Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Hell Cat

Default sealing up a shed/weather proofing tips? shed upgrades?

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience sealing up their sheds from mice/creepy crawlys/weather?

My shed is a 6x9 stratco, the outer sheet metal over hangs against the slab, fortunately I have never had any water leak into the shed (Only when pressure washing near the doors.

I would like to try to seal the gap between the slab and sheet to prevent dirt/mice etc coming in through the gap, I unwrapped my engine that was has been tucked in the corner to discover mice had made a nest.
Im also hoping to try to seal up the top where the roof meets the walls.

Im (reluctantly) letting the mrs have one bay of the shed to set up her sewing equipment because she's starting her sewing business back up again.
The fabrics are quite expensive so I'd like to prevent any un-necessary damage....

After that I will cover the floor with lino or the industiral resin/flake coating, I have been
thinking about insulating the shed also and putting up smooth walls inside to make it a bit more comfortable in summer and also look better on the inside. Ply/chipboard/gyrprock? Not sure how it would hold up as it expands/contracts with the weather.

Overhead wall storage? Have you done it?

Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Hell Cat

Default Re: sealing up a shed/weather proofing tips? shed upgrades?

Outside

Inside (note the small gap)

Top (more gaps)
Old 14-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
05_ENFORCER

Proper way, Vermaseal or Retroseal rural, cheats way, Fillafoam for the floor to walls.

Can't remember the name of the high density foam stuff that packs the gap wall to roof sheets sorry

PA door can use std weather strip or brush strip.

Only real way of reducing/eliminating the ingress of dust/dirt etc is to positive ventilate using filtered air or an evap aircond unit.

It doesn't need to be mounted on the roof either.

Old 14-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

I was going to use expanding foam in the gaps between slab and walls in the next few weeks - hopefully that will do.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post
Proper way, Vermaseal or Retroseal rural, cheats way, Fillafoam for the floor to walls.

Can't remember the name of the high density foam stuff that packs the gap wall to roof sheets sorry

PA door can use std weather strip or brush strip.

Only real way of reducing/eliminating the ingress of dust/dirt etc is to positive ventilate using filtered air or an evap aircond unit.

It doesn't need to be mounted on the roof either.

the name of the impregnated foam is commonly called B.I.P. (Bituman impregnated polyurethane)

go to any shed or carport sales and ask for B.I.P. it comes in rolls of 10 mtr's (from memory)

I agree with all of the above.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

I just had a look at the Titan website and I might get this instead now. I'm sure Stratco would do something similar.

http://www.titanlite.com.au/parts/ve...-for-qdek.html
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! looks like it would do the job, just check the thickness.

if it is a bit loose it will fall out (happened to me) it needs to "expand" into the gap in order to be secure, just ask about its lifespan as well, some only last about 10 years.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR MAN View Post
I just had a look at the Titan website and I might get this instead now. I'm sure Stratco would do something similar.

http://www.titanlite.com.au/parts/ve...-for-qdek.html
That's the stuff I was trying to describe

Old 14-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat View Post
I have been
thinking about insulating the shed also and putting up smooth walls inside to make it a bit more comfortable in summer and also look better on the inside. Ply/chipboard/gyrprock? Not sure how it would hold up as it expands/contracts with the weather.

Overhead wall storage? Have you done it?
I lined the walls of my shed with 16mm White particle board. Just pack it up app. 20mm off the slab & screw straight to the steel framework. It looks good as is or you can paint it if you want. It also makes it easy to hang hooks, shelving etc to the walls.

Just go to any good sized joinery & ask them if they have any cover sheets that they want to get rid of. Most of them are only too happy to offload them.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
Hell Cat

Thanks for the info.

I will hopefully buy some of the retroseal tomorrow. (Bit expensive)