Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
aimzes
...fairly odd

Default Holden free fuel.

just saw an ad for holden saying that if you buy a V6 commodore theyll give you $2000 worth of free fuel. if you buy a V8 theyll give you $4000.

thats not bad. obviously theres terms/conditions which i dont know.

$4000 will get you a fair distance if you pussyfoot a V8.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
-jjM-
Banned

they put that on cause no ones stupit enought to buy it, but then when closer look "HAY FREE FUEL" lol
Old 12-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its the only way they can get the suckers in and keep sales up oh and don't forget the free rego

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 12-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
Kryton

laugh all you want.
with what petrol cost these days, people that arent brand particular will jump at the offer.
keep an eye on the monthly sale figures and see whos laughing at the end.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a dumb offer .. but don't laugh about Holden trying to sell V8s. Most people with half a clue about local V8s at least *THINK* that the Ford V8 is thirster than the Holden .. this will work in their favour in this environment.

Also .. remember Holden just impor these engines. They don't build them, so if demand drys up, they just stop ordering them. If Fords V8 demand drys up that might mean Aussie jobs?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
laugh all you want.
with what petrol cost these days, people that arent brand particular will jump at the offer.
meh i stand by what i say, just shows what holden needs to give to sell there crap :P
Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jjM-
meh i stand by what i say, just shows what holden needs to give to sell there crap :P
Even before this they were still outselling ford. Maybe they just want to offer a bit more to keep them popular.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #8
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Even before this they were still outselling ford. Maybe they just want to offer a bit more to keep them popular.
my mum bought her lancer GLi with $1000 free fuel, when she was gonna buy something else, shows that it works
Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
laugh all you want.
Exactly. Money talks!
Old 13-08-2005, 03:20 AM   #10
rick69
Banned

Quote:
: They NEED to give away fuel to sell their cars???
Take a look at the sales figures for the last 8 years then honestly say that again.
Oh and I forgot....Ford in it's entire history has never made any special offers to shift some extra stock???
Old 13-08-2005, 08:06 AM   #11
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
they put that on cause no ones stupit enought to buy it, but then when closer look "HAY FREE FUEL" lol
Nothing is worse than one eyed Ford fans. People have opinions. They aren't "stupit"(sic) if they prefer a different car to you.
Old 13-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #12
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Nothing is worse than one eyed Ford fans.
gets a ride in a viper, hates murphy... and thinks like this, this fella keeps on getting better... haha

also i cant believe this turned into a holden bagging thread. i was hoping people would start saying "well come on ford, wtf?"

if ford wants to even look like they are competing then they have to do this.
Old 13-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
Take a look at the sales figures for the last 8 years then honestly say that again.
Oh and I forgot....Ford in it's entire history has never made any special offers to shift some extra stock???
Lol thats what Ive been trying to say. I know they are selling SR falcons with a s**t load of extras for cheap. The SR falcon is goin for $35k and thats a MkII 2005 model. $6k extra features.

Now if that aint a special offer then i dont what is. Im think ive seen them advertised for about 30k in Canberra but not sure it might of been some other model.

http://www.ford.com.au/range/falcon/...g/falconSR.asp

Holden has been moving their "s**t" for years even without this. It would just make them more popular in the end. You can get Commodores with extras already and then add free fuel on top of it. Pretty good deal.
Old 13-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
gets a ride in a viper, hates murphy... and thinks like this, this fella keeps on getting better... haha

also i cant believe this turned into a holden bagging thread. i was hoping people would start saying "well come on ford, wtf?"

if ford wants to even look like they are competing then they have to do this.
Take it easy - everyone's entitled to their opinion.

And I agree with you, lets not turn this into a bagging thread or you know where it will end up.
Old 13-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well Im of the opinion it is a good tactic by Holden - without delving into the dark depths of Holden Vs Ford.

Certainly this will attract the non brand-loyal car buyer who is getting some more bang for their buck spent.

And yes. I think Ford should match it. Its a very competitive environment.
Old 13-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #16
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think it's a great deal and could certainly see how it could sway people who aren't so brand loyal. Extremely well timed with the price of fuel at the moment, don't know about you guys but regular is $1.44 and premium is $1.49 over here.
Old 13-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Personally I think it's a great deal and could certainly see how it could sway people who aren't so brand loyal. Extremely well timed with the price of fuel at the moment, don't know about you guys but regular is $1.44 and premium is $1.49 over here.
Yikes, we're not that bad yet but I dare say it wont be long. $1.24 for premium for me atm.
Old 13-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #18
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Take it easy - everyone's entitled to their opinion.

And I agree with you, lets not turn this into a bagging thread or you know where it will end up.
woah hang on... who was i bagging? i wasnt being sarcastic towards mike gayner. sorry if it sounded that way.
Old 13-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #19
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

129.99 for optimax here :( not even 20L for $25 any more!
Old 13-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
woah hang on... who was i bagging? i wasnt being sarcastic towards mike gayner. sorry if it sounded that way.
Fair enough mate, just dont want to see this thread go down the gurgler because 2 brands are involved is all. It's all good .
Old 13-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #21
aimzes
...fairly odd

im gonna consider chucking the next car on gas. its only gonna get worse.

that or move to the states.
Old 13-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #22
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Fair enough mate, just dont want to see this thread go down the gurgler because 2 brands are involved is all. It's all good
yeah thats sweet. no worries.
Old 13-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #23
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Smart move on Holdens behalf. But it's only a temporary fix to the fuel problem.

Large car sales are dropping & small to medium fuel efficient vehicle sales are increasing.

Not many families enjoy filling up at $80 - $100 every week or two, and there are rumours of petrol prices touching $2.00/L in the new year.
Old 13-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #24
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I have been thinking about buying a new Ford, not sure yet though. However, if Ford said "Hey, here is $4,000 in free fuel", somehow I think I would be buying. So obviously to me, it is to sway people thinking about buying a new dunny door as well as non-brand specific buyers. And as they say, at the end of the day, it is the return of dividends to the share holders that keeps the company going.

Paul
Old 14-08-2005, 12:15 AM   #25
Franky
Bring back the Phase

This is yet again another great idea to lure potential buyers, perfect timing too.
Old 14-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #26
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

Quote:
just saw an ad for holden saying that if you buy a V6 commodore theyll give you $2000 worth of free fuel. if you buy a V8 theyll give you $4000.

thats not bad. obviously theres terms/conditions which i dont know.

$4000 will get you a fair distance if you pussyfoot a V8.
i wonder if you can get a gas conversion and 2000 worth of gas if you buy a v8, now that sounds better, they pay for the conversion and in the long term its still cheaper. thats wot ford should do, screw petrol win customer with more enviromentaly friendly and cheaper fuel.......GAS

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
Old 14-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #27
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

Quote:
im gonna consider chucking the next car on gas. its only gonna get worse.

that or move to the states.
depending on how much you drive you can pay for the conversion in 1 yr in the amount of money you save, for most ppl it will take about 2 yrs. think about it if you plan to have a car for 3 yrs you save 1 grand for every yr you have it after 2 yrs, plus less cash is needed every time you go to the pump.

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
Old 14-08-2005, 06:22 AM   #28
DA68ZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
Well personelly they could be giving 10,000 bucks of free petrol with every sale and they wont see me buying another crapperdoor again .
And yes i did make the mistake of buying not one but two of them , but never again . :the_finge

I have seen the light and returned from the dark side.
Old 14-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys get a bit of reality into this.

The average care does 20,000 km per year.
An approximate fuel usage for a "semi rev head" might be about 15l/100 km

So every year 3000l of fuel is used.

At about $1.33 per litre this equals about $4000.

Now lets see...

New VZ SS with a few goodies, $ 50,000 (actual cost inc rego ins etc)
Value of 2004 VY SS (1 year old) $ 32,000 = $18k gone
rego for next year $1000
Insurance $1-3000 (depending on who you are and where you live)
Tyres $1500

Petrol is not a huge cost in the big picture.
Old 14-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #30
parawolf
beep beep

Have we seen the bundles that Toyota are throwing into their cars just to contrast against Holden?

3 years free roadside
4 years free servicing
5 years warranty
!!!!!