Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default is the falcon big enough to be a family car?

We have a b series falcon sedan. We have a young child as well. By the time you fit the pram, a few bags and pieces the car ends up feeling a little full. Going to Woolworths and there isn't much space to put stuff. A modern day falcon is bigger than older falcons which many used as family cars happily.

The Mrs is saying to sell it and grab a kluger or territory or cherokee. Maybe a commodore sportswagon.

Interior space would be about the same as falcon and sure the rear storage is more in the SUV but at an expense of $40k+

Are we still using falcons as family cars and coping or has everyone else moved to a suv?

What are you using as family car? How you coping?

Old 27-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default Re: is the falcon big enough to be a family car?

Our AU Fairlane happily fits all those items with ease.

If you want more rear space, get a Falcon wagon & save yourself around 30 of that 40k....
Old 27-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
theboxmike

Sounds like she wants the soccer mum image.
Old 27-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
335POWER
formerly Troy23

really, it all depends on how big your family is and how young the kid/s are.

Your kid is still obviously pram age, need to take stuff incase you need to change him/her.

If you boot has nothing but the pram and shopping, while the change accessories can be in the back seat with the kid.

Mods: Pacemaker competition headers, hi flow cat, x-force cat back exhaust, K&N air filter, Kings SSSL springs, Herrod CAI, Powerbond under drive, XR6T injectors[B]
Old 27-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
RAPID_BA
Banned

We have a monster pram which takes up most the boot. Change accessories in back seat already. Its a bit awkward to get pram in and out of boot. Sort of got to manoeuvre it in. She is worried her back is going to cop it

We cope but the test will be a short trip we intend to take and stay for a week. Add some luggage for both of us and some increased baby gear and the falcon feels small.
Old 27-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: is the falcon big enough to be a family car?

Never underrated the addiction people develop for the high riding position, visibility, ease of access bolting bubs in and for creaky bones etc.
Terri or Kuga!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV

Last edited by ryeman; 27-01-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 27-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: is the falcon big enough to be a family car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart View Post
Our AU Fairlane happily fits all those items with ease.

If you want more rear space, get a Falcon wagon & save yourself around 30 of that 40k....
+1

Our AU wagon is 14 years old and has been going strong for the 10 years we've had it.

Bought it when we found out we were pregnant with the 1st in 2003. We now have two and the wagon has always carried what we needed.

We are now at the stage where our kids are older and we carry less stuff on our interstate trips. I usually get a clear view out the rear screen now. For a number of years though, it was always stacked to the roof.

We've pondered a Territory but I think we'll end up with another Futura Wagon, a 2007 BFII or so. There's plenty of BF MkIII's around but they're only in XT spec. You could grab one of those cheap and upspec it a bit/lot.

LPG makes these cars cheap to run too.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
4 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

You'll be stunned by what you can get into a Focus hatch that you can't in a Falcon,
try a Dryer or a Washing machine, a set of cabinets or even a Gang Box.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try leaving the kitchen sink home,parents nowadays have to pack the house everytime they leave .use to get around in a te cortina when younger with no probs,its not the vehicles its the parents
Old 27-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever you do don't get a jeep. My son has a cherokee and has just been quoted $6500 for miscellaneous work, not including engine or gearbox replacement. $800 a side for steering knuckles plus fitting (over $2000 all up) among other things.
jpd80, Dryer or a Washing machine, a set of cabinets or even a Gang Box. Does that include 3 kids? Prams/strollers?
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

And a sportswagon has LESS space than a sedan I reckon. Second vote for an old school wagon, reliability of a falcon, economy of LPG and HEAPS of room. Pity most women dont like to drive them as they ain't keeping up with the joneses in their (insert whatever SUV).
6 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

The problem you have is the huge pram. Ditch the pram and use a stroller, don't ditch the Falcon! I have 3 kids in my falcon aged- Newborn, 2, and 5. With strollers it is easy.
5 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

It's plenty big enough. The Falcon just can't win with people. Apparently it's too big and that's why it's not selling. Now it's not big enough?
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
6 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

And my woman doesn't need to keep up with the Joneses. She enjoys driving the XR8. I'm lucky. She's also lucky...'cos she knows we aren't buying an SUV anytime soon.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 27-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does a Terry or Kluger really have that much more rear space than a Falcon boot?
Old 27-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I will tell you what peoples problem is these days...the stupid size of prams people buy.

We have a McLaren double (side by side) and it folds down nicely and fits just fine in our Falcon, there is plenty of room left for shopping and if not use your noggin and dont go mass-shopping with the kids.

The Falcon is fine, we recently hired a X-Trail (CVT) and its a POS..seriously, sure there is a bit more vertical boot space but thats it. Front row is not as big, the second row is pathetic once we put the same car seats in...it sucked balls to be honest.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

My wife won't even consider a falcon because of the sedan boot opening. She is short and she has trouble lifting a pram or large item up and through a sedan boot. If it had a hatch style opening (but could still be a sedan shape) where the boot hinged at the top of the rear window instead of the bottom it would be a different story. We have a Mazda 6 wagon that was bought because it is easier to put things in rather than a bigger boot. We very rarely take out the (very clever) cargo cover.

I don't know why people like SUV's or 4x4's for family cars. I have a new Ranger and we both find it much easier to put the kids in the Mazda than the Ranger. The Mazda is a pleasure to drive where the Ranger feels like you are driving on a bar stool.

Last edited by naddis01; 27-01-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 27-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

falcon has been fine for us, can get the stroller in the boot plus groceries, was a bit more effort in getting a large dryer with packing home in/on the falcon boot last year , but tying the boot lid down over it did the job no worries.
Old 27-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
The problem you have is the huge pram. Ditch the pram and use a stroller, don't ditch the Falcon! I have 3 kids in my falcon aged- Newborn, 2, and 5. With strollers it is easy.
+1 exactly the same.

As a matter of fact I found it much harder putting the child in the middle seat with the X Trail than I did the Falcon, I can step right into the back of the Falcon were with the X Trail I had to lift and stretch for all of it.

The only reason I would go a Tez over a Falcon is for the AWD..thats it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

+1 for commodore sportwagon.

grab a 2010/2011 series 1 sv6 for next to nothing, nice big rear cargo bay.

plenty of pull from 3.6 sidi motor too, 3.27 diff gears get up and move nicely.

interiors a bit dated, but grab a series 2 if that is important to you.

Ice
Old 27-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheaper to buy a smaller pram.

My missus was the same, we need a smaller car (sell XR6 buy Outback). We need a bigger car (7 seats, never use them!) (sell outback buy Territory). Both within 12 months. 90% of the time we used her Focus because we would not be ****ed changing baby seats from that to the "Family Car"

Would have been cheaper to just keep what we had in the first place.

Not the mention that the Territory is the biggest hunk of **** I've owned. Crap build quality, crap engineering, gutless and thirsty.

Keep the Falcon change the wife, if her back is going you probably need a younger model.
Old 27-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

+1 more for the wagon. Same here as for GK, started the family in 04 now got 1 of each and the wagon has always done the job, even with the spare wheel in the back because of the gas and like GK I've only just been able to see out of the back window again in the last couple of years, but only just, because we take all our bedding and a cooler bag with our food so we don't have to buy take away on the road, and a 12v travel oven, and picnic bag with cutlery, utensils, plates, condiments, napkins etc. along with our clothes. Then there's the emergency tool kit & box plus the trolley jack and 12v rattle gun, oh, and the water, usually a 10L box and on extended trips there's also kids toys.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's going to last because you are going to keep it till the kids are old enough to not trash it, so at least 10 years, ours we've had for 8 years and 300k, because you WILL give them whatever it takes to shut them up on the road and this will include food, drinks, lollies, any piece of $2 crap they take a fancy to in Go Lo or the Reject Shop that'll keep them entertained for an hour and they will trash the back of the car whether you like it or not so get used to the idea.

A couple of items that are a must these days for travelling with kids old enough to say "Are we there yet!":
- A stable table
- Coloured pencils and a colouring/activity book
- Headrest DVD player
- Spill proof lids on the drink bottles because they WILL spill anything you give them even if it has a pop top

I'm sure there are more that others will suggest but that'll give you a heads up of what to expect. Welcome to the world of parenthood.:yelr otflm

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Having had a couple of current model Falcons and a Territory, I can confidently say the Territory is simply a better car when practicality is considered. It outshines the Falcon everywhere. Make no mistake the cabin is definitely bigger than a Falcon's and you feel it, the cargo area is enormous, the driving position is better, storage compartments are more plentiful (although it's a shame they deleted the storage bin on top of the ICC in the new model) and the ride is obviously better. As a family car, you cannot beat a Territory.

I'd also like to point out that we're living in a day and age where a Mazda3 is being referred to as a family car - personally I think it's crazy but if you can squeeze the kids and luggage into the back of that thing whilst saving $7 on fuel then you deserve that 7 bucks.
Old 27-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's prams that are too big, not cars that are too small...

When our kids were, well, kids, about 25 years ago, we used to throw in a fold up pram (one of those stroller type small-frame jobbies with a lay back seat for when bub needed a sleep), and a nappy bag...and that was about it. The nappy bag was fairly small too.
Now when the kids bring the grandkids for a visit, they have a literal boot full of stuff...even going up town is a major effort. Prams now are huge, and don't seem to fold up very small. Nappy bags are massive as well, with more compartments than you could ever use.
I've no idea why prams have grown so large. If we put one of our grandkids prams in the boot of the G6E (with the factory subwoofer taking up space at the back upper section), there's room for precious little else.

Even when we had our 100 series Landcruiser, if we put a pram and nappy bag and toy bag in the "boot", you'd be surprised how much space they take up in even such a huge vehicle.
Old 27-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #25
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Having had a couple of current model Falcons and a Territory, I can confidently say the Territory is simply a better car when practicality is considered. It outshines the Falcon everywhere. Make no mistake the cabin is definitely bigger than a Falcon's and you feel it, the cargo area is enormous, the driving position is better, storage compartments are more plentiful (although it's a shame they deleted the storage bin on top of the ICC in the new model) and the ride is obviously better. As a family car, you cannot beat a Territory.

I'd also like to point out that we're living in a day and age where a Mazda3 is being referred to as a family car - personally I think it's crazy but if you can squeeze the kids and luggage into the back of that thing whilst saving $7 on fuel then you deserve that 7 bucks.

How many kms has your current model Terry done? Live with it for a couple of years and 200,000 kms and then tell us how good it has been. ................if they're so good how come you never see one as a taxi? Not all of us can afford to update our cars every 12-24 months so we have to go for the best value for money vehicle that will last and half a million taxi drivers can't be wrong when they drive Falcon wagons because of their reliability, economy and space.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 27-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty View Post
It's plenty big enough. The Falcon just can't win with people. Apparently it's too big and that's why it's not selling. Now it's not big enough?
The problem with Falcon (sized sedans) is that the interior space just isn't as accessible as it is in a station wagon, crossover or even a humble hatchback. For the amount of space it takes up it just isn't versatile enough.
Old 27-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #27
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post

Well I recon a 2008 Mazda 3 with 80,000kms on it won't require a full suspension overhaul because of under engineering. Won't be a thirsty or as slow or as expensive.

There a few Territory die-hards with blinkers on, but the car buying public has woken up. People on here complain about Chinese build quality and engineering. Hard to support an industry that serves up ****.
Old 27-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #28
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife has a fiesta.
Fits both our kids and the shopping.
Even took all 4 of us plus both their bikes to the park today AND stopped off at the shops for re-supplies (3 x grocery bags).

Remember folks, it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it !

In saying this, however, I would prefer her to be driving in a territory, purely because it would be more comfortable on the rare occassion we take longer trips... But the fiesta is quite entertaining through the twisties...
Old 27-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #29
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
How many kms has your current model Terry done? Live with it for a couple of years and 200,000 kms and then tell us how good it has been. ................if they're so good how come you never see one as a taxi? Not all of us can afford to update our cars every 12-24 months so we have to go for the best value for money vehicle that will last and half a million taxi drivers can't be wrong when they drive Falcon wagons because of their reliability, economy and space.

Bushbasher
You serious, seen Terry taxis, police cars, ambulances.
Old 27-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #30
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't say I've seen a Territory Taxi....if there is it's probably getting a weekly suspension rebuild.
Closed Thread