Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
900dukess

Default Ford Sales - new car after sales survey

Hi all,
I was lucky today picking up my brand new Ford Falcon FGX ute today.

I was a little taken back by the amount of pressure the sales person put on me regarding my response I will give for the survey I will be sent to complete.

It was almost like he was trying to guilt trip me in giving favourable responses for my sales experience by saying he won't receive his sales commission unless he gets 100% positive feedback.

I am not sure if the survey is a Ford Australia thing or just my dealer.

What is everybody thoughts as there was a couple of things during my sales experience that was annoying but wasn't the sales guys fault only the dealerships general manager fault.

Has anybody else experienced this pressure to give positive feedback on their new car purchase?
900dukess is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Ford Sales - new car after sales survey

We picked up my wife's new Kuga today. The sales guy did mention the survey and "jokingly" suggested that high marks would be appreciated.

I had a similar call from the Holden guy when I bought my Calais a few weeks ago. He did specify that the question that related to him was, err... whatever it was (can't rem exactly). He said that if we were happy with him (we were) he'd appreciate a ranking that reflected that fact.

Neither was "pressure" as such. Moreso, a heads up.

The Holden survey was from GMH not the dealership. Presumably the Ford one will be likewise.

With regards to what you weren't happy about, mark it accordingly. There will most likely be a "comments" section as well (there was on the GMH one).

Oh, while I think of it, there was a check box that you could tick if you were happy for the dealer to receive the results your survey. I don't know if the Ford one will be the same.

Last edited by ronwest; 29-06-2016 at 07:17 PM. Reason: More info
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900dukess View Post
Has anybody else experienced this pressure to give positive feedback on their new car purchase?
Nope.

Pressure to give positive feedback is a bit like compulsory tipping in American restaurants. Those who have to pressure you to give positive feedback probably don't deserve it in the first place.

The salesman didn't have to pressure me to give positive feedback. I wouldn't have given any less than 10/10 in any event. All he had to do was to give some good old fashioned customer service by going above and beyond to make sure I was completely happy, and be a genuine, down-to-earth person with a demonstrable enthusiasm for what he's selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
The Holden survey was from GMH not the dealership. Presumably the Ford one will be likewise.
The one I did was from a sub-contractor doing the survey on behalf of Ford, and there was also a check box which asks if you're happy for Ford to receive the results of the survey (presumably the full answers rather than just the statistics that they would've otherwise received).
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 29-06-2016 at 07:44 PM.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900dukess View Post
Hi all,
I was lucky today picking up my brand new Ford Falcon FGX ute today.

I was a little taken back by the amount of pressure the sales person put on me regarding my response I will give for the survey I will be sent to complete.

It was almost like he was trying to guilt trip me in giving favourable responses for my sales experience by saying he won't receive his sales commission unless he gets 100% positive feedback.

When I worked for Ford part of my sales commission was dependant on the customer survey.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please, please be aware, that from the employees' pov, some of these surveys are just murderous.
My Missus used to work for Westpac, and customers would get hit up to answer surveys (not sure if it was email, or what.)
The usual thing, rate various aspects of the experience on a scale of one to 10.
And the "scaling" was "standard." 1 = "Extremely Dissatisfied," 10 = "Extremely Satisfied," 5 = "Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied." Sounds simple right?
Except that according to Westpac Management 8 out of 10 is the pass mark. (At which they get NOTHING) Staff needed to score 9 or 10's to qualify for their bonuses.

Then consider, that MOST of the things that **** customers off (Having to wait too long, being given the 3rd degree if you want to withdraw too much money in cash, being charged $20 for a bank cheque, being told your tax refund cheque will take 10 days to clear, etc, etc) are all down to Management. Yet the Staff are blamed for every low score.

And here's the thing, if you didn't like the salesman, why did you buy the car off him?
Trying to sink the boot in afterwards just makes YOU the a___hole.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
axe

I didn't realise this before I filled in my one recently and then got a call from the guy I bought the car off. Apparently he got reamed for the responses I gave even though my issues were all with the dealership itself or with Ford corporate and their poor communication with the dealer. If i'd known I would have marked the ratings a lot higher and added a bunch of comments about how bad Ford is at its higher levels.

Got sent a second survey which I just ticked the top marks boxes on because I don't want the sales guy copping it over bad management practices.

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At my work there's a survey sent out after visits. Quite often a low score can be explained, but it's a bit frustrating too. People will rate something low when it's not something they participated in (okay, the survey system should be a little smarter and only send questions based on what they actually booked for), and in general just put things in the wrong spot. While surveys can give an overall guide, if you took just the numbers it doesn't tell the complete story.

Not to mention how subjective it is. A rating of 10/10? Things would have to be phenomenal. And there are definitely people out there who never give full marks for things, they have a fundamental belief that nothing can be 100%.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Please, please be aware, that from the employees' pov, some of these surveys are just murderous.
My Missus used to work for Westpac, and customers would get hit up to answer surveys (not sure if it was email, or what.)
The usual thing, rate various aspects of the experience on a scale of one to 10.
And the "scaling" was "standard." 1 = "Extremely Dissatisfied," 10 = "Extremely Satisfied," 5 = "Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied." Sounds simple right?
Except that according to Westpac Management 8 out of 10 is the pass mark. (At which they get NOTHING) Staff needed to score 9 or 10's to qualify for their bonuses.

Then consider, that MOST of the things that **** customers off (Having to wait too long, being given the 3rd degree if you want to withdraw too much money in cash, being charged $20 for a bank cheque, being told your tax refund cheque will take 10 days to clear, etc, etc) are all down to Management. Yet the Staff are blamed for every low score.

And here's the thing, if you didn't like the salesman, why did you buy the car off him?
Trying to sink the boot in afterwards just makes YOU the a___hole.

wow, I wish I had of known that.

I didn't give a 10 for anything, nobody is perfect.
I rated it as what I thought was fair and yet the salesman was great, he even went out of his way to get rid of the ming-mole.

He still talks to me though, hopefully he didn't get a reaming, I will have to ask next time I see him.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard nothing from my dealer - they got their money i got the car. No follow up to see if all ok or anything. That was second car i bought from them.

Service dealer i took car to was better, they rang couple of times after 15k service to see all ok.
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

The guy that sold me my Fiesta ST (picked up on Tuesday) was a newbie. Nice guy, couldn't do enough for me. His knowledge of exactly what is/isn't in the ST was a bit lacking but then he has a whole fleet of cars to sell in various spec-levels whereas I was only focusing (fiestaing?) on one

I went into the dealer to test-drive their in-stock ST and three days later (including the weekend) it was in my garage. Rang yesterday and asked how it was going (great!).

One of the other sales guys stuck his head in the passenger's side door as I was about to drive the car out and said their commission depends on the buyer survey but I had no issue with him anyway so I won't mark him down (my EOY bonus depends on how well the bank I work for goes globally, so I know what it's like to be reamed when you've had a good year).
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since buying my Captiva, salesman has rung me twice, Holden emailed me twice...in 6 weeks clocked up 3,100kms..No problems..getting 9.1l/km for the 2.2 diesel. The heated drivers seat is great this cold mornings!! The Hyundai Accent has had its sound system replaced and when it had its 1500kms check, the service manager said "the wheel alignment was out from the factory" my daughter complained of it pulling to the left. All happy with the cars.. Isnt commission based on sales ? not your opinion of salesman tactics ?????