Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Sioso
irregular member

Default RIP - Bill Tuckey

Read many of his articles over the years.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/07/...l-tuckey-dies/

Veteran motoring writer Bill Tuckey dies

Saturday 7th May, 2016

9:36pm

Author: Gordon Lomas ©

Bill Tuckey was regarded as one of Australia’s greatest motoring writers

Pioneering Australian motoring and motorsport journalist Bill Tuckey has died.

Aged 80, Tuckey was a colourful, informed and engaging captain of Australian motoring journalism.

One of the grandfathers of the industry in this country, Tuckey played a major role in planting the seeds for motoring sections in major newspapers.

It has been said over the years that motoring journos in Australia owe Tuckey a great debt of gratitude for the path he forged and fertilised in the media.

As was a prerequisite with his generation, Tuckey would also compete in car races, having several starts in the Bathurst 1000.

Among his many works, Tuckey authored the Chevron publication, Australia’s Greatest Motor Race – The Complete History that would see an annual Bathurst book published.

Tuckey was a former Wheels magazine editor and for many years penned the column of Romsey Quints, his alter ego.

He also served as motoring editor at several newspapers including The Courier-Mail and The Age.

His enormous body of work saw many books which included Australians and their cars: 100 years of motoring, The Great Race volumes, The Rise and Fall of Peter Brock, The Sound and the Fury – 100 years of motorsport in Australia and The Unforgiving Minute – Dick Johnson: the real story of a folk hero.

Former colleague and longtime head of Racing Car News, Max Stahl said Tuckey was an icon of the industry.

“Bill was someone special, an icon in our field of motoring and motor sport journalism, with talents unsurpassed, an inspiration to us all, who wrote to inform and entertain and achieved both in exemplary fashion,” Stahl reflected.

Tuckey’s health took the first of several turns for the worst when he suffered a stroke in Melbourne in 2010.

He was inducted into the V8 Media Association Hall of Fame several years ago and earlier this year he won a Media Services award at the CAMS Night of Champions dinner.

Tuckey is survived by his wife Marcia, son Stuart and daughter Elisabeth.

Speedcafe.com offers its condolences to Tuckey’s family and friends.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: RIP - Bill Tuckey

R.I.P Bill. Have many of his books in my collection, none better then the 'unforgiven minute'.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have one of his best reads, the "Rise and fall of Peter Brock". Very informative.
A long time ago, in car world far away, I used to think that Romsey Quints was a real person.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

A true legend of the Australian media, his books are an enduring legacy that we can all treasure for generations to come. His authoritative (and amusing as his alter ego) observations in Wheels kept us entertained for years and he will be missed.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

RIP Bill, Thanks for taking us on the motoring trip of a lifetime. Seems like you were around for ever from wheels and sports car world magazines back in the days when I was an apprentice and caught a train to work to the times I met you at Bathurst. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Great Bathurst books and a long forgotten series 'Australian Motoring Year'.... a great read.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

A good read always
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
Chris Lewis
Starter Motor

Unhappy Re: RIP - Bill Tuckey

A lot has already been posted about my old mate Bill Tuckey - a veteran writer I had the privilege of working with and for several times in commercial radio and elsewhere. He had a unique style of writing and wording and will always be remembered as a very close friend. On radio, he was at his best I believe given his extensive career in the newspaper and magazine sector. He knew how to cut through the crap and he did it so well on 3DB and 3AW in particular. He belonged on breakfast on 3DB until removed by Moonface, a huge error which led to a front page story as they went head to head on air. But he stood up to Newton and won - then moved to the Drive position (at least we enjoyed our 4 hour luncheons at the Duke of Wellington - just down from the Herald Sun building!) His best interview involved Newton when Tuckey (on breakfast) baited him forcing him (Newton) to ring in while Tuckey was on air, given Bill had been kept in the dark about his future at the station. It was brilliant strategy. Bill you came out on top and always did in my opinion. Condolences to Marcia, Stuart and Elisabeth. Gone but never forgotten mate.
Chris Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A tribute from where he made his greatest contributions.

Quote:
At his peak, Tuckey was the best motoring journalist in the English-speaking world, introduced a degree of professionalism in the industry that carries through to today, and pioneered a style of automotive journalism that had never been seen before.
Bill Tuckey Wheels Magazine tribute
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
The Snout

Like most here I've got several books and annuals. Thanks for the memories Bill, your contributions will always be with us and a unique window into our motoring and racing history.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
R.I.P Bill. Have many of his books in my collection, none better then the 'unforgiven minute'.
Interestingly enough, there were two versions of 'The Unforgiving Minute', the original 1985 one, and an updated version around 1988-1989, which included the peak Sierra success era.

Bill's coverage of Bathurst in the 1980's was exceptional - those annuals had so much detail - both in text and photography, and brilliantly capture was was probably one of, if not the best, era of the race.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NOT a fan of baby-poop yellow 120Y's!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

The influence of Bill Tuckey on so many is immeasurable, if you're a car guy, he was in your ear, in your head, and drew you in back in the days when you could NEVER wait to grab the next edition off the shelf. And he was equally responsible for the life of financial hardship so many lead chasing their personal automotive dream.

Farewell Mr Tuckey....RIP

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another great gone.
He always threatened to write "the book" exposing all the shady stuff and backroom deals he knew about over the decades in the motoring industry and government...shame he never got around to doing it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
Fred Mark One
Starter Motor

I would like to that you all for your heartfelt comments about my dad. He went peacefully at 3.30 pm on Saturday afternoon after a long fight against pneumonia. He is now at peace without pain.

Your comments make it somewhat easier to deal with the grief of losing Bill as it makes the family realise even more than we did that his writings were appreciated by such a wide and diverse audience. For that, I thank you all on behalf of our family.

The ceremony for Bill (and Romsey Quints) will be at 2.00pm on Saturday 14 May at Saint Gregory the Great church located as 71 Williamsons Road Doncaster, Melbourne. All are welcome if you want to pass on your respects.

Once again, thank you all. Special mention to you Chris Lewis for your comments. You and dad had a very special friendship over the years. I still remember Bill's 50th birthday celebrations.

Kind regards

Stuart Tuckey (aka Fred MarkOne)
Fred Mark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #16
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP Romsey, and yes ... the Triffids are still out there unfortunately.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't believe I forgot about Romsey Quints!!
I used to always turn to that page first in Wheels...still got a cupboard with a couple of shelves full of old Wheels magazines down in the shed and every now and then like to re-read them and Quints still gives a good laugh.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #18
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels have been posting some old long-form Bill Tuckey articles that were published in the magazine back in the day. Absolutely fantastic reading, and a stark reminder of how far the standard of motoring journalism has dropped over the years.

These two stories are well worth the read, still entertaining after all these years and offer an interesting insight to driving in Australia back in the 70's.

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features...und-australia/

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features...-a-v12-jaguar/

RIP Bill Tuckey
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: