Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Transporting a car from QLD to WA

Hey guys,

I need to transport a car I'm selling from Sunshine Coast, QLD to WA (not sure exactly where yet).

Does anyone have any experience with this or know of a company to use, approximate cost etc?

Cheers.

Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Default Re: Transporting a car from QLD to WA

Work out the fuel costs and the return airfares. Take some annual leave...and have a final road trip in your car.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Work out the fuel costs and the return airfares. Take some annual leave...and have a final road trip in your car.
That's not a terrible idea... Missus and I are taking annual leave in 2 weeks too... Cheers.
Old 25-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
AU Mont
Banned

http://cevacarcarrying.com.au/servic...ard-transport/

you get get an instant online quote using CEVA. If your able to drop off to the brisbane depot, and new owner able to pickup from the perth depot then quote is $1500

depot to door/door to depot is more, and door to door is much much more
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Hey guys,

I need to transport a car I'm selling from Sunshine Coast, QLD to WA (not sure exactly where yet).

Does anyone have any experience with this or know of a company to use, approximate cost etc?

Cheers.
There are a whole pile of transport options.

Driving is one but if you break the car on the way it may be a problem.
You could get the buyer to fly over and pick it up even if you have to shout him the airfare. This is of course assuming the car is operational and registered. Driving from Sunny Coast to Perth will take you at least 5 days unless you take several drivers. You have a choice of directions, one through NSW & SA which will mean you will be NOT going fast or it will get VERY expensive, the other through NT which while faster is also slightly further.
Fuel on the trip will be expensive and you will have to plan stops as despite the city thinking that there are petrol stations every 50km there are not and if you get caught with a strong headwind you may just run out.

You can put it on rail or a truck for a fee but it will be a 4 digit number, remember Perth is over 4000 km away.

Are the transport costs included in the price? You may find that you are actually better off not selling it to someone so far away.

All in all it will be an adventure what ever you decide. Good luck.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont

you get get an instant online quote using CEVA. If your able to drop off to the brisbane depot, and new owner able to pickup from the perth depot then quote is $1500

Cheers, I'll check it out.

Last edited by flappist; 25-06-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: keep it civil please
Old 25-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont

That would be the best way, and cheapest.

Friends of mine recently returned from a cross country car buying saga. Perth to Melbourne in 48hrs in a Land Rover Discovery petrol V8 to buy the trailer. Then trailer hooked up immediately up to Tennant Ck to buy a 06 Nissan Patrol with apparent engine failure. Patrol on board went Great Central Road back through to Laverton, destroying trailer, damaging Land Rover and nearly rolling. Hit 3 kangaroos. When front axle fell off trailer they hooked the Patrol with driveshafts removed to the back of the Land Rover by a 3m rope, then hooked the now one axle trailer to the back of the Patrol and drove like a roadtrain over a horrendous gravel road. The friend in the Land Rover was up for 39hrs straight and came back to Perth a shell of a man. Oh and the Patrol hit the back of the Land Rover when the Landie braked and hit a roo. The result was two damaged cars, and a brand new damaged car trailer.

A couple of grand and they could have trucked it over, and my two mates would have still retained there friendship. It cost at least $2500 in fuel.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There are a whole pile of transport options.

Driving is one but if you break the car on the way it may be a problem.
You could get the buyer to fly over and pick it up even if you have to shout him the airfare. This is of course assuming the car is operational and registered. Driving from Sunny Coast to Perth will take you at least 5 days unless you take several drivers. You have a choice of directions, one through NSW & SA which will mean you will be NOT going fast or it will get VERY expensive, the other through NT which while faster is also slightly further.
Fuel on the trip will be expensive and you will have to plan stops as despite the city thinking that there are petrol stations every 50km there are not and if you get caught with a strong headwind you may just run out.

You can put it on rail or a truck for a fee but it will be a 4 digit number, remember Perth is over 4000 km away.

Are the transport costs included in the price? You may find that you are actually better off not selling it to someone so far away.

All in all it will be an adventure what ever you decide. Good luck.
I quickly worked it out off google maps to be about 4,500km. That's about 5 days driving and 5 tanks of fuel (1000km to a tank). 5 tanks of fuel (50L) @ $1.70 probably on average for diesel, is $425 or so for fuel, plus $500 for airfares home. So about $1200 all up if you add in food etc, plus the 6 days it'll take. Probably not entirely worth it.

Might have a good look into the shipping companies.
Old 25-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC

Friends of mine recently returned from a cross country car buying saga. Perth to Melbourne in 48hrs in a Land Rover Discovery petrol V8 to buy the trailer. Then trailer hooked up immediately up to Tennant Ck to buy a 06 Nissan Patrol with apparent engine failure. Patrol on board went Great Central Road back through to Laverton, destroying trailer, damaging Land Rover and nearly rolling. Hit 3 kangaroos. When front axle fell off trailer they hooked the Patrol with driveshafts removed to the back of the Land Rover by a 3m rope, then hooked the now one axle trailer to the back of the Patrol and drove like a roadtrain over a horrendous gravel road. The friend in the Land Rover was up for 39hrs straight and came back to Perth a shell of a man. Oh and the Patrol hit the back of the Land Rover when the Landie braked and hit a roo. The result was two damaged cars, and a brand new damaged car trailer.

A couple of grand and they could have trucked it over, and my two mates would have still retained there friendship. It cost at least $2500 in fuel.
That's definitely an extreme example though

Why on earth did they go the GCR towing that heavy load??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC

lol.. must seemed like a good idea at the time. i bet their sense of adventure was a bit dampened by the time they got home.
it must have been a pretty special patrol to go to that effort.

for "nic85" ...
several years ago when i was on the sunny coast a customer from mount tom price in wa bought a new nissan patrol in maroochy while on holidays and had it frieghted back to perth on the train. while the familly flew back home.
apparently the wagon had a scratch on the door when it got to perth so depending on the type of car your sending it might be something to keep in mind.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
pmacc

maybe look into the indian pacific car service. That will get you sydney to perth. not sure what there is from brissy to syd but im sure there is a train that can handle a car
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

There are tons of options.

I used Ceva when I moved to WA.

My sister used a cheaper mob and it got here quicker. Went via train, pick up in East Perth. I'll try and find the company name.
Old 25-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
That's definitely an extreme example though

Why on earth did they go the GCR towing that heavy load??
Exactly. I wouldn't have taken it through the middle. I would have stuck to the bitumen. I was shocked that they did take it off road. Some short cut hey?

I forgot to say that the Landie engine needs rebuilding now. Compression readings are all over the place.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
There are tons of options.

I used Ceva when I moved to WA.

My sister used a cheaper mob and it got here quicker. Went via train, pick up in East Perth. I'll try and find the company name.
http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/...d_motorail.jsp

Doesn't do QLD to WA but may be relevant to other users. Bonus is that you can fill your car up with crap if you are relocating!
Old 26-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buyer ended up going with a car closer to home for him. Oh well, thanks all for the information anyway.