Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default 2006 - 2009 VE Commodore used car review

I was reading this article in todays Herald-Sun Carsguide, and was taken somewhat by surprise by what they were saying about the 2006 - 2009 VE Commodore. In the past they always seemed to heap praise on the VE, but it now seems that buyers who purchased a new VE had made a poor decision. Even the newer VE's seem questionable with the 6.0 woes.

The situation regarding the extended service intervals to 15,000kms is in line with what I've always thought, it is too far, especially with the oils dealers tend to use.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...dore_2006_2009

Quote:
Graham Smith reviews the used Holden VE Commodore 2006-2009, its fine points, its flaws and what to watch for when you are buying it.

NEW - The all-new VE Commodore was heralded as the car that would keep Holden ahead of the pack when it was released in 2006.

Holden invested more than it had ever done before in developing the VE and was looking to the new car to maintain its premier position in the market. Sadly for Holden, and Ford, the market has undergone a seismic shift in the last year or so and big cars, like the Commodore and the Falcon, are now on the brink of extinction.

While that might be the modern reality cars like the VE Commodore can still represent good value for money if you prize might and power. The attractive sedan and wagon are roomy, comfortable, refined and well equipped, with lots of space to carry the family and the gear a family takes when they hit the road.

Holden offered a choice of V6s, there were two versions offering different output, a big beefy V8, and an option of a dual-fuel V6 to save a few bucks at the servo. With 180 kW and 330 Nm the base V6 was plenty powerful enough for anyone, but for those who felt they needed more there was the 195 kW version available in the sporty SV6. For even more the option of a V8 was there in the SS.

Transmission options varied between models, starting with a four- speed auto and ending with a six-speed self-shifter. There was also a manual gearbox although that wasn't a big seller, at least in the cooking models. On the road, the VE handled well, the ride was well controlled and comfortable, and performance was brisk no matter the engine. Fuel consumption was a concern, however, and an average ranging between 10 and 14 L/100 km was disappointing.

NOW

While the VE was generally well built and solid there are issues that affect it and these make it a questionable used car purchase. It's been well documented that the previous 5.7-litre V8 was troublesome, it rattled on start-up and used oil at an alarming rate; the troubles haven't gone away with the introduction of the new 6.0-litre engine.

Owners still report rattling noises and there are also reports of high oil consumption. Unfortunately it seems the 3.6-litre V6 also has some issues. One member of the trade recently contacted us to tell us about his experience with the engine, which he says can become clogged with sludge between the 15,000 km service intervals with the result that it can be severely damaged to the point of needing to be rebuilt.

All carmakers have been stretching service intervals with the object of saving the owner a few bucks on servicing costs, but in this case it would appear that the interval is too extreme and anyone with a Commodore V6 should consider having their cars serviced at 10,000 km intervals. The V6 also consumes oil and there appears to be no fix from Holden, and listen for timing chain rattle, as they wear and become noisy.

We have heard of timing chains breaking. Anyone thinking of buying a VE V6 would be well advised to have a trusted mechanic give it the once over. Other areas of concern are worn suspension bushes, listen for clunking and banging from the suspension, and electrical gremlins, check that all systems are working.

SMITHY SAYS

Appealing on the surface, but can be troublesome and should be approached with caution. 2.5 stars.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2006 - 2009 VE Commodore used car review

good thing is parts are just a few bucks. You could get a v6 engine from a low km wreck fitted for what 2 grand if yours gives up. Probably cheaper to not care about your car and throw in a new engine every so often!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Oh dear, where did the love go?

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone want to buy my 2007 SSV?
Old 19-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
good thing is parts are just a few bucks. You could get a v6 engine from a low km wreck fitted for what 2 grand if yours gives up. Probably cheaper to not care about your car and throw in a new engine every so often!!
Or you could just buy a Falcon with a proven, bulletproof 6cyl engine in it and not worry about engine failures and oil consumption at all.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

One of my friends just traded her 2006 Calais V 6.0L in... Car had 150,000 kms on the clock and ran as good as the day she picked it up new... Its all maintenance on these cars....

Oil turns to sludge after 15,000 kms?? sounds like the mechanic who did the last service didn't change the oil Smithy....
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Angeldust

wow they made the ls1 out be something its not. Lots and lots of ls1 that run sweet as pie out there, yet they mention they are oil burning rattlers.
BS article.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree
Oh dear, where did the love go?
It went along with Holden's decision to discontinue the Commodore. They're still in shock but symptoms are starting to show.
Old 19-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its funny that they ran a similar piece a year or so ago and praised its quality. Now the thruth comes out finally. Timing chains is a big one on V6's.

Holden must have dropped the cash payments to Carsguide.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Appealing on the surface, but can be troublesome and should be approached with caution. 2.5 stars.
Does this not describe just about any used car model available for sale anywhere? Any vehicle can be 'troublesome'. Falcons aren't exactly known for their reliability too - quick search on here will show that.

End of the day these reviews should only ever be used as some food for thought - you would never buy or not buy a car based on what some bloke on the internet says.
Old 19-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something noone mentions though, is the tired body shell from 2006 is the same as the new one in 2012.

Imagine buying & driving a 'new' 1978 HQ Holden, and then seeing 'P platers' driving around in the same looking car, but as a 1972 model.

Big flaw really. And the 'soon to be released' VF model will only be the HJ eqivillent (of the HQ).

Last edited by Ford17; 19-10-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
The situation regarding the extended service intervals to 15,000kms is in line with what I've always thought, it is too far, especially with the oils dealers tend to use.
Quote:
One member of the trade recently contacted us to tell us about his experience with the engine, which he says can become clogged with sludge between the 15,000 km service intervals with the result that it can be severely damaged to the point of needing to be rebuilt.
so you base your comments on smithy's comments, who based his comments on the experience of one!!! yep, one person.

my bf2 had the 15k servicing and was still going strong at 100k when i sold it. my fg has 90k on it and still going strong.

i don't think extended servicing is an issue at all.

perhaps this person hardly drove their car and 15000km was 18months worth of driving. too many variables that could contribute to sludge build up.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

probably serviced with castrol magnatec....

that sludge sticks like glue.

i must admit the pre SIDI VEs are a pretty dank purchase, esp in 4spd v6 auto.

timing chains were an issue in alloytecs, but solved now with the SIDIs.

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
Something noone mentions though, is the tired body shell from 2006 is the same as the new one in 2012.

Imagine buying & driving a 'new' 1978 HQ Holden, and then seeing 'P platers' driving around in the same looking car, but as a 1972 model.

Big flaw really. And the 'soon to be released' VF model will only be the HJ eqivillent (of the HQ).

We could go on the flip side and say, the Falcon front suspension didn't change from the EA to the FG.....So that's from 1988 to 2008...even then it was a minor change.

So you're not buying a new FG....You're buying an updated EA in that area... a 20 year old new car

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so you base your comments on smithy's comments, who based his comments on the experience of one!!! yep, one person.

my bf2 had the 15k servicing and was still going strong at 100k when i sold it. my fg has 90k on it and still going strong.

perhaps this person hardly drove their car and 15000km was 18months worth of driving. too many variables that could contribute to sludge build up.
No, I didnt base my comment on Smithys at all, only based on my observations when using this oil which dealers tend to use, when stretched to the full 15,000 km interval:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
probably serviced with castrol magnatec....

that sludge sticks like glue.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
We could go on the flip side and say, the Falcon front suspension didn't change from the EA to the FG.....So that's from 1988 to 2008...even then it was a minor change.

So you're not buying a new FG....You're buying an updated EA in that area... a 20 year old new car
WTH? Please tell us you're a disinformant from way back, yeah?
As a disinformant, you're hardly doing a reasonable job. :(

However, in realality, the VE body shape has been the same for 6 years+.
We are yet to see the VF. It probably won't be much anyway; as Holden couldn't be bothered giving it a real, unused code sequence (it justs sits in dead mans' land between the VE & VH).

VE sports variants probably still have the FE2 or FE3 suspension too, from 1986 right?

Please draw something more conclusive into the argument, if you will.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:

Mate, I couldn't care less about the suspension. No one sees it. The fact is, the VE's body has not changed since 2006. Next thing, people will say that the Falcon isn't new because its I6 goes back to 1960. Oh wait....
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #18
1TUFFUTE
Banned

some people are daft. I wonder if theyre using the same headlining glue from the xe in the FG falcons. If they are then shame on them for selling a 30 year old car in 2012.

Cant believe that these articles just pop outa nowhere. This is the random rubbish falcon has been suffering from for years. No conspiracy my ar#%$...haha
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Yep the alloytec timing chain rattle and sludge build up is very common, have had a few apart now. I have also had to change a few 4 speed and 5 speed auto's, the pump dies on the front of them and spews out transmission oil all over the ground. Link pins, just like every other commodore before it, is a terrible design and fails prematurely. Otherwise I havent seen any other major dramas.

Havent had to work on an FG as yet, but get a few BA/F and territory's. diff bushes, balljoints etc. Have done a few coil packs and intake gaskets but never anything internal. And have never seen a BA/F engine sludged up even with "extended" oil changes by the owners

Both makes have their niggling problems, with that being said theyre pretty cheap to repair. Cant say the same about Euro's....
Old 20-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

90,000ks on the FG eh Prydey, bout time you put your hand in the pocket and updated me thinks What about a nice new XR6..............
Old 20-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
Mate, I couldn't care less about the suspension. No one sees it. The fact is, the VE's body has not changed since 2006. Next thing, people will say that the Falcon isn't new because its I6 goes back to 1960. Oh wait....

The reason the Commodore body hasn't changed since 2006 is because they are trying to keep their head above water and keep Aussies in a job...The company made an announcement a few years back when the new car market crashed bigtime...It went along the line of the VF release being delayed because of it...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 20-10-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 20-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #22
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
However, in realality, the VE body shape has been the same for 6 years+.

Please draw something more conclusive into the argument, if you will.

Ok I will....The Falcon body shape hasn't changed much since the AU....So that makes it from 1998....I'm not real good at maths so perhaps you can say how many years that is.

Last edited by svo supporter; 20-10-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 20-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

FG is a totally different body to BA. Absolutely no interchanging body panels.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #24
Chopped
as in chopped

Interesting that he rates the Aurion as the best buy in that group.
Old 20-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Ok I will....The Falcon body shape hasn't changed much since the AU....So that makes it from 1998....
Even I need to step in on this one
Please tell me you're not serious? I still remember reading something from years ago, stating the massive improvements from AU/BA and how they finally brought it into the 21st century. The only thing similar to BF/FG is the headlights. They are all worlds apart

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #26
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Sludge build up
Stretched timing chains
Radiator caps split in half
Leaking heater hoses and water pumps
Lifters on 6.0s
Sump leaks
Interiors that fell apart in the first couple of years
Door sag
Front strut mounts fail early
Spring knock because of no insulation fitted from factory
The number of electrical gremlins including battery drain, info display and HSV indicators

And that's just the start. The first few years the VE weren't a very well built car. Not sure how the newer ones are fairing
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Sludge build up
Stretched timing chains
Radiator caps split in half
Leaking heater hoses and water pumps
Lifters on 6.0s
Sump leaks
Interiors that fell apart in the first couple of years
Door sag
Front strut mounts fail early
Spring knock because of no insulation fitted from factory
The number of electrical gremlins including battery drain, info display and HSV indicators

And that's just the start. The first few years the VE weren't a very well built car. Not sure how the newer ones are fairing
GO BETTER!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #28
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

I've got a 2007 VE GTS, haven't had any problems such as those described......and thats with 50,000km with a turbocharged engine.

BS article I reckon, based on maybe a handful of ****ed off owners.
Old 20-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tone
I've got a 2007 VE GTS, haven't had any problems such as those described......and thats with 50,000km with a turbocharged engine.

BS article I reckon, based on maybe a handful of ****ed off owners.
Yeh I don't thinks its 100% accurate. Maybe 99% but not 100% thats just rediculous.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop the bickering and off topic posts or I will......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post