Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Aged discrmintaion against older drivers?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/aged-r...-1226403558220

THOUSANDS of older drivers are being disqualified each year for failing compulsory medical tests.

Equal opportunity advocates describe the practice as discriminatory.

South Australian Registrar of Motor Vehicles Julie Holmes has revealed 3000 drivers in SA are disqualified each year under Federal Government rules which require compulsory medical tests for drivers over 70.

The rules, however, rely on an honesty system for younger motorists with medical problems.

Equal Opportunity Commissioner Anne Burgess said SA should follow the lead of Tasmania, which is considering treating all drivers equally.

"Why should people of a certain age have to go through a medical test when younger but possibly less healthy people do not?" she said.

"I want this addressed because under our Act, we can't rule on complaints from older drivers and we have simply been passing them on to the Transport Department and continually have this discussion with them."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Crazy Adelaide drivers
Bad drivers? Not in my generation Adelaide Now, 29 Mar 2012
Doctors wary on older driver bans Herald Sun, 6 Feb 2012
Older drivers not that dangerous Herald Sun, 8 Jan 2012
Unfit drivers' licence to kill Herald Sun, 7 Jan 2012
Call to end unfit drivers' licence to kill Herald Sun, 7 Jan 2012

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"We are trying to push the issue that people should be banned from driving based on their medical condition and its effect on road safety, not their age.

"It is against people's rights and discrimination in a policy sense to be denied access to driving simply on the basis of age."

While older drivers face extensive compulsory medical testing each year after their 70th birthday, younger drivers are only required to voluntarily report a medical condition that may effect their driving when they are diagnosed.

my personal thoughts 5 yearly medical certificates for all drivers could be a good thing aslong as it was a free check up or tax deductable. Id go so far to suggest a drug or alcoholic testing at the same time but that would be to

BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 
Default Re: Aged discrmintaion against older drivers?

Unfortunately there comes a time in everyones life where you just have to admit you cant do something any more. I beleive that older drivers should be required to pass a driving test every couple of years past 70. Its sad but they cause heaps of accidents whether directly or indirectly. This smells a lot like a do gooder trying to make a name for herself and inflate her ego a bit all whilst justifying her job.
In terms of making it fair, I would be all for having to resit your license every 5yrs or so. It would cull a lot of the bad drivers out there straight away. A system that does not automatically fail you so that you walk away with no license but returns you to a sort of P plate step in which you have to prove you are worthy of having a full drivers license. The medical bit would be a pain in the **** but what kind of things would they be looking for apart from things like seizures. Of course all of that hangs on that it would need to be extremely cheap and efficient process. Unlikely.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact that you have to be a certain age to obtain a license is age discrimination. Allow toddlers to drive!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Unfortunately there comes a time in everyones life where you just have to admit you cant do something any more. I beleive that older drivers should be required to pass a driving test every couple of years past 70. Its sad but they cause heaps of accidents whether directly or indirectly. This smells a lot like a do gooder trying to make a name for herself and inflate her ego a bit all whilst justifying her job.
In terms of making it fair then I would be all for having to resit your license every 5yrs or so. It would cull a lot of the bad drivers out there straight away. A system that does not automatically fail you so that you walk away with no license but returns you to a sort of P plate step in which you have to prove you are worthy of having a full drivers license. The medical bit would be a pain in the **** but what kind of things would they be looking for apart from things like seizures. Of course all of that hangs on that it would need to be extremely cheap and efficient process. Unlikely.
I need to get a medical every year to be able to fly legally so I cannot see what harm there would be in an initial medical before L and than again for P and open and then every license renewal.

Things to look out for apart from sight are hearing, blood disorders, breathing capability, general unfitness (BMI greater than X or less than Y), correct operation of arms and legs and most importantly spatial awareness and reasoning for a start.

Re sitting the theory test every 5 years would not be a bad idea either.

Of course there will be a scream of discrimination from various groups most of whom are really unfit, unhealthy extremely low skilled drivers who are actually a if not the major cause of accidents particularly "carpark rash".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Pandemic

My grandfather was involved in a car accident at the age of 72, so around 2 years ago. Their were four lanes, two to go straight, two to go right. He was in the lane to go right. The green circled light went green, and he mistakenly thought it was green for him to go right, but in fact their was still a red arrow, and so he proceeded and a car was oncoming from the other direction, and bam, both cars collided, fortunately both drivers only had a few minor injuries - surprisingly from the look of the scene.

That's when he decided to stop driving, so I think these tests are indeed saving lives, as it'll prevent incidents like the above.
Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
AU Mont
Banned

some 70 year olds drive so slow in warwick, they should be allowed to take it on the footpath haha
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being realistic and honest is not discrimination. The statistics probably well support the current setup and if they don't then minor adjust may be needed.
Thousands each year probably just shows the size of the aging population, I think 70 is a realistic age to begin to have some sort or mandatory testing. And if you fail you either get a restricted licence (as happen to my father, he was allowed to drive to the local shops) or you loose it.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`ve also said it before, having a licence is`nt a god given right, 5 yearly medical tests should be compulsory right across the age spectrum, more often in the case of 70 plus with competancy test for licence holders, one of my brothers young work mates has problem with having fits, he on occasion collapses to the ground, foams at the mouth, eye`s roll back in the head, every one helps the guy feels sorry for him, but should this bloke be driving? yes he drives every where,
how many other people are out there with other possibly dangerous ailments? many more than we know about i suspect.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, the time in your life when you are not up to the task does indeed come....and the huge problem is that a large proportion of people either don't know when this time has come or won't accept that it has come.

It's a little like drink driving and fatigue...you might have had a few drinks and "feel fine", but you won't realise how badly your judgement and reflexes have been affected because, you know, alcohol. Same with fatigue...people think they can drive for twenty hours and be perfectly fine...the trick being that you know when you're "tired", but you won't know when you're fatigued, because your brain is being affected and you won't know about it.

Older drivers have a lot of problems that they won't know about because they live with them every day and don't realise it isn't "normal", and regular medical testing will find out.

As I've said before, as a train driver I have to undergo a complete medical every two years, and retesting of our skills ("resit our licences" virtually) every 18 months to 2 years (mine should be coming up soon). If we don't pass, we're off the tracks and on the platform until we're back up to scratch. If you can't make the grade, see ya later. I've often wondered what the roads would look like if they made all motorists do the same thing? I don't know, but I bet they'd be a lot emptier...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
my personal thoughts 5 yearly medical certificates for all drivers could be a good thing aslong as it was a free check up or tax deductable.
Like Flappist I have to have an annual medical, for a Truck not a Plane though, at my cost.

Every 5 years would be a good idea especially as it includes an eye test.

I think it was Alan Moffat who, a few years ago, said that about 10% of drivers are legally blind.
Old 21-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10% legally blind, that`s pretty scarey.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I'm an older driver (I am over 45 old) and was discriminated against just last week, this young copper said to me, "hold on old fella" after successfully negotiating a random breath test. He wanted me to remain for a license check & a rego check.
I object to being referred to as 'old' and told him so, referring to him as 'puppy' while I was at it.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
tweeked
N/A all the way

We had to take my Dads car off him. He is 82 and cant understand why. In the preceding couple of weeks the golf club had called us because his car had rolled through the carpark, he had come home with big dings in the car but couldn't remember hitting anything, and we had a 1 week argument with the library over unreturned books (he was adamant he had put them into their drop slot - they said they didn't have one - the bin outside the library has a big sign on it now saying "Rubbish Only")

Unfortunately their comes a point when it is time.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hell, they don't even ask you to "read the eye chart" when you go to renew your licence now...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Hell, they don't even ask you to "read the eye chart" when you go to renew your licence now...
They do down here.
Old 21-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
justrod

what about this bloke in canada====http://www.overclockers.com.au/image.php?pic=images/newspics/15jun12/13.jpg
justrod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 22 colour blind (red/green 15% for those interested) and l can't have my licence at all when they might have a host of even worse physical conditions and what not l totally agree with the 5 yearly medical the only thing i'd change is the medical should be done annually past 60 years of age (retirement age).
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
the only thing i'd change is the medical should be done annually past 65 years of age (retirement age).
Fixed it for you
Old 21-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
They asked me to do that for my license test and I read the wrong line, everyone was looking at me like WTF?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
general unfitness (BMI greater than X or less than Y),

That's an area you don't want to get into....One big can of worms not worth opening.

As for the topic at hand...I wouldn't object to a general "refresher" course every few years....It'd help keep the skills upto date

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
some 70 year olds drive so slow in warwick, they should be allowed to take it on the footpath haha
It's ridiculous at times. More often than not on the highway there will be an elderly driver doing 80km/h in the fast lane, it's very annoying. Then on single lane roads they will do 20-30km/h under the speed limit with absolutely no consideration for the line of traffic behind them.

I don't think elderly drivers are particularly dangerous, I don't usually hear of an elderly driver causing an accident (usually the other way around, speeding driver kills elderly couple etc), I'd just like them to at least attempt the speed limit, or else catch public transport because it clogs up the roads (highways in particular). Not to say that they are the only ones clogging up the roads, but they are over represented from what I see.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of younger drivers out there who shouldnt be driving at all too.

I would not be worried with having to do a 5yrly basic medical as well as a driving and road rules test....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with medical test every 2 years or so for everyone. Theory tests every 2 years or so. And a practical driving test test every 5 years or so.

I already get a medical test every 12 months for work. So I wouldn't mind if I had to show my results to the RTA every couple of years to show I am still ok to drive.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #24
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
We had to take my Dads car off him. He is 82 and cant understand why. In the preceding couple of weeks the golf club had called us because his car had rolled through the carpark, he had come home with big dings in the car but couldn't remember hitting anything, and we had a 1 week argument with the library over unreturned books (he was adamant he had put them into their drop slot - they said they didn't have one - the bin outside the library has a big sign on it now saying "Rubbish Only")

Unfortunately their comes a point when it is time.
bless him, im sure it must heartbraking to see your old man losing the freedom of enjoying the things he loves in life. Reading your post made me wonder when its time for my old man to hand in the keys to his pride & joy (VW turb jetta) which he polishes every 2nd day. He's 64 now, and has always been a competent driver & enthusiast, but ive noticed these days he seems to change his driving habits where sometimes i feel just a little uneasy being a passenger
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when it comes time to hang up the keys..

give me a beat up BMX with buckled rims and a milk crate on the handlebars..

up the pub.. back from the pub.. what a machine...

pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
"Why should people of a certain age have to go through a medical test when younger but possibly less healthy people do not?" she said.
Don't remember the last time I heard of a young driver suffering from senility or dementia driving the wrong way down a highway or driving across 6 lanes, crossing a garden and then plummeting over a drop off into a fast food outlet drive through and smashing into another car see:http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...1225706092674).

Young drivers crash all the time and they don't even need dementia to do it

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I came so close to having an old lady crash into me last week. 2 lanes turning right, I was on the inside, and as we go around the corner she steers straight into my lane. I was literally waiting for the crunch.

Drove past her and she was absolutely oblivious to what had just happened. Time to give it up lady. They think they are safe drivers because they drive 40 in a 60 zone but thats pointless if you can't even drive in a straight line properly.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #28
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got sick and tired of medicals, last one last September and the RTA wants me to do another now and at 69, not likely to get a job behind the wheel of a 30 tonne bogey drive twin steer truck so the 40 year HR licence went the way of the dodo. My point would that the medicals are needed and the practical driving and knowledge tests should be instituted for all drivers, let the burocrats work out the frequency but the thought of a young person with epilepsy behind the wheel of any motor vehicle scares the crap out of me. I have a cousin who suffers this shocker of a disease and I feel totally sorry for him. He just falls on the floor and vibrates. Also he does not drive. As for legally blind people, there's heaps of them out there. I know because I was one of 'em. Until I had my cataracts removed. Now I can see again.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, you've forced me into it.
I think there should be:-
A National set of rules.
Driver education should be part of the high school curriculum.
Everyone should have to do a course in car control as part of the initial licence test.
Every driver should have to pass a written and driving test each year after age 65.

I am 71 years old and I just passed this test 100% … https://www.service.transport.qld.go...erformExam.jsp

I can still punt an F6 around Lakeside quicker than most, so my reflexes aren’t completely shot.

There are different kinds of old … those that sit around and vegetate and those that still get into it.
Yahoo!!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #30
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres been age discrimination against younger drivers for years. Try being 18 driving & insuring a V8
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post