing' is not an image I had desired for NSW SES - to be helping out in the random stopping of citizens.

I'm old law school in politics; police didn't stop you UNLESS you'd bought yourself under notice. They were the days of freedom we once had, and have lost - owing bolshie agenda playing throughout much of the west.

Bend over and accept it all I guess.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #25
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well stay safe all. Let's hope it isn't as bad as predicted. Down here at the moment sun is shining, not a cloud in the sky, currntly the radar is showing the rain bands going around us out at sea, but I can see it is coming and will pass over us.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/satellite/wa
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #26
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah I'm hoping it will be a fizzog as is usually the case when the media talks up a significant weather event. But I'm knocking off at 4 just in case to get home and ready some things...I still have memories of the March 2010 Uberstorm (TM)

Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Lost power for 18 hours on sunday/monday...

better keep it this time!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

This one tonight could be bad. I got up close and personal with that tornado in Dianella on Thursday. Ran inside once it got within 250m of me. Totally unbelievable for Perth.

Let's hope that storm will just pass uneventfully. But it's going to hit somewhere hard, probably south between Mandurah and Augusta. So stay safe, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Have a worst case scenario action plan in mind as well.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #29
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Our power was out for 28 hours, hopefully it wont go out again but I dare say that it will.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #30
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

This sure puts the recent "Sydney severe weather" thread to shame....you guys are really copping it out there!

Stay safe everyone!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post