Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default 100 OCTANE FUEL now available! Wooo

Shell Optimax Extreme is formulated to deliver more engine responsiveness, sharper acceleration and enhanced power in many modern and high performance vehicles compared to other Shell premium fuels.

Check it out here:
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...r_extreme.html

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I wonder how much extra they will charge for this!! I remember when the Optimax first came out, I think the margin was around 5cents per litre, now is around 10cents extra per litre. This new 100 octane fuel will end up 20cents a litre more than standard unleaded methinks.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

I bet it will cost more even though it has 5% ethanol that's supposed to make it cheaper. :jab:
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Couldn't see it in their FAQs but does anyone know the effect of running 100 octane in a 98 octane-tuned car? No problem?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
I bet it will cost more even though it has 5% ethanol that's supposed to make it cheaper. :jab:
well, thats pretty much it.

its not all about octane rating, cause ethanol has a far lower specific energy that other fuels/fuel additives

and at the end of the day, how many cars are going to feel the difference between 98 RON and 100 RON?
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
and at the end of the day, how many cars are going to feel the difference between 98 RON and 100 RON?
Isnt the reason why the Current Evo and STI is detuned is because we dont have 100 octane fuel and Japan does?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 16-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

I was always led to believe that ethenol is no good for our motors?
Old 16-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Couldn't see it in their FAQs but does anyone know the effect of running 100 octane in a 98 octane-tuned car? No problem?

probably no difference, and if there is it will be marginally better.. but there will be no problem at all..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
I was always led to believe that ethenol is no good for our motors?
one of my dads mate is a manager at shell.. this is what hes told me..

Ethanol isnt that bad, aslong as the fuel dosent have more then 10% ethanol in it.. usually places like United and what not have about 8% ethanol in there fuel and no problems have come from cars using that stuff..

over a period of time, without the car being used.. the ethanol in the fuel may start to corrode the fuel system.. but if used on a daily basis there wont be any dramas..
Old 16-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Out of interest isnt ethanol the by product of sugar that everyone was ing about back about 6 months ago??? Whats the difference now (besides its not in 91 octane fuel)??? I would imagine if it is as hamful as everyone made it out to be 6 months ago, then there would be no difference now, just because the fuel is a higher octane doesnt mean that its any less harmful to the engine...

Thoughts on this, I coul be completly off the beaten track...

And please dont post a shell faq sheet to me, because they are flogging the product and will swear its safe!!!
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #11
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Isnt the reason why the Current Evo and STI is detuned is because we dont have 100 octane fuel and Japan does?

and yes this is correct.. japan has 102 octane fuel or something like that..
so the imports are generally de tuned to run on our crappy fuel..
Old 16-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #12
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch those ethanol knockers come here and tell us how this shell 100 ron fuel has added 10kws to their car and made it drive better than ever....:

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #13
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

This is taken frmo the LS1 forums

from the Auto Club of SA.....
Will Ethanol blended fuels cost more than unblended petrol?

Ethanol has a lower energy content than petrol, the 1998 Australian field trial by Apace Research observed a fuel consumption increase of up to 2.8% with E10.
Because of this higher fuel consumption there are fewer kilometres per tank of fuel, so ethanol blended fuels will cost motorists more.
The excise on ethanol is the same as that on petrol, however producers are able to claim back the tax paid on the additive. Therefore, consumers pay the tax at the pump, the government gives it back to ethanol producers and consumers are subsidising the industry to the tune of 3.8cpl for each litre of 10% ethanol blended fuel.
Commonwealth Treasury estimates that a 10% ethanol blend without any government subsidy would increase fuel prices by 7.8cpl. Consumers will pay for ethanol blended fuel either through this current fuel tax rebate or through higher fuel prices.

Will Ethanol damage my vehicle or affect its performance?

Most metal components in fuel systems will corrode or rust in the presence of water. Ethanol increases petrol's ability to absorb water without separating and Ethanol blended petrol can therefore ‘hold’ more water and carry this through the engine. The greater the concentration of ethanol the greater the ability to ‘hold’ water.
Several studies have examined the effect of E10 on fuel tanks and fuel system components and have concluded that ethanol up to 10% does NOT increase corrosion in normal, everyday operation.Ethanol blends MAY have a deteriorating effect on the rubber components of an engine.

So take it as ya will i guess
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB

10% does NOT increase corrosion in normal, everyday operation.Ethanol blends MAY have a deteriorating effect on the rubber components of an engine.

Someone define everyday normal operation in regards to the person that actually worte this... that basically mean sweet FA

Normal everyday operation could mean anything, for the person that worte it it could mean driving to the milk bar 500m down the road once a day or 300km to work and back once a day, reving the out of it, or driving everywhere at under 1500rpm's...

Maybe its my media studies side coming out, but that really doesnt say anything...

Also, last check large portions of valves rings etc were rubber or rubber based products.... hmmmm

Me thinks little Johnny and his ethanol buddy may have struck a deal... considering they are personal friends...
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 08:17 PM   #15
shane3
FPV GT 0915

I'll be sticking with the 98RON and adding a octain boost, as my GT runs like a pig when ethanol is mixed with the petrol.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #16
parawolf
beep beep

I could see this happening... tighter emissions will require higher octane fuels. 91 will be phased out. 95 will become the new 'base', 98 will become the new 'medium' and 100 will be for 'high' specification cars.

Expect the next falcon to require 95RON petrol in the base bog stock I6.
Old 16-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #17
paulvdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiS
Out of interest isnt ethanol the by product of sugar that everyone was ing about back about 6 months ago??? Whats the difference now (besides its not in 91 octane fuel)??? I would imagine if it is as hamful as everyone made it out to be 6 months ago, then there would be no difference now, just because the fuel is a higher octane doesnt mean that its any less harmful to the engine...

Thoughts on this, I coul be completly off the beaten track...

And please dont post a shell faq sheet to me, because they are flogging the product and will swear its safe!!!
The only difference is that Johnny's mates at Manildra want some value for money for their cash support of the libs. Johnny has visited the Aussie car manufacturers and told them they must promote Ethanol for his mates and at the same time he squeezed the refineries and told them the same story. Basically we're all expected to prop up Johnny's friends so they can continue to support him - no other reason at all. Absolutely nothing else has changed.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
I could see this happening... tighter emissions will require higher octane fuels. 91 will be phased out. 95 will become the new 'base', 98 will become the new 'medium' and 100 will be for 'high' specification cars.

Expect the next falcon to require 95RON petrol in the base bog stock I6.
I've heard this will be the case. 95 RON will soon be standard unleaded.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 09:22 PM   #19
max^power
Formerly au^ute

it would be interesting to see if this 100 stuff had any effect over a 1/4 mile time.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #20
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
it would be interesting to see if this 100 stuff had any effect over a 1/4 mile time.
AFAIK Short answer would be no unless your motor is tuned to take advantage of it...
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #21
YOOT
Banned

MRT did a premium fuel test on a WRX with a unichip, I got a document from the LS1 forums. They testes all the 98 RON fuels and tabulated the results.

The suprise was the only E10 fuel in there was the highest performer, exclipsing Vortex 98 by more than 5rwkw in the WRX. The worst performer was Shell 98. Also all the 98 fuels were NOT 98, they were coser to 97 or 96, Vortex was the only true 98 fuel, and was tested by Caltex (Seen there fuel testing vehicles getting around?). The E10 98 was also above 98 RON.

Unfortunately the report may never see the light of day as BP and shell are threatening law suits against MRT for deformation since it devalues there product, but if its not up to scratch then BP and shell have something to answer for.

The tested a number of race fuels, and they all performed within a couple of kws of themselves. All 100+RON.

The 98RON fuel provided a 10-15rwkw increase in power, and increase in area under the graph over 95RON fuel.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
AFAIK Short answer would be no unless your motor is tuned to take advantage of it...
Well, alot of cars ask for 95+ octane.... even mine.... and My friends car (Accord Euro) also asks the same. So, i guess their tuned for higher octane? Or.... their knock sensors like it....

Old 16-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #23
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your car runs on minimum 91 oct then anything over this is going to make perform better!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #24
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
well, thats pretty much it.

its not all about octane rating, cause ethanol has a far lower specific energy that other fuels/fuel additives

Well, depends from car to car I guess. I'll use mine as an example ('91 Pintara, 2.0L), its far from being a performance car, but it says in the owner's manual to use minimum 92 RON fuel in it, and it seems to know the difference between the 95 RON I always serve it and if you put 91 RON regular in it (I've done that once or twice).

100 RON would benefit sportier Japanese and European cars, they have 100 oct fuel in their home countries which they're made for, so maybe we could get full euro and/or jap spec stuff on 100 RON?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 12:08 AM   #25
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

My mechanic mate tells me every chance he gets NOT to use E10 or anything E? for that matter. Appearantly they have been putting some stuff in diesel for a while now, same idea as E fuels. Official word is no hamfull side effects. But he reckons all of a sudden there are lots of customers with fuel pump issues. Seals and other rubber/plastic bits just corroding away.

I put more faith in my mate than Johnny and his sugar friends

Baz

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #26
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
If your car runs on minimum 91 oct then anything over this is going to make perform better!
If its tuned to take advantage of the extra octane rating. 95% of most cars will not. and 95% of the 5% of cars that will will not automatically retune themsevles to take advantage of the fuel, the remaining 5% will have a tuneable car (such as an edit or chip) and can retune there car (but more timing in) to reap some benefit.

However the real benifit of the 100 RON is in the compression rate, you can run high compression and more timeing and get a bigger bang with less emissions. By putting 100RON in you car, your compresion will still remain low for 91RON fuel, and unless you have a smart ECU like in the BA Turbos in won't adjust your timing either, net gain = 0 and more cost to you for running a dearer fuel.

It clearly states in the BA/BF manual that running low octane fuel in the 240T will reduce performance because the computer retunes to allow for 91RON. 95 RON is recommended and the car and will 'respond' accordingly as the octane rises (to a degree). If you run 98 in the BA Turbo you rwkw tends to improve ina stock car by 10-15rwkw. I'm not sure if 100RON will allow it to increase further, however with an edit (like my car) I can have it more agressivly tuned and may pick up a few more kw.

My plan is to just run the 100RON without a new tune, because my 256rwkw was acheived on a good batch of 98 RON, and when I get crap 98 from some service stations, the car surges as the computer retards the timing momentarily because the crap 98 RON is starting to ping, 100ROBN will give me that extra head room I need for a silky smooth power band all the way to 300kw.
Old 17-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hmm interesting indeed. Although Ive heard that 5% ethanol is not good for some kind of water issue. Sound very vague I know but I over heard someone talking about it.

Either way 98 is good enough for me so ill stick to that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #28
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
hmm interesting indeed. Although Ive heard that 5% ethanol is not good for some kind of water issue. Sound very vague I know but I over heard someone talking about it.

Either way 98 is good enough for me so ill stick to that.
Ethonol (Alchohol) increases the fuels ability to absorb water. Fuel already absorbs water, however less than 10% of Ethonol will not increase the absorbtion enough to affect the fuel system and engine anymore than regular fuel does already.

Both Ford and Holden will release a statement next year endorsing their products (Falcon, Commodore etc.) as being E10 compatible, so fear not. I don't know if this applies to older models or not, but I'm sure VY/VZ BA/BF will be endorsed.

Optimax Extreme is only 5% so effects would be negligble anway.
Old 17-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #29
jmc-007

This will be interesting to see what happens.

But i use E10 Fuel in the lawn mower and Whipper Snipper and they seem to like it and blow less smoke :0

hrrm I wonder how the 100 octain UL will run in the race cars. Dad will be pleased that we dont have to put a low comp head on the 1300 Cosworth. (save buying racing fuel)

but hrrm so this is optimax with 5pc ethanol added. so the fuel is going to be 98 but with ethanol the rating goes up 2 points.

I recon you will find that the base fuel will be 98 and 100 depends on the batch

Last edited by jmc-007; 17-11-2005 at 11:49 AM.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #30
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

Bloody hell,

you guys dont know how good you have it over east. I just rang the BP hotline and they have confirmed that the Kwinana refinery will not be making any Premium (95) or Ultimate (98) for at least another two weeks. Trouble is that they supply most of the other distributors here in Perth as well.

Oh well looks like its back to the buses for me. :

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post