Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
BLDNUT01

Default Replacing Diff Cover

Hi does anybody know if they are the same across the Au's cos I have to change mine the suspension pin that come out is loose and leaks and make a knocking noise. I have a replacement but looks different where the hand brake cable goes across it. Non IRS too
Old 17-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Spurious

Default Re: Replacing Diff Cover

It's called the Watsons link.
I can only presume they are mostly the same although there may have been some subtle changes across the 3 series.
If the hand brake retainer is in a different spot then the cables would be different lengths.
Choices...
1. modify the retainers location
2. get other diff cover
3. source alternate handbrake cable
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
BLDNUT01

Cheers I prob just modify the retainer for the hand-brake cable just didn,t want to take it off and it be wrong
Old 17-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
BLDNUT01

http://imageshack.com/a/img905/2873/tDXDEH.jpg
Mine is the black 1 as you see there is a difference drain hole on mine is bigger (bottom hole) and the pin sits lower for the suspension
Old 18-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
Spurious

If you have it off the car, just get someone to weld the pin back in yours, if that's an option. I think the cap is alloy & the bolt would be steel yeh?
If the pin surround is steel you should be able to weld the pin in there?

White one is clearly different, I'd be wary of using it & moving suspension components around. My guess is the rods on the watsons link for the white one would be different lengths or the mounts on the body of the car it came off would be different. Plus the white one just looks...eeeww! LOL
Old 18-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Wink Re: Replacing Diff Cover

Really need to find a cover identical to your original as the silver cover has the pin located in a different position. The silver cover is probably off a pre EL as the pin location was changed in the very late EF series, EL and AU to improve the handling. Look for a cover with the identical casting no.
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
BLDNUT01

My pin was bent I did think about some lock-tight but managed to get 1 today for 40 bucks there was no way I was going to use the silver one don't think I would have got the Watson link to line up, plus having to drill the drain hole bigger
Wasn't a bad job to do just diff oil stinks
Old 21-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
Spurious

Good job.

I also stand corrected, it's called the WATTS linkage.