Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
ShootsWithFilm

Default Dealers offering 5 year warranties...

Greetings all,

On my search for my new (or near new) Territory, I have noticed one particular dealer in Adelaide including 5 year warranties on their new cars.

Now, in the past, I have always said no to extended warranties, because of the restrictive terms and conditions and the fact that they generally were pretty useless (and expensive).

I am afraid to contact them and ask any questions, as I put that particular dealer in the 'Predatory' category. (Dealer has multiple locations in Adelaide...starts with J...need I say more).

Anyone had any dealings with these warranties of late?

ShootsWithFilm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dealers offering 5 year warranties...

Unlikely they've changed much. They generally have a couple different "levels" of cover. All of them will have a set limit ($ wise) per warranty claim, and some will limit the amount of warranty claims they will allow.

So for example, let's say the transmission on your Territory dies and you're out of manufacturer warranty, generally the dealer warranty will cover say the first $1000 or so (will vary depending on cover etc) of the total cost of the repair.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ford does offer a full factory backed extended warranty option. If it is infant that policy then I don't see the issue.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
ShootsWithFilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Ford does offer a full factory backed extended warranty option. If it is infant that policy then I don't see the issue.
Just found some more details. It doesn't appear to be the Ford extended warranty. It states maximum claims of $2k.

I am always a bit dubious of this dealer. They are one of the more 'visible' dealers in Adelaide (annoying ads), but I often think a lot of there deals are to good to be true.
Old 13-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Just looked on their web site, it's not a factory backed warranty it's their own extended warranty. Usually not worth the paper they're printed on. If you get it for nothing it's up to you, but read the terms & conditions on the web site.
The vehicle HAS to be serviced at regular intervals by them. If you don't want them servicing it, it's useless.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
davids_gxl

6 years warrenty at jeffersons in frankston.
davids_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the Harrier warranty on my GHIA, one claim in 5 years. Repairs not done by selling dealer. Authority from selling dealer was required and granted, insurance covered repair.
Rear lower trailing arm bushes. Getting it serviced by selling dealer is cheaper than Ford.
Harrier service $235 every 6 months. Warranty expires in March and won't be extending $1100 for $2k cover for 3 years or 175,00kms.....as mentioned, check the fine print....
Old 14-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I have the optional Ford extended warranty on our 2007 Territory Ghia, it expires late this year. In the past two years, after the normal three year period, numerous items including half the suspension seemingly, has been replaced when faults found at routine servicing, all done without question or bother, our experience has been exactly the same as in the first three years, all easy done without bother at Etheridge Ford, where I bought the extended warranty after buying the Territory secondhand from a Toyota dealer.
Old 14-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

If it is through JARVIS ford in Adelaide, dont waste your time or money.. I had a very bad experience and basically with a $6,500 repair bill due to the head/head gasket on one of my FPVs, and after having fully following their requirement of having it serviced by them (and paying top dollar) they refused to cover any of the repair. Car was 100% stock standard even with original air filter, never tuned etc. And was about 3 1/2 years old with about 60,000 on the clock.

PM me for more info.
Old 14-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
ShootsWithFilm

Cheers bangm - you hit the nail on the head. I was just curious, as I had only ever really seen these warranties on second hand cars, not new.
Old 15-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

we had about a years factory warranty left on teh turbo when we got it
the diff bushes were shagged and about 2 months before it ran out we had to fight tooth and nail to get them fixed
the prob
the warranty only covered up to 500 bucks
the cost to do the bushes was just over 800 bucks
so ok, we'll pay the difference?
nope, doesnt work that way

we ended up getting the bushes done free of charge becasue we had emailed them saying we are booking in for a service and would like to get a few things looked at and fixed under warranty
one was the bushes and the other thing was the air leaking side mirrors
we said we'll bring it in on the date agreed ato get this work done under warranty
they replied saying no worries and we'll get the work done
when we got there we dropped the car off, grabbed the loan car and headed to the cinema
they called us at 2.30 (car due to be picked up at 3pm) saying they hadnt done anything as the car wasnt under warranty!!
we laughed and said did you look in the glove box at the bok and all the paperwork when we bought the car from you??

long story short, because we had copies of the email conversations where we had asked for it to be fixed under the remaining years warranty that was still on the car, and their response read like they agreed to do...they had to do it.
had to kick a stink up tho, but it went to the top boss at that dealer/repairer and he said 'just do it'.
they tried to sell us the extended warranty too when we bought it, like they do with everyone
we declined, too expensive and plenty of things were not covered, you know, the expensive things and not one thing on the interior
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post