Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Video card suggestions??

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on a new video card for my computer. There was another similar thread a few months back, but that was for cards around $150 - I'd be happy (sort of!) to pay up to $300 or so for a card.
I currently have a 64mb GeForce 4 MX440DD card installed on a 2.4ghz P4 with 1gb RAM. The motherboard is an Abit IS7-E2 which supports AGP 8X.

The main reason I want to upgrade is for gaming - in particular first person shooters. My current setup is pretty good with stuff like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty, but is struggling with Half Life 2 and won't even look at Doom 3.

I'd be interested to hear different opinions/suggestions.

Cheers
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Nvidia 6600GT is one of the best bang for your buck cards going around at the moment, but it is around the $250-$350 mark. The 6600 model is abit slower, as the 6600GT has a 500MHz clock speed on the graphics processor, and a 1000MHz clock speed on the memory. Whereas the 6600, with the same chip, has a 300MHz clock on the GPU and 550MHz on the memory.

Otherwise the ATi 9600XT would probably better suit your budget at $200 or less. The 9600PRO has a similar graphics chip in it, but it is slower - the GPU is also clocked 20% slower than the 9600XT.

If you're not willing to spend up to $300, the 9600XT would be your best bet.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.

Last edited by pauljh74; 08-06-2005 at 09:35 PM.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I'm also in the process of looking for a new 3d card and was also recommended the 6600 GT. http://www.custo.com.au/products_det...ode=PD00002425

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

lol this is going to be like the Pc monitor thread I bet. But for some input I got a GeXcube 9600XT Radeon and it runs mint, you can probably get much better now for your budget but hey...
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
MAD
Petro-sexual

You should be able to get a 9800pro with that budget.
I managed to snag one for $250 a little while back with a HDTV adaptor too.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:02 AM   #6
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im getting a 9600pro off a mate for $80 coz hes upgrading to a 6600gt, lucky bugger
Old 09-06-2005, 03:11 AM   #7
Steffo
LPG > You

GeForce FX5900XT is a very good budget choice. It was yesterday's top end card (it beat the 9800XT in tests several times in-fact). Should be able to net one for cheap money.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Chalk up another vote for the Nvidia 6600GT, $273 for a 128Mb Leadtek 6600GT (It's what I'd be getting if I was upgrading) from MSY: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
http://www.msy.com.au/ for locations of their stores.

P.S. I do not work for them nor have any gain (financial or otherwise) from recommending them.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a FX5200 in mine and need to uprade also as ive pumped the graphics in V8 Supercars 2 and looks kickass so i know its capable of it, but it just cant handle it. My mate has some Radeon 9600 i think and it does Half Life and CS pretty good.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #10
The MaDDeSTMaN

Unless I'm very much mistaken, a 6600GT should easily whip a FX5200, any Radeon 9600 or 9800, or the FX5900XT. Bang for buck, the 6600GT is easily the best choice on the market today.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer i know mines shit thats why i want an upgrade.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yer i know mines shit thats why i want an upgrade.
Oops, I should read more carefully, sorry. But yeah, almost anything new would be an upgrade over a FX5200 - even a Radeon 9550. But if you can afford it, a 6600GT should last until it's time to upgrade both your video card and mobo/cpu.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Unless I'm very much mistaken, a 6600GT should easily whip a FX5200, any Radeon 9600 or 9800, or the FX5900XT. Bang for buck, the 6600GT is easily the best choice on the market today.
Very much so, MSY have some very good pricing too, just need someone with english as their first language to rewrite the site :P
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just me all does it seem that a lot of new games a sort of developed on Nvidia cards therefore would they have an advantage on other cards?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Chalk up another vote for the Nvidia 6600GT, $273 for a 128Mb Leadtek 6600GT (It's what I'd be getting if I was upgrading) from MSY: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
http://www.msy.com.au/ for locations of their stores.
Whats the diff on the site with the 6600GT DVI or VIVO ?

MSY is about 5mins drive from me so they're too easy to get to.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #16
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Very much so, MSY have some very good pricing too, just need someone with english as their first language to rewrite the site :P
Indeed they do, on both counts. However, I think none of their staff have time to rewrite the site, considering how busy they always are, and also considering they must be running on absolutely minimum profits, I doubt they could really afford to pay anyone any decent amount to rewrite it for them.

Still, that link I posted above: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf is all you need once you know where they are located.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #17
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VIVO - Video In Video Out
DVI - Digital Visual Interface
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #18
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Whats the diff on the site with the 6600GT DVI or VIVO ?

MSY is about 5mins drive from me so they're too easy to get to.
Difference being that VIVO stands for Video In Video Out - in other words, not only can it output video to your TV or other analog devices (VCR, etc), but it can also accept input from those devices too, so for example you could hook up your PS2 to the video input and play GT4 in a window (or fullscreen) on your computer, also it enables you to record that input to a digital format if you wish.

DVI (Digital Video Interface, or Digital Visual Interface, depending on who you ask) means it's got the correct connector to connect a digital screen (LCD) if it also has a DVI connector, that way you avoid Digital signals being converted to Analog and then back to digital, resulting in better picture quality.

Personally I'd get the 6600GT DVI version, and if you really want the VIVO features, purchase a TV card - VIVO isn't known to be exactly flawless on any video cards, usually due to the software AFAIK.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #19
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A number of cards have both. DVI usually acts as a secondondary connection as well to plug in two screens with an adapter
Old 09-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #20
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Difference being that VIVO stands for Video In Video Out - in other words, not only can it output video to your TV or other analog devices (VCR, etc), but it can also accept input from those devices too, so for example you could hook up your PS2 to the video input and play GT4 in a window (or fullscreen) on your computer, also it enables you to record that input to a digital format if you wish.

DVI (Digital Video Interface, or Digital Visual Interface, depending on who you ask) means it's got the correct connector to connect a digital screen (LCD) if it also has a DVI connector, that way you avoid Digital signals being converted to Analog and then back to digital, resulting in better picture quality.

Personally I'd get the 6600GT DVI version, and if you really want the VIVO features, purchase a TV card - VIVO isn't known to be exactly flawless on any video cards, usually due to the software AFAIK.
Cool, thanks for that.

Considering an LCD screen purchase is imminent, the DVI looks to be the way to go.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:04 PM   #21
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Cool, thanks for that.

Considering an LCD screen purchase is imminent, the DVI looks to be the way to go.
No problem. If you do get the 6600GT, tell us which one you get and if you're happy with it compared to what you've got now...
Old 09-06-2005, 04:23 PM   #22
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
GeForce FX5900XT is a very good budget choice. It was yesterday's top end card (it beat the 9800XT in tests several times in-fact). Should be able to net one for cheap money.
yea right, nothing beat the 9800xt back in its day, the GeForce FX series are a piece of crap.

i would get aither a geforce 6600gt or a 9800pro, there pretty simular in performance, some games the geforce is quicker, others the radeaon is quicker
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post