Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Inbuilt satnav - what's the go?

Given the growing trend for manufacturers to install satnav as standard (and facing the prospect of our next car having one), I'm keen to educate myself about the implications of factory-fitted satnav. So far I've been using a portable one - TomTom - which has been excellent. I even put it in our luggage and took it to Europe, downloading the local map (about half the price it was in Australia!) and driving with it over there.

With the portable one of course you can take it indoors and hook up to your computer for updates etc. I know various brands are different quality. We bought a Garmin for our son and it's dreadful compared to the TomTom.

So when satnav is factory fitted in a car, how do you know what brand it is and how do you subscribe to updates, download them etc? Or is it another money-making venture by the car manufacturer as only they can do updates etc?

Apologies if questions are naive - I haven't explored this subject at all but it's something that's obviously going to become standard over the next few years.

Heck I only graduated from using maps and street directories a few years ago! But I still carry them in case, remembering how much use the satnav was when I came across a bridge unexpectedly closed for repairs in the wilds of the Czech-Austrian border in the middle of the night in a fog!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Inbuilt satnav - what's the go?

Not too sure how relevant this will be but it might help.

We replaced our Factory Stereo/Nav with an aftermarket one on our CLK240 but I would assume that the updates would be very similar.

Alpine give free updates for 3 years, they can be downloaded online then transfer them to the headunit via the USB input.

I'd say that most manufacturers would have a similar system (our original factory one did)
Old 11-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

you can normally download an update from the manufacturer's web site onto the SD card.

http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/sat-nav-map

looks like you might have to pay though. I know some of the Ranger guys managed to score updates as the factory software was out of date when it arrived.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I'd say they're all putting them in as standard as a lot of people would like integrated sat nav in their car.

I would prefer it to a portable GPS as there is too much stuffing around with them if your car gets parked where thieves can break in.

In terms of brand this is a Ford world wide system. They would have had another company do it but updates will have to go through them. Sync 2 should be a lot easier then previous falcons/terri's.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
you can normally download an update from the manufacturer's web site onto the SD card.

http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/sat-nav-map

looks like you might have to pay though. I know some of the Ranger guys managed to score updates as the factory software was out of date when it arrived.
Thanks. I note a couple are "dealer fit" only, the rest link to Whereis which is I believe a Telstra company. I'm wondering if I've been spoiled by TomTom and software like Whereis isn't going to be as capable?
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The Sat Nav in my new Mitsubishi is a bit of a let down.

* No way to orient the map to show the direction you are driving as forward. (have set it to 'birds eye view').
* No speed camera / speed alerts.
* Can't be used when the car is moving - at least link it to the passenger seat sensor to allow the passenger to use it.
* Map zoom, even at closest setting makes the may way to small. I don't want to see the surrounding 300 metres, just where I am now and where I'm about to go.
* I bet the updates cost a mint as well.
* Green arrow pointing down to where you are on the street, very, very confusing when there is a red arrow that it your position pointing in the opposite direction.
* Poor user interface - still haven't worked it out correctly.

It was part of the car, but I would NEVER option one. $130 for a stick on unit with free lifetime updates will be just fine.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I read that the stick on windscreen Navman or Tom Tom type is illegal, at least in Victoria.

So its not so much a trend its so its legal.

PS I fitted an aftermarket one to My Territory, it has an SD card which holds the maps etc
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I think I read that the stick on windscreen Navman or Tom Tom type is illegal, at least in Victoria.
Would it depend on its position IE if it was positioned in the line of sight? I would be very surprised if the rule was black and white, IE, they are illegal when stuck to the screen, no ifs, no buts.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Would it depend on its position IE if it was positioned in the line of sight? I would be very surprised if the rule was black and white, IE, they are illegal when stuck to the screen, no ifs, no buts.
Pretty sure the rule is the device needs to be mounted. The line of site rule would apply. Your not gonna get done here for having an aftermarket sat nav unit.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
They're ok as long as they're not in your field of view.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been using my galaxy note as a GPS mounted on the dash for a couple of years now........ Never been hasseled about it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #12
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I wanted GPS for my BFGT, but didn't want it mounted on the windscreen with its umbilical cord hanging out and looking messy. I didn't want the factory option either, too expensive and too limited in functionality and updates are a PITA.
So I hardwired in a 5" garmin with lifetime free map updates. Unit clips off if I need to remove it from car and it also turns on and off automatically as it registers the power via ignition.
Fits on the tissue box void like it was meant to be there and works brilliantly.

Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I meant it was directed at the portable ones, stuck on the window with a suction cup.

mine takes over the normal LCD screen with a flick of a switch, has an inlay touch screen $300 self installed
Old 11-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
olfella
Cranky old bastard

There are inbuilt sat nav systems and inbuilt sat navs systems - even Ford has two or three. In my case in my 2013 Falcon the maps have not been updated in that time (I do keep checking). So my feeling is unless the manufacturer keeps supporting their own system they will soon be obsolete. Manufacturers need to get out of that business and leave a way of getting updates from other providers. My iPhone mapping is more useful than the incar. Just as an example, any one who uses the Hume highway know the Holbrook bypass was opened by Gillard.... My maps still show the highway going through town.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Queensland sat nav has to be mounted bottom right corner of dash near A pillar. Or $350 fine !! Mine stays charged for 24hrs only turn on when needed . It's a Tom Tom Worldwide 150, Map updates are $95 a year ,
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
The Sat Nav in my new Mitsubishi is a bit of a let down.
* Can't be used when the car is moving - at least link it to the passenger seat sensor to allow the passenger to use it.
Am I missing something here, how is it meant to direct you on a trip if it cant be used when the car is moving?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #17
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is hard to access and expensive to update. Came with car.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #18
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Queensland sat nav has to be mounted bottom right corner of dash near A pillar. Or $350 fine !! Mine stays charged for 24hrs only turn on when needed . It's a Tom Tom Worldwide 150, Map updates are $95 a year ,
Not correct, refer to the TMR publication

Minor Modifications Vehicle Standards Instruction G19.1
Released March 2014 Updated July 2014
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Am I missing something here, how is it meant to direct you on a trip if it cant be used when the car is moving?
Can't be programmed. If you want to tinker with it the car must be stationary.

Same with the phonebook...

Quite annoying actually.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:

Quite annoying actually.
Probably in the name of safety. Better sticking with the iPhone...
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #21
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Quite annoying actually.

Shhhh...earth the wire at the rear of the unit that says "parking brake"

works for me.

Also the Whereis updates are 300 bucks, have been copying the dual layer dvd on mine for years and cost sharing with a few mates.

cya
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #22
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inbuilt satnav is so yesterday.
They are working on 'follow me ghost car navigation' now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOHnJa9wACI
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 04:14 AM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Not correct, refer to the TMR publication

Minor Modifications Vehicle Standards Instruction G19.1
Released March 2014 Updated July 2014
http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driv.../sat-nav-sense
Old 12-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #24
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Have had no end of GPS units from various players hated them being on the window or having to get them out and power them up etc. Inbuilt FGII system rocks my world, no ugly accessory to plug in and crappy cables, nice big screen, auto subtle speed camera warnings dependent on speed I am doing as I approach, nice subtle fade in and fade out of stereo for instructions, quite a comprehensive index of places etc. when I am down the city and trying to find a shop I can look said company up, see their closest stores and ring one from the unit to check they are open etc. etc. There have been no downsides. Once it got a little erratic so I pulled the fuse for a minute and put it back in, no problems again since. Three years now. Love it.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #25
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The official rules - end of story.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...splayUnits.pdf
Old 12-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
There are inbuilt sat nav systems and inbuilt sat navs systems - even Ford has two or three. In my case in my 2013 Falcon the maps have not been updated in that time (I do keep checking). So my feeling is unless the manufacturer keeps supporting their own system they will soon be obsolete. Manufacturers need to get out of that business and leave a way of getting updates from other providers. My iPhone mapping is more useful than the incar. Just as an example, any one who uses the Hume highway know the Holbrook bypass was opened by Gillard.... My maps still show the highway going through town.
Don't expect anymore updates. The last one that came out (Version 20 IIRC) was the last one.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Shhhh...earth the wire at the rear of the unit that says "parking brake"
That would be the same wire that lets my the passenger watch video's whilst moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Pretty much says the same as what csv8 posted.................

Last edited by GasoLane; 12-02-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: The typo fairy struck again
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #28
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
That would be the same wire that lets my the passenger watch video's whilst moving

Pretty much says the same as what csv8 posted.................
Rewind back to post #15. "Queensland sat nav has to be mounted bottom right corner of dash near A pillar. Or $350 fine" I was pointing out this is not correct.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #29
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quite annoying actually.
Prado one is the same,
Old 12-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Yes the smart phone GPS is not bad, I use either Waze or google maps on my galaxy n4 and its very fluid and fast .
Neither is perfect though, no speed limits, Waze maps are a bit out dated but still use able ...... But both are free.
Mind you a have a tom tom sitting in the console.... I find the smart phone 3 times nicer to use and both show heavy traffic .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post