Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default Service Scams

To be fair, to date I've been quite happy with the pricing of and service received at the Merc dealer, (that could change when I get the bill for the work today), but I think I dodged a couple of bullets this morning when i dropped it off for a major service and gearbox flush.

This morning if I'd beeen silly enought to just ask them to update my cars GPS map I'd have received a bill for $1,000 plus GST for a new disc, (can you believe it !!), just as well I asked for a price indication. I am certain they would just pull out a disc from one of their 2012 model cars and load up my GPS with the latest map but they tried to tell me the new disc has to come from Germany blah, blah, blah.

Second bullet I dodged was the car is set for some new tyres and there's a Beaurepairs shop right next to the Merc dealer. I had previously asked for them to drop the car next door and had some Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's organised for the car but Beaurepairs mucked me around something cronic and i've made different arrangements with another tyre supplier for next Monday. Anyway, here's the shocker, I looked on the job sheet and this task of dropping it off next door, (which I thought they would do as a complimentary), had been set down with a 1.0 in the hour coloum !!!

1 hour of mechanics time to drive the car next door

What prices have you been quoted for updating you car's intergrated GPS system and have you got any similar scams you'd like to warn members about ?

Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Service Scams

1hr = min charge
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Sioso
irregular member

Hey Rodge,
My mother has a 2009 Merc SL350 and when I was looking at an invoice for one of her services they fitted 4 new Pirellis 255's in 18 inch I think - $3190, I almost fell over when I saw it.

Her local tyre place was around $550 a tyre (fitted and balanced) for exact same tyres.

Nice little mark up..........
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Dragoneletra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
Bullsh!t .....
We have a 1 hour minimum charge. But our working scenario is a bit different to this one. (electrical work, includes travel time to premises etc )

If they already have the car it should have been done for free. At worst they could have put a workshop charge or consumables charge down on it.

I'd be looking for a new workshop if it was possible.

BFIII wagon, hoovered, scooped and dropped. Water/meth injected..
Getting the shopping done.....FAST
Build thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11307332

'69 XW Fairmont
bombed 351 cleveland
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244411

The reason I'll end up divorced
XE FALCON HEARSE build.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452342
Dragoneletra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
how about min hf charge.. there you happy now..

Last edited by Auslandau; 13-12-2012 at 11:43 PM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not GPS related but still to do with the rip off from the Euro car manufacturers and/or their accredited repairers.....Sunroof on misses BMW X5 stuck in the open position on one side. They did a temporary fix to get the thing closed but to fix the problem permanently so it's operational again is expected to cost around $5 k...WTF my entire factory sunroof including installation on my BA GT was only $2k !!.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 13-12-2012 at 09:37 AM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

What good is charging the customer for 1 hour of service when you **** the customer off and never see him again!?

Only an idiot would charge one hour for dropping the car next door.

Last edited by wulos; 13-12-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: We have swear filters for a reason.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Dragoneletra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hence the reason a workshop charge or environmental charge would have not raised an eyebrow.
We get charged a workshop charge, oil disposal charge, tyre disposal charge. No one complains. I don't. It's just the way it is in many places.

Build thread:

'69 XW Fairmont
bombed 351 cleveland

XE FALCON HEARSE build.
Old 13-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN.GTP View Post
Hey Rodge,
My mother has a 2009 Merc SL350 and when I was looking at an invoice for one of her services they fitted 4 new Pirellis 255's in 18 inch I think - $3190, I almost fell over when I saw it.

Her local tyre place was around $550 a tyre (fitted and balanced) for exact same tyres.

Nice little mark up..........
Yeah, sure is mate. Merc dealer is a Michelin agent and the stock factory fit tyres are Michelin Primacy HP's, (lasted 44,000 km's so a refreshing difference to the Dunlop Sport Maxx's on my SC GT-P which won't last even half that distance)...anyway I wasn't silly enough to ask them to replace the 4 tyres, (know enough about Mercedes-benz dealers not to do that).

Regarding the minmum charge thing, surely a car that's booked for a full service including transmission flush and service, probably circa 5-6 hrs labour all up plus lots of parts and heaps of oil, probably a circa $1,500 plus GST bill, you'd think if they wern't going to drop it next door for free for the tyres they'd only add 10 or 15 mins on for that task surely ???

Lesson for the day, you don't get nothing for nothing.

Was going to leave it at that but just as I was typing this I jst had a call from the dealer, Merc needs new wiper blades according to them, I think it clears the water away fine), $132 plus GST, thanks but no thanks. Takes your breath away a bit, gotta say.
Old 13-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Once of the senior managers (former owener) at work took his E63 in for a service, at Mercedes, their mechanic accidently hit a pole in the workshop and broke the front left Xenon light.

The dealership fixed it for free but told him it would normally be around $15,000 to supply and fit 1 Xenon light assembly.

Hers
BFII Ghia

Last edited by GQ_Smooth; 13-12-2012 at 10:07 AM.
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Rodge
Banned

I'm praying my xenon's and sunroof keep working properly. Geez these things are a bit scary to own. Makes repairing a Ford / FPV look cheap and that's saying something !!!!!
Old 13-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
dcm
Ridding the world of oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Not GPS related but still to do with the rip off from the Euro car manufacturers and/or their accredited repairers.....Sunroof on misses BMW X5 stuck in the open position on one side. They did a temporary fix to get the thing closed but to fix the problem permanently so it's operational again is expected to cost around $5 k...WTF my entire factory sunroof including installation on my BA GT was only $2k !!.
My better half managed to break the plastic switch the operates the electric park brake on my X5 (hauling up on it as though it was a mechanical park brake). The plastic cracked and it now comes off if you're not careful.

Apparently, the entire centre console has to be opened up, the electronic module it is embedded in replaced and then the car re-programmed to recognise the new switch - around $600.

Based on your post, I've now forbidden her from using the panoramic sunroof

The passenger-side mirror stopped automatically dipping when I select reverse quite some time ago but frankly, I don't care...

Next daily driver will be simpler.
dcm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
The passenger-side mirror stopped automatically dipping when I select reverse quite some time ago but frankly, I don't care...

Next daily driver will be simpler.
Same thing happened to her LH mirror 2 years or so ago , then one day recently out of the blue it starts working again !
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
robbyj
Rob

this is why i'd never want to own one of these cars.

Imagine how many big business men they get that they can charge an arm and a leg for without them even questioning the cost.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
What good is charging the customer for 1 hour of service when you p1s$ the customer off and never see him again!?

Only an idiot would charge one hour for dropping the car next door.
It probably means that business is good enough to give it a try. Or they have a steady stream of fresh business.

That 1 hr charge is a joke, especially when the car is there for several hrs already.

I wonder how many of these invoices are generated for big business, corporate clients where the cost isn't coming out of an individuals pocket directly?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

SHOULDA GONE TO SPECSAVERS

Oh wait....Nevermind

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj View Post
this is why i'd never want to own one of these cars.

Imagine how many big business men they get that they can charge an arm and a leg for without them even questioning the cost.
Couldn't agree more, I've changed my "car I would buy if I win lotto" as a result of this.

No point getting something you can't afford to look after it and send you broke.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I am certain they would just pull out a disc from one of their 2012 model cars and load up my GPS with the latest map but they tried to tell me the new disc has to come from Germany blah, blah, blah.
Don't think that's possible. The CD needs to be in it to run so you would need your own one.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.gpsbites.com/mercedes-ben...-system-update
Old 13-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

This is the reason why I will never buy a EURO car.

Just wait till the warranty runs out, that gold Amex of yours will get a work out then.

I don't know what some of you guys expect. Owning a sub 150 - 200 kay car?
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its good to see how much it is to have these cars serviced. Makes our Fords seem cheap by comparo. I recently purchased a 2004 BMW 330i for the missus, sold a 2003BA XR6 and heres a few things I've found. The beemer had 1/3 the use but had more wear in some places for similar aged car, klms were correct as by the servicing log book. I took key to local dealer for them to read the service history but because it was serviced somewhere else they had no history. Why with all this technology cant they share the service history between dealers? I asked how much the next service will be, its time or klm based. $1100 basic and then a coolant flush, 2 yearly, and a brake fluid flush, 2 yearly added another $400. I really wanted the dealer to do the service to make sure all was good but I am thinking otherwise now. My FG XR6T was only $490 for 60k service recently, 1/3 the cost of BMW and both A services.
Old 13-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
Rodge
Banned

Thanks, do you know if they do update maps for Australasia ?

Dash, of course euro buyers go into it with their eyes open but $1,000 to update a GPS map, (software only) or an hour's labour, (at M Benz hourly rate), to take a vehicle next door is just price gouging.

I agree with others, if mine was a big corporate account or a really wealthy businessman, there's every chance the owner would just walk in and say, oh by the way please update the GPS system and orgainise those tyres for me.

In the pre GFC days when I ordered this car and timnes were booming there may have been some room for this sort of excess, but I for one expect business owners to treat their customers more fairly than this. I'll be re-thinking where I get that car serviced in the future. Today's encounter has been quite an eye-opener.
Old 13-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
zilo
BANNED

I just burn a copy of my mates fairmont ghia DVD every year and a few of us chip in a few bucks each to share the cost.
But that is the sensys database ..

Turns out the fairmont ghia sat nav works in lexus,mitsubishi,toyoto etc.
But cant be copied for another fairmont...LOL
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #24
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Thanks, do you know if they do update maps for Australasia ?

Dash, of course euro buyers go into it with their eyes open but $1,000 to update a GPS map, (software only) or an hour's labour, (at M Benz hourly rate), to take a vehicle next door is just price gouging.

I agree with others, if mine was a big corporate account or a really wealthy businessman, there's every chance the owner would just walk in and say, oh by the way please update the GPS system and orgainise those tyres for me.

In the pre GFC days when I ordered this car and timnes were booming there may have been some room for this sort of excess, but I for one expect business owners to treat their customers more fairly than this. I'll be re-thinking where I get that car serviced in the future. Today's encounter has been quite an eye-opener.
It's everywhere now mate - I just spent $47 at McDonalds for a family of 3. Its all getting out of control. McDonalds do not even put the full menu on the boafd as their pricing is somewhat simliar to Mercs.
Old 13-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rodge..cann't find Australia on their website, shoulda checked before posting!!!
But whereis does for $199
http://www.whereismaps.com/buy-map-updates_built-in-car-navigation_product.aspx?view=16&_$ja=kw:mercedes+m ap+update|cgn:Mercedes|cgid:1555436186|tsid:19085| cn:Car+-+Bosch|cid:63532466|lid:17849185586|mt:Broad|nw:se arch|crid:15427965746&s_kwcid=TC|18416|mercedes%20 map%20update||S|b|15427965746&devicedesc=Mercedes+ Benz+V18+Map+Update

Mercedes Benz
Aust V18 DX (CD) Navigation System Update for Mercedes Vehicle

This one-off update replaces your built-in maps with the latest map information.
What you get:

A single CD with the updated map.

How to install the update:

Simply insert CD to your vehicle's electronic navigation unit, where the latest map data is ready to load to your built in car navigation.

Media Item

Watch this video
Learn how to install your update.

The number of updates you get:

Just one.

$199.00 inc.GST

FG is same price...

Last edited by csv8; 13-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Should have dropped it in to the tyre place first, then got them to drop it over at Merc after the tyres were done.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
1hr = min charge
It always appeals to my sense of humour that those who constantly scream about "1hr min charge" when maybe 20 minutes of work is done are the same ones who DEMAND "38hr min charge" per week even though they have smoke/drink/freshair/AFF/facebook/babble to mates on the phone/whatever breaks and actually do maybe 10-20 hours of productive work........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #28
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
It always appeals to my sense of humour that those who constantly scream about "1hr min charge" when maybe 20 minutes of work is done are the same ones who DEMAND "38hr min charge" per week even though they have smoke/drink/freshair/AFF/facebook/babble to mates on the phone/whatever breaks and actually do maybe 10-20 hours of productive work........
I sorta agree with you..but when charged $120 an hour and an apprentice works on the car???? who is paid $15 an hour ?? then I suppose you have his supervisor to factor in, as well..makes it difficult to gauge real cost..
Old 13-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I sorta agree with you..but when charged $120 an hour and an apprentice works on the car???? who is paid $15 an hour ?? then I suppose you have his supervisor to factor in, as well..makes it difficult to gauge real cost..
Plus all his training.
Plus the tools he is using.
Plus his holidays/workers comp/whatever.
Plus the shed he is working in.
Plus all the insurances, OHS and other red tape.
Plus the fact that you will be charged how long it would take a tradesman rather than the extra whatever hours it took because he was learning and might have had to do it more than once or got someone to help him.

It is amazing how so many PAYG workers think they are worth $lots and the whole reason their employer exists is to pay them as all other costs in runnung the business and providing all the equipment, buildings, electricity, communications and whatever else are covered by the "money tree".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #30
Dragoneletra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 Flappist.

Once you start running your own show you start realising that, hey, the profits really AREN'T that huge.

Build thread:

'69 XW Fairmont
bombed 351 cleveland

XE FALCON HEARSE build.