Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving in New Zealand

I'm planning a holiday in New Zealand in February next year, based predominantly in Auckland but will make the trip to Hobbiton and to Wellington by road.

Any tips on driving on NZ roads and generally getting around Auckland and Wellington? Are there any road rules which differ significantly from those of Australia (in particular WA) that I should be aware of?

Finally, are there any car rental companies in Auckland where I can rent a Falcon?

2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Driving in New Zealand

Did a week in NZ in a camper and loved it. Not much was different actually in terms of driving and rules that I could recall.

Any of the regular car companies should carry falcons for their large car segment. Problem is, most won't confirm the badge, just the size.

Meaning you could arrive and be given a Commodore or Aurion. Which is why they advertise "or similar" when you book.

Space out your driving times and bring a really good camera... If you haven't been to NZ before you will be stopping often to take in the wonderful scenery.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

They still use the rule of right turning vehicle has right of way over a left turning vehicle (Make sense?). We used to have it here but it changes in the 90's.

I spent two weeks driving a camper too. Heaps of fun!
However I would suggest getting out of the city, so much to see.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
They still use the rule of right turning vehicle has right of way over a left turning vehicle (Make sense?). We used to have it here but it changes in the 90's.
Incorrect, the rule changed a year or two ago, left turning has right of way
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

You'll find them to be more considerate on the roads than us. We noticed that straight away, and it is a nice place to drive. Would love to do it in something nice like a GT.

We had someone pull in front of us, and I was thinking that we were finally seeing a moron, but he then went really wide and slow, and waved us through. I was very surprised and thankful that he didn't make his move my problem, and was so courteous. You'll love it.

In the week that we were there, I didn't see one Silver Fern (confirming my suspicion that they send their dropkicks over here), but the fuel will make you cry when you need it. Oh well, it's worth it for the relaxed drive.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drivers are more retarded than Aus.

Hertz still do Falcon. Don't think I've seen any in Avis or Budget line up for a while. VF is a better place to sit in anyway.

If you want to avoid the main route (and the brain dead drivers) down the island PM me and I can give you better alternatives.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hertz is your best bet for getting a Falcon.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
zilo
BANNED

Keep the fuel tank filled up.

It can be hard to find fuel at times.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Keep the fuel tank filled up.

It can be hard to find fuel at times.
Most service stations have it, never had a problem finding one
5 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Did 10 days in the South Island in an FG in 2009. Traffic similar to Aus. But yes, need to be aware of slower campervans and the slow 'wicked' vans. Other than that, enjoy.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Incorrect, the rule changed a year or two ago, left turning has right of way
Well it has been a few years since i was there.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a police purge on 'overseas' drivers not being used to left side road driving and distance driving (hmm think we have same problem). these tourists have caused a few fatal car accidents recently.

ie 5-10 hours on plane, grab rental vehicle and off they go to see the long white cloud, sometime permanently.

The North Is is more reminesant to Aus with driving habits.... gotta get there first, speed signs are indication only but can be ignored etc
love the road work gangs have females working on them.

Over the past few years have travelled all over several times, having family involved in car buying from Auckland and selling in Dunedin/CHCH etc helps too. They supply car I drive and pay half of fuel and usually 2-3 weeks to get there.
Original Mini, FG falcon, Audis, Mercs, lot of Jap stuff we have never seen, VW Phateon...(very nice)
Old 21-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving in NZ is fine once your out of Auckland, but Auckland is a poorly planed city with traffic delays every where and plenty if idiot drivers in cars, buses, bikes and heaps of arrogant cyclists.

Great once you get out of Auckland though, just dont try and go south out of Auckland in the afternoon or evening, especially not on a friday.
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

^^^ or even better, just get the hell out of Auckland, that's what I'm about to do, I've come to hate most of it.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I hired a red FG XR6 Falcon in Auckland when I was there with the family a few years ago

Once you get out of town you'll love driving in New Zealand (well compared to NSW anyway). Better maintained roads, more scenic and less traffic. The south island is even better than the north in that regard but I was in a stupid Kluger (Highlander there) by then.

Only downside of having the fast red Falcon was the speeding fine I got in the mail a month or so after we got back.
Old 21-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Highlights of that trip I remember as a kid.

- The picturesque scenery at Cambridge, East of Hamilton along the Waikato River.

- The forestry between Tokoroa and Taupo.

- The drive from Lake Taupo to Waiourou, where you get a good views of the lake and the adjacent Tongariro national park from the Eastern side of the Mount along the Desert Rd. However you may want to take the alternate road down the western side of Lake Taupo between Te Kuiti and Wanganui.

- Stopping to get a pie at Taihape. Good spot for a toilet break and a bite.

- Seeing how far you can get the speedo needle on the Himitangi Strait between Sanson and Foxton.

- Stopping at the honey shop on the side of teh road at Foxton to buy an ice cream.

- Fish & Chips at Paremata

Once you get to about 25km out of Wellington, say around Plimmerton, it becomes built up with roads becoming dual carriageway and divided. Wellington is a beautiful city on a nice day with a picturesque harbour. Surrounded by hills, a lot of houses are built on slopes with access via narrow winding roads. I actually love Wellington despite its often inclement weather and will move back there one day.

Speed limit is generally 50km/h except on motorways and rural areas when it becomes 100.

Unless you're coming into an urban area the roads throughout the North Island are single carriageway and often not divided. The government has promised for years to upgrade State Hwy 1 (the main highway between Auckland & Wellington) , but nothing happens. In fact quality of roads in Australia , especially Queensland, (but maybe not NSW) is far superior to NZ in my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
mjrstar

When planning your trip bank on ~85kph average speed, given the number of small towns and twisties you won't average 100kph like you can in stretches of australia.
mjrstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
speed signs are indication only but can be ignored etc
No, those speed signs you refer to are recommended for corners etc only, you cant not ignore all the speed signs, otherwise we would have no speed limits, what are you thinking giving that advise

Old 21-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
No, those speed signs you refer to are recommended for corners etc only, you cant not ignore all the speed signs, otherwise we would have no speed limits, what are you thinking giving that advise
Yes I absolutely agree, the recommended speed signs for corners are a guide only, but for the actual speed limit, these should be followed. They are a limit after all, and if you go too far over them you could find yourself catching a bus the rest of the trip.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #20
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

As a rule of thumb I generally try and double those recommended corner speeds. They are recommended for campervans and the like not really cars lol.
Old 21-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #21
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
As a rule of thumb I generally try and double those recommended corner speeds. They are recommended for campervans and the like not really cars lol.
I thought that was compulsory
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #22
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrstar View Post
When planning your trip bank on ~85kph average speed, given the number of small towns and twisties you won't average 100kph like you can in stretches of australia.
Yep 85 kph for North Island, 90+ kph for South Island.

Also if your going between Akl & Welly on State Hwy 1 ensure your cruise control is set to the speed limit on the Waikato Expressway, Desert Road and the Himatangi Straights.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #23
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
I thought that was compulsory
Even at night time and in the rain it is still safe to go twice the reccomended corner speed
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #24
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Even at night time and in the rain it is still safe to go twice the reccomended corner speed
Yep win it or bin it
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #25
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
These are probably the greatest difference in driving between the two countries from my experience. I drive the speed of the advisory signs in loaded 45 tonne truck/trailer no worries, and twice than on motorbike.. Aus one need to be adhered to more on 4 wheels.
Also there is a flat limit of 100k open road. No dropping down to 60 or 80k at the hint of a hill or twisty section of road, seems the authorities give the benefit of the doubt and entrust kiwi drivers with some responsibility. Which is good considering vast majority couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs ****.

The revenue raising filth are everywhere. If you have cruise use it IMO.

Last edited by GasoLane; 21-10-2014 at 10:37 PM.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #26
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Also if your going between Akl & Welly on State Hwy 1 ensure your cruise control is set to the speed limit on the Waikato Expressway, Desert Road and the Himatangi Straights.
Yep, Desert Road. That's where I got done
Old 21-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #27
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a regular visitor to car club general meeting. conditions are much more OZ than with my first trips. the road rules have been standardising with NSW/eastern OZ so there is nothing there to crazy like now like old giving way to your right when you turn left from a main road. you still get the English/euro road signs and they go over board with painting on the road and traffic pacification.

forget about Auckland CBD and area around in a car you could drive in without seeing a car the park in a cross street for a few hours. driving until you get going on the expressway south or over the harour bridge can be a life altering lesson. It a greeny designed car park most of the day. I got caught because I been there a few times with no traffic-and then the rugby must have ended.. I found good cheep value motel in the city center and used the busses.

My first trip in 1996 I used public transport only to travel across the north island using trains [not many now] and rail busses.

I enjoyed the national transport museum and took the tram to the air base museum. its not as good as other collections in the south island. Kiwi collect loads of stuff and put it on display everywhere.

I have driven the east coast a few times not much but slow roads an quiet life. in the wine country and log trucks are good collections to look at, the main run up the center to me is dull because its no different to here with dairy regions like dungog[nsw]

Travel times are slow-but distances are not like OZ. It is possible to get stuck behind very slow traffic for a town to town journey. and the speed limits change more than any reasonable person can plan for. by the time you looked in the shop or took that picture you stuck behind the slow plodder again. the KIWI are running bigger trucks now in the north and its not uncommon to pretend there are 3 lanes.

study some good maps-you often find towns a joined by secondary roads with no signs. It will be different driving a falcon compared to motor home-but fuel is not always easy to get. I ran out at a servo and had look hard to wait till the sporting event ended the roads are so slow in places that the consumption can be high. last sept I did a camper in south island they provided GPS with items like fuel and speed programed in.

With a car club outing points of interest are planned. I liked the CAT machinery collection in rotarua ,maritime centers , wellington CBD[historical], glow worms sheep and some farm stay restaurants.
hastings-east coast.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #28
towtaltowing

Quote:
Most service stations have it, never had a problem finding one
brace your self for the price...

did 2weeks over there bout 3 weeks ago .
and the 100km/h limit over there seems really slow on there roads that are better than most in NSW
towtaltowing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #29
nstg8a

Lol, dunno why these guys are baying fuel can be hard to get, I never had an issue in 20ish years of driving.

And being a south islander born n bred, I can quite happily recommend ditching any north island part of a holiday and just sticking to the South Island.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #30
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Watch out for the sheep :-) Someone had to say it.