Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default RE: Vibration in Steering Wheel

Hi All,

I have noticed of late that there is a lot of steering wheel vibration for about 10 minutes of driving before it goes away. I have recently had a wheel allignment, balance, rotation etc. However it was there prior also. Never really though much of it as my wife normally drives the car. It is only when cold, so say it was left over night and driven the next day.

Any thoughts or experinces similar guys?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
yelpir

Default Re: Vibration in Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Hi All,

I have noticed of late that there is a lot of steering wheel vibration for about 10 minutes of driving before it goes away. I have recently had a wheel allignment, balance, rotation etc. However it was there prior also. Never really though much of it as my wife normally drives the car. It is only when cold, so say it was left over night and driven the next day.

Any thoughts or experinces similar guys?
Mine does vibrate a little from cold too but goes away once it warms up (especially on cold mornings). I remember once stopping in the morning to check if I had a puncture or something else due to the vibrations. However, it never lasts for more than a few minutes, never up to 10 mins (so not sure whether we are talking about the same thing). I tend to take it easy until the car has warmed up though. I drive an MA 2.3l engine by the way.
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What tyre pressures are you running?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

39psi front and rear, normally drive with a full load i.e 5 passengers...
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it occurs to me seeing as the tyres have been rotated, it is unlikely to be a tyre problem..................unless
a. the tyres where`nt rotated
b. you have 2 tyre`s that could be dodgey........longshot, might pay to look at tyres very carefully, flat spots/delamination?
c. the balancing machine is buggered or the apprentice was doing it?
d. there is looseness in the steering gear or suspension somewhere,wheel bearing? any looseness in suspension or steering gear,hub can exaggerate the smallest out of balance problem.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check the power steering fluid level. If OK, have the fluid changed and the pump checked.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

rotors not warped?
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
it occurs to me seeing as the tyres have been rotated, it is unlikely to be a tyre problem..................unless
a. the tyres where`nt rotated
b. you have 2 tyre`s that could be dodgey........longshot, might pay to look at tyres very carefully, flat spots/delamination?
c. the balancing machine is buggered or the apprentice was doing it?
d. there is looseness in the steering gear or suspension somewhere,wheel bearing? any looseness in suspension or steering gear,hub can exaggerate the smallest out of balance problem.
So I went to Accurate Suspension to get a proper Wheel Alignment / Balance / Roatation and it appears that the passenger side front wheel has a buckle as it is out of balance when run on the wheel balancer.
By putting that wheel on the rear has now reduced the severity, however I will be taking it to Chris Neil (Wheel Revolution) to correct it. Watch this space!
Old 14-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
So I went to Accurate Suspension to get a proper Wheel Alignment / Balance / Roatation and it appears that the passenger side front wheel has a buckle as it is out of balance when run on the wheel balancer.
By putting that wheel on the rear has now reduced the severity, however I will be taking it to Chris Neil (Wheel Revolution) to correct it. Watch this space!
Ok, so here is the latest!

I had a good recommendation on the VW Forum that I am also on for the following; Ricks Wheel Alignment Albion P: 07 3852 2737.

They did my Jetta and the Mondeo.

Rick found one of the problem areas that I described above.
He found that the Steering Rack Ends require replacing (under warranty) as there is excessive movement.

I am getting this done next month when I have my 2yr service.

They once again found the buckle in the rear wheel as it could not be balanced true. They recommended the following company;

The Wheel Workshop
1/16 Jobson St ALBION
P: 07 3862 4587

Sam fitted me in straight away and fixed the buckle (slight buckle).

So the car is almost back to driving normally again...

As I said before, watch this space - the issue WILL be resolved!!!
Old 15-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so took the Mondeo in for its 2yr / 30,000kms service.
Props to Jason and the guys at Q Ford Browns Plains.
They did a great job on the service and actioned all the request items that I had outlined in conjunction with the service.
Update of ECU and PowerShift PCM where done and now is driving super smooth!
They even replaced the Interior Pollen Filter (as per the "A" scheduled Service) some people have mentioned that this does not get attended to as part of the service...

As for the steering issue, I am still not convinced!

I will monitor for the coming days and will action further as required.

So once again - watch this space...
Old 13-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so just changed the tyres. I replaced the OEM Goodyear EfficientGrip 215/50R17 with a 225/50R17 Bridgestone Turanza T001 (made in Japan). The car is now wonderful again, no more wobble in the steering wheel / tramlining or tracking issues!!! A little more than I wanted to pay, however Goodyear / Dunlop did not have stocks of the tryes I wanted in conjunction with there current promotion (Buy 3 Get 1 Free).
Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #12
Binny

I just found this thread looking for any issues with OEM tyres.
I've had a wobble at highway speeds since I bought it last June. I drive 20km of motorway each way to work and its enough for the sun visor to wobble when I have it down. 80 or under you can't notice it.
I've rotated all tyres to the spare without any difference.
Had a balance and rotation done by KTAS before christmas without any difference.
Last service at Metro Ford I asked them to investigate and they went to a lot of trouble to balance the tyres, even rotated some on the rims. As soon as I got on the motorway I could tell it was the same.
These are 215/55-16 OEM goodyears. 3 of them are dated 2011, the other 2013 so some of them may have been on since new, nearly 80,000km but they are not worn yet and have not changed much in the 22000k since I bought it.
I've been tossing up just getting new tyres all round. I had a similar issue with our AUIII wagon years ago, fitted new bridgestones and all the issues went away.
After reading this thread it's helped make my mind up so thanks!