Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Cammyron
Starter Motor

Default Pirelli P6 Four Season Tyres

Hi Guys,

I will soon be up for a new set of front tyres on my MB Titanium TDi. The tyres that were on it when i purchased it three years ago are Pirelli P6 Four Season (235/40 225). I would like to replace them with the same tyres but after a bit of a google they don't seem to exist anymore. Does anyone know if they have been superseded by a newer model?

It will make me twitch inside having odd tyres on the front vs the back but i am willing to listen to any suggestions for an alternative (the backs have still got a heap to go on them). The fronts have worn on the inner and outer of the tyre, happy for any suggestions for that too (over inflation maybe? though i keep them at 34psi which i thought was in spec).

CHeers

Cam

Cammyron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Pirelli P6 Four Season Tyres

Hi Cammyron,

Inner and outer edge wear is (usually) indicative of under inflation, the middle of the tread "collapses" leaving the edges to do the work.

If the tyres have not been rotated according to a schedule, and the tread depth on the front tyres in the middle is reasonable, then I would swap the rear and front tyres to get the benefit of the good tread on the front.

I would also increase the front tyre pressure to 36 psi and keep a close eye on what happens over the next few thousand kilometres.

This will probably give you up to 90% of the distance already covered and then you can replace all tyres together to maintain the same tyre on all wheels.

However if the edge wear is down to the wear indicators then you will have to consider replacement. I wouldn't get too fussed about different tyres front to rear as long as the tyres on the same axle are identical in tread pattern.

If you go the rotation route the I'd probably run the rears at 38 psi to even out the wear.

Good luck

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Cammyron
Starter Motor

Default Re: Pirelli P6 Four Season Tyres

Awesome, thanks Alan. Have no idea what the previous rotation schedule was (i am the second owner). I am guessing that they haven't been rotated. New tyres were fitted at 32,000km and they are now at 75,000km so i am not complaining too much if i have to replace them.
Cammyron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post