Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Default Love Drinking?

http://www.reboundhangover.com/horrors.htm

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/bigalcohol.htm - probably wont apply to most people but still an interesting read.

Makes you think twice. Anyone have any other good links?

I don't think ill be drinking anymore after seeing that!

Iv been drinking around 2yrs max.. oh well all good things have to come to an end :(

Remember cirrhosis can be reversed if done early so not all is lost. Hopefully this will change some peoples minds.

This is an anti-drinking thread not a pro-drinking thread. Just hope some people will reconsider.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol im smahe ds right now hahaa. Seriouslytr though no matter how ma any facts or pcitures anyones got if yoiur want to smoke or drink your goin to anyways.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
lol im smahe ds right now hahaa. Seriouslytr though no matter how ma any facts or pcitures anyones got if yoiur want to smoke or drink your goin to anyways.
being ****ed in front of a computer at 9.20 is cool! :
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I think it changes the minds for those who don't relise what it will do later in life or who are concerned about their health. If you don't care about your health at all then of course you will drink and smoke all you want.

We have all heard of these diseases and problems associated with alcohol but most people dont take the time to actually find out what the side affects are and how quickly it can happen.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef_classic
being ****ed in front of a computer at 9.20 is cool! :
**** did i say i t was cool. No i didnt
Old 07-06-2005, 10:44 PM   #6
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

Quote:
ROFL reminds me of some classic drunken posts on the other forum... cant remember exactly but iirc one was cobra..... ROFLMAO
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tHE point is i never said it was cool. Think about it though you could drink your whole lifr and some dude whos done nuthn to therir body gets ****ed over and you live. If you dont make a habit of it then you have nothing to worry about it. Tongiht is the first time ive drank in 6 weeks. I barely ever drink otherwise. Next thing you know you get by a car and have cancer ffs. I just live and hope nothing bad happens to me. Im damn healthy in fact. Seriously for one person a drinking session wil kill them but for another its just normal. As for life goes im damn smart (school wise) and i get smashed with my mates and still can get high grades. Ive got a test tommorrow and ill bet ill pass.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Ive got a test tommorrow and ill bet ill pass.
Sounds good to me. :
Old 07-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Jaeger
Getting There

You don't live forever anyway. Might as well enjoy yourselves.

Those sites are fear-mongering crap, IMHO. And should be taken with an entire shaker of salt.

Bring on the Beer!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Most people claim that they are healthy their body is made for it then they find out they have a problem. In your case Mitchay your not drinking enough so that is obviously why your not having any problems deh! Drinking harms everyone in different ways of course but it still harms you. Sure you will pass a test, you probably would of gotten better grades tommorow if you didnt drink tonight and rob you body of the energy needed to repair itself.

The most common I hear is 'i dont want to live forever' but do people relize they still have to live out a certain portion of their life dealing with the side effects. If two people were to live to 80 I would chose to be healthy rather then live to 50 then spendy the next 30 years on medication and lookin like a bag o crap on a life machine.

You still have to have fun just be aware of how much fun you are having and down what path it is taking you. There is plenty of fun to be had without alcohol and booze, just thinking of the money now that I could of spent on mods is scaring me and they would of been way more fun.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah point taken. I know my limits and by all means dont go over it. You cant worry about this sort of stuff though because someone who had lived their life kind of as safe as you can and still could get some major probs. Like i said i make no habit of it. People that do it habitually will in most likeliness have problems.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #12
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I know what you mean but unfortunately thats the way life is.

You spend all your life avoiding drinking only to have someone else drunk cause this;
http://www.burnsupport.org.nz/pages/stories/jaqsab.htm

Its fairly graphic.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah pretty graphic. I would never drink and drive btw. Sure you want to risk your own life but **** riskin anyone elses.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #14
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Seriously guys i must be so immune to all this after what i have had to work with. When working inpathology and other labs one in particular comes to mind is the display cabinets literally displaying the real thing. But lets take into account that the vast majority of alcoholics started out as social drinkers and nowing their limits. Yes sometimes its only the minority but in the end it effects everybody. Yes its ok to have the occasional drink but wiping yourselves out continuely will have an effect on not just your body but all those close to you. (excuse spelling errors as its late and i am to tired to think about proper english). Take it easy when drinking.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 03:22 AM   #15
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

I think a trip to the anatomy and pathology musem is needed, it will put most people off drinking and smoking for life.

Oh and the morgue is right next door so we can go and have a look at the cadavers of people that donated their bodies to science, ones that have been killed by drink drivers, died from lung cancer, cirrohsis of the liver and all sorts of other diseases.

It's quite an eye opener for those who can stomach it and there aren't many that can.

I'll just crawl back into my corner because anytime you try and give some people advice it just falls on deaf ears. Maybe some of the younger members should start heeding the advice of the (only slightly) older and wiser members of the forum.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:28 AM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh im here for a good time not a long time. Yep despite all the facts and figues people will still do it. Ive just had a big night out trippn balls and just comming round now. Like i said i dont do it habitually but i probably did drink way too much tonight(first time in 6 weeks tonight) and a certain bitch on top of all things. It varies from person to person. One drinkn session might **** up one person while another will be fine.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:43 AM   #17
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger
You don't live forever anyway. Might as well enjoy yourselves.
Those sites are fear-mongering crap, IMHO. And should be taken with an entire shaker of salt.
Bring on the Beer!
When i was just a few years old My father was probably just like evryone else " a few wont hurt ", any along with a few stressful things that came olang he just kept drinking and probably found he could just not stop, it must have helped him through the day i suppose, and i remember when around 11 we had to go and live with the grans as the parents had seperated, my father was an alcholic, he would get up go to the shed crack 3 or 4 echo's for breakfast, then start on morning tea, i think you all know the story. My father was far from stupid he played the sax very well, had his pilots licence, and completed the top level and was an a grade chef along with running the family business, but for some reason he just kept drinking.

It was really sad seeing him drunk all the time and to watch his life disapearing before my eyes, he fell ill several times near the end where he almost lost his life and was told not to drink any more, he didnt listen the drink had him. The last time he fell ill the ultimatum was stop or die simple, well my dad did stop drinking and guess what i got to know him as he was a differant person and i learnt just how much he had done, how very clever he was ( could fix just about anything he had a 5 car garage full of every type of tool you could ever imagine ), it was great to get to see a side of him i never knew for the few months i could, then one day i walked into the hospital room and saw him passed away, he was only young.

Not telling anyone to stop drinking, shit i enjoy a nice drink but in moderation and if people are drinking more then i hope you stay around a bit longer for your kids than my dad did.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #18
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

luvin myeb pick me pick me... ilove those places.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #19
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Well my wife has me on about 6 beers a weekend, and light at that, used to drink a case or 2 of tooheys dry a week, I was no where near being an alcholic in my opinion, drinking at work or before work is just plain wrong.

I prefer the taste of beer vs coke or water etc, during the week I drink coke, maybe I should switch to water

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #20
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs casper
luvin myeb pick me pick me... ilove those places.
No problem mrs c, Melbourne Uni has a great A&P museum both normal and abnormal. Apparently Monash is even better I haven't had a chance to get into that one yet, I should look for my old nurses I.D. :newangel:
Old 08-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #21
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Ok, i dont mean to sound like Mr Nasty pasty...

But a couple of cartoon drawings and pictures of cancer-ridden organs (which affect the perfectly healthy as well.... drinkers/smokers are AT GREATER RISK) not really enough to make me reconsider sitting down with a few beers, few mates and watching motorsport...

LuvvinmyEB - your comments are appreciated, but please dont assume they fall on deaf ears. I am aware of the dangers of smoking - but i still do it. I've seen cancerous lungs (in the flesh... ugghhh), seen family members pass away because of it, seen the pics, the clogged arteries on TV etc. etc. Dont assume we are not making informed decisions... maybe some of the older members should realise we are capable of thinking for ourselves?

Stupid decisions? Hell yes. Uninformed decisions? Not at all.

Dont get me wrong - i echo the sentiments of taking caution with alcohol (any drug for that matter). But in my opinon EVERYONE in this country is armed with sufficient information to make these decisions on their own. We make our beds and we sleep in them...
Old 08-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Stupid decisions? Hell yes. Uninformed decisions? Not at all.
Agreed. People know that speeding kills but they still do it. I still smoke even though i know i COULD get cancer, i still drink even though i know it could also kill me. Yes its stupid but i dont like to live thinking about that sort of stuff. Sure i might/will regret it later on but thats later on. For we know some psycho could shoot us up or we could get hit by a car being a non-smoker or drinker all our lives. Its decision someone makes on their own and no matter what somebody says it wont change it. Im in my teens and have already started to slow down on the partying as i get more responsibilites in life (unlike my mates). You have to experience things more often than not to make a decision about it.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:57 PM   #23
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the last two posts. I'm 20 years old, and I drink pretty much every weekend with my mates. Yeah, I drink excessively, usually a dozen beers a night, and I enjoy it thoroughly. Alot of the older members just assume that we're idiots who haven't thought things through. I know the risks I'm taking and I'm comfortable with it. I enjoy myself without hurting anyone else, and that's the way I like it.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #24
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

The only thing im concerned about is you don't want to let time pass you by. You think your young you have few commitments and you go out with friends and enjoy having some drinks. Then there is always the risk you could become an alcoholic or do irreversiable damage.

I also go to the gym and want to take it seriously now and I feel that alcohol will only downgrade performance, which I know it will. http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/bigalcohol.htm

Of course if you don't go to the gym none of these things are a concern.

Hmmm lifes challenges drink/not drink.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #25
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Soft.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #26
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

A good old how stuff works to clear it all up;

http://health.howstuffworks.com/alcoholism.htm
Old 08-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #27
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think im done in terms of hard drinkn. I simply cant handle it anymore. Last night was the decision for me. Ill stick to my beers now. Spirits are off limits.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #28
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats some good material blinkau. Yeah id say id have to characterise myself as an alcohol abuser not an alcoholic. I can go without it as i have no physical dependance on it. I dont drink often now but when i do i get smashed. Im gonna save a shit load of money now and next thing to go will be ciggies.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #29
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Yeah I found I was drinking with friends and getting drunk but not much beyond that.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/alcohol.htm - Surprising how much the average american drinks a week + they say its higher as 35% of the population don't drink.

Even though it effects your health I think the most pain comes from your wallet. A bottle of spirit costs around $30.. not a cheap price.

Its funny I just had an interview for coles-myer and my preference I put liquor land. I got through and if they find an opening ill end up there or a supermarket but hoping for liquor land. I think ill have to keep away from the products though haha.

The good thing about drinking is if you stop early all damage is reversed completely for the unlucky that reach cirrhosis there is no turning back. My uncle has it he is less then 50 years old and trust me that pic (24-54) couldnt be closer to the truth. He is just under 50 and looks terrible and is feeling it to.

Reading about alcohol is interesting though, so far only come across a few positives and they aint nothing even worth mentioning.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:44 AM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good information. I reckon im just gonna take it easy now cause like i said i simply cant handle it. To me $30 aint that expensive but it ads up like when my mum went away i had a party every night she was gone $30x7=$210 bucks. So when you do it often it hurts the money. Ive rarely just had a couple except for maybe after work have a coldie and watch the footy. Ah man i woke up good this morning but now i feel like shit. Lucky that test was **** easy. Im suprised though because now matter how drunk i get im still smart academically anyways. Am i a freak or something?