Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Default Any one bought a Brand new car lately?

Hi,

Looking at getting a new car(not saying what it is because its not a ford or holden :P )

Now I know what I want, And what colour and options etc.

My question is how should I haggle etc.? As ive never bought a car let alone a new one (dad always finds cars for me and I just say "where do I sign? lol)

And also, with finance, buying Brand New I was told that usually you get a cheaper rate? Is that true?

Nolw its not a expensive car (sub 20k) if that makes a difference..

Thanks in advance

Toby

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sub 20K. New? Not a Ford?. Hyundais are not oo bad I suppose. Haggle as much as you can - use the competitors product to get the best deal you can, and walk away if you don't like the deal.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #3
will_
Falcon Ute: UNBELIEVEABLE

i had the guy chasing me into the carpark. cause i didnt like what he wrote on a piece of paper. get a price off discountnewcars.com.au and take it with you.
will_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

I bought a Mazda 6 not so long ago. The first thing you need to do is flatter the salesperson. Tell them that you know how well the car is selling, and that, because there are so many of them on the road, the resale is going to be really low, and therefore you need to have a lower price on the car, if not for now, but so that when you sell the car, the resale doesn't hurt you. Also, when push comes to shove, think about the car, make the dealer go away whilst you think, and try and get as much free crap in the car that you can possibly get. Try for tints and carpet mats. They are the most obvious options. If you get them, then try for other options, but go for a discount. Because of the price of the car you want, go for a few thousand less than quoted, and work upwards, towards a limit, set by yourself. Say, for a $20,000 car, put your first offer at $18,500, and go from there. I got my Territory for less because of that.

Will_, I see you are in Dolans Bay. I am in Caringbah (off Willarong Rd.), so I will have to keep an eye out for you. Look out for somebody in a Black Territory with AP Number Plates on it.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A second hand TJ/TL Magna VRX with maybe 40000km on the clock would be below 20k - quite good value for money actually.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #6
CarBroker
Banned

There are 2 basic ways of getting a good price: Either talk to your uncle (or Eddy the Expert) and get a good grounding in how it all works. Go to http://www.carbroker.com.au/car_deal..._and_scams.php to get some more tips. Or just get someone to do the legwork for you instead. Someone you can trust to do a good job.
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
A second hand TJ/TL Magna VRX with maybe 40000km on the clock would be below 20k - quite good value for money actually.
Erm. Brand new? :alien2:

I got mine in March this year mate, I say that yes you do haggle them, But make sure that you show genuine interest, as dealers can sometimes tell whether you are serious or not. Familiarise yourself with the options avaliable and try to make sure that they throw in some for nothing. Let them know that you will walk out of there with a car provided they are willing to bargain with you and make you happy, and they will do whatever they can within reason to make you buy.

If not, you let them know that someone else will get your business, and you leave. They may give chase, but if they don't then dont worry bout it, there are plenty of other places you can get a new car.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #8
will_
Falcon Ute: UNBELIEVEABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
I bought a Mazda 6 not so long ago. The first thing you need to do is flatter the salesperson. Tell them that you know how well the car is selling, and that, because there are so many of them on the road, the resale is going to be really low, and therefore you need to have a lower price on the car, if not for now, but so that when you sell the car, the resale doesn't hurt you. Also, when push comes to shove, think about the car, make the dealer go away whilst you think, and try and get as much free crap in the car that you can possibly get. Try for tints and carpet mats. They are the most obvious options. If you get them, then try for other options, but go for a discount. Because of the price of the car you want, go for a few thousand less than quoted, and work upwards, towards a limit, set by yourself. Say, for a $20,000 car, put your first offer at $18,500, and go from there. I got my Territory for less because of that.

Will_, I see you are in Dolans Bay. I am in Caringbah (off Willarong Rd.), so I will have to keep an eye out for you. Look out for somebody in a Black Territory with AP Number Plates on it.
cant miss me. light blue XR8 with WHC on the plates
will_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Erm. Brand new? :alien2:
If you ignore the 30,000 km it spent it's life as being a govt car, yes. Still would have 4-3 yrs warranty left
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
RapidTypLady
RapidTypLady

Toby

Your dad is going to be very very sad that you are even venturing away from Fords and is he going to allow you to put another car in the driveway that is not a FORD.

Anyway just bought the new F6 just make sure you really want what they are offering you. Also check out what they will give you, check out for rust proofing, tint on your windows, paint protection and also fabric protector. They wont give it for free but they will do a deal for you which will be encorporated into the deal. Also check out the insurance that is going to be a cost as well. make sure you have all the documentation and if you want go away and think for the night and then go back and make the deal. But knowing you .. you want it yesterday.

Loans maybe from the bank are better option sometimes. So best you shop around.

Anyway good luck with your hunting and how sad not a FORD.

Enjoy your new car.

MODS SO FAR

Herrod Zorst, Herrod BOV, Herrod Suresix, Herrod Lowered Springs,
BMC Hi-Flow Filter,

Xtreme High flow cat, Xtreme 4"
dump pipe, Xtreme Ceramic Clutch, Bigger Injectors, Xtreme Edit & Tune

300+rwkw :
RapidTypLady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #11
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Talking

This is a classic..How we ended up with an XR6...we thought this was funny.
OK to be honest we were not even considering an xr6, we were really dead set on an SR falcon with the $6000 free extras that was going a few months back. Well we got the qoute from barry's ford and some others from other ford dealers in the area for a bit of haggling. We always went to barrys because we had bought a new hyundai from them back in '97 and they have a great service team. Final qoute for a shockwave SR 5spd with on-road costs, tint & towpack was $36,250 or there abouts. cool the wife was happy...A few days later the salesman rings me up on mobile to tell me " i'm so sorry mate, dunno how to tell you this but i made a big F@#k up! Ford had actually stopped putting the SR's together 2 weeks previous to the qoute given with the extras and they did a national search and there was NO SR falcons in shockwave with a 5 speed< a must :evil3: He also went on to tell me that there were NONE even made with a 5 speed! they all wanted the auto box.
I was really dissapointed, told him that, and i new kezza would be ****ed off at him, told him that too. So he apologized sympathetically (patheticly) and told me he had to speek to the boss about it and he'll ring me back. 20 minutes later he rings me back up and says that they had given us a qoute for the SR which cannot be had so they "had" to give us a one time only deal on a brand new XR6 which had just got in the day before.<(paperworked confirmed this.)
Anyhow, we got the rapidxr6 for a sweet drive away price of $35,582!!BRAND NEW. The price includes window tint($485), towbar($??) rego and stamp duty
Also got free premium sound($985), free traction control ($280?), free spats, and a whopping $6082 discount!!! So in all i near racked up $7500 off the new XR6 for a salesman error. :
Also this was a no trade in deal, due to the hyundai being a write off.
Had her for 2 months now, only 6873.2km
And i never got angry with them at any time during the deal.

To cap off... considering at the time xr6's were retailing in the mid $38gorilla new i thought we got a good deal.

Last edited by rapidxr6; 08-11-2005 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add more
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
nang3

yeh defo haggle with them !! and i dont recommend getting any of the rust proofing, $400 window tint or similar thru them..

best thing ive found is to go in and straight away say can you do it for $XXX dollars.. which will be a little less than you want to pay.. by saying what you want to pay it shows you've done your research etc.. assuming you dont make a ridiculous offer..
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #13
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Hey!

Went looking today, found a car I want, dad kinda approves which is good enough for me :P
I'll let you guys work out what it is :P
Hints are its a Toyota and gets 6.0l/100k's :P

Any way thanks every one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTypLady
Toby

Your dad is going to be very very sad that you are even venturing away from Fords and is he going to allow you to put another car in the driveway that is not a FORD.

Anyway just bought the new F6 just make sure you really want what they are offering you. Also check out what they will give you, check out for rust proofing, tint on your windows, paint protection and also fabric protector. They wont give it for free but they will do a deal for you which will be encorporated into the deal. Also check out the insurance that is going to be a cost as well. make sure you have all the documentation and if you want go away and think for the night and then go back and make the deal. But knowing you .. you want it yesterday.

Loans maybe from the bank are better option sometimes. So best you shop around.

Anyway good luck with your hunting and how sad not a FORD.

Enjoy your new car.
Ummm... Is this who I think it is? Coz I think I know who this is? If it is, I'll take it down to the plex' for you if you want!

Oh, And yes, your right.
I wanted it straight away, but its not here yet! I said I would go down to freo docks and get it my self lol

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #14
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

It would have to be either a corrola or a yaris.
Serioulsy though you have to haggle if you can save some money why not I say. I managed to knock of around 5 grand when I purchased mine.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

New Car Buyers Market at the moment. Helped my brother get deal on 2005 Shockwave MK2 XR6 sedan with premium sound and mats on road at 33k drive away. Not hard to achieve. Second dealer I visited offered this. Got finance at dealer but shopped around and got better offer from another dealer for finance on a car not even bought from them.

As for tint, paint protection etc, deal direct. Dealers rip people off big time with this stuff.

I paid 40k for new 2005 MK2 manual turbo in rapid with momo, 18's, premium sound and leather drive away.

Good Luck.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #16
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i agree, sounds like the echo...i mean yaris...i mean yaricho

i also agree, dont go with tint, rust-proofing (which is a bit of b/s anyway) and carpets etc...get these at other places...a chick at my work bought a honda new and they wanted 600 for a full set of car mats and 1k for tint (which they do through tint-a-car)...got aftermarket mats for 100 and went to tint-a-car direct and got it tinted for $250....theres a lot of ripping off going on at dealerships sometimes...just remember to think about things logically...the car will be there tomorrow despite what they might say and if its not, you can bet theres going to be another one just as good around the corner.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
i agree, sounds like the echo...i mean yaris...i mean yaricho

i also agree, dont go with tint, rust-proofing (which is a bit of b/s anyway) and carpets etc...get these at other places...a chick at my work bought a honda new and they wanted 600 for a full set of car mats and 1k for tint (which they do through tint-a-car)...got aftermarket mats for 100 and went to tint-a-car direct and got it tinted for $250....theres a lot of ripping off going on at dealerships sometimes...just remember to think about things logically...the car will be there tomorrow despite what they might say and if its not, you can bet theres going to be another one just as good around the corner.
Yeah I've heard the same. Since when do genuine mats cost upwards of $400.00, when in the same dealership spare parts store they are around $100.00.
I know a bloke who does rust proofing for nissan, he said he charges private customers between $100-$150 for the rustproofing. I've heard Nissan quote $800.00 for same.
Sounds a bit REPCO to me. Rip Every Poor C**t Off

Quote: