Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Xf85spac
Bent conrod

Default Need help with trans Problem

I have a 4ltr trans and I would like to now if I change the bell housing and the torque convert to my 5ltr will the trans work and fit the same
As I have a rebuild 4 ltr trans

Old 26-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Need help with trans Problem

There are differences between them, the valvebody is different and the extension housing is longer????

Not sure if you could interchange them without swapping a few parts?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
nitro50th

Default Re: Need help with trans Problem

If your talking BTR 4speed, the converter housing's are different and the extension housings are different in length between V8(5.0) and 6 cyl but they are interchangable onto the same maincase.

Depending on the age of them, there are differences internally. Working front to back they will have different converter, they may have different pump gears, valvebody will be different (in valves and possibly seloniods), clutch pack will have different bushes on C3 cyl, Carrier may have different sungears with matching ring-gear and longer driven shaft on V8. Some of these only effect drivability (change points) and durability.

To your question, you will be able to bolt the V8 conv hsng to the 6cyl maincase (4 bolts instead of 9) and will be able to fit the converter to the pump (assuming the drive tangs on the converter are the same for each) but it's the other end that the problems start.
The V8 driven shaft is longer than a 6cyl with a longer extension housing to match. So you will need to fit the longer driven shaft from your V8 into the rebuilt trans. But to do this will mean tearing down the trans completely because the driven shaft is the first thing in and last thing out...

What you want to do is possible but a bit of work.

Long winded explanation. I may be wrong with all of the above, so if anyone out there knows the correct answer, please disregard .
05 BF XR6
10 FG XR50

Present:
81 XD Falcon 351.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post