Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?
Yes. 57 32.95%
No. 68 39.31%
If prime movers, tractors, etc. are allowed, so can these. 25 14.45%
Suburbs only. 3 1.73%
Who cares. 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Are high rise vehicles safe in built up areas?

Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?

Imagine the damage of hitting or being hit by something that high, a side impact would be deadly.

Driving it feels like driving a cloud, it floats with the wind & road bumps; not dangerously so, but enough to make relaxed driving difficult. At 60km/h it feels like your doing 80, it has all the right type of gear underneath.

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 21-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
BlackLS

Yes, but should require a special licence like any vehicle over 2ton and over a certain height need to take extra training to learn how to control such a pig

Old 21-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
mustang

think about it for a second......why would u need a car that high in a city......do they feel that the streets of say melbourne are that bad that they need a big bad A$$ 4x4 to be safe..... not to mention that it prolly has illegal suspension hieghts.
Old 21-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Depends how it is setup and used I guess.

Also depends where you live and where you work (Need to travel).
Also comes down to using it for a hobby as well.

Like most people lower cars and put bodykits on them ... and larger wheels, etc.

Both types of vehicles can be as equally as dangerous as each other ... it coems down to if the modification sare done properly/safely ... and then it comes down to the driver of the vehicle (moreso than anything else).

Quite a few friends of mine have "high-rise vehicles" (mucho money spent too) ... and they get used for their intended purposes ... but also get used in suburbia too. But they all know their vehicles aren't built for speed and cornering ... and their drive accordingly to be safe.

They can't afrd to drive like idiots in them ... cos of the amount of money that is spent on thier vehicles.
Old 21-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Yes, but should require a special licence like any vehicle over 2ton and over a certain height need to take extra training to learn how to control such a pig
So i need a special licence to drive my Territory ... because that's over 2-tonne.

But i do believe you should complete a test to allow you to tow though (many people are hopeless when it coems to towing something of substantial size.)

I agree ... an advanced driving course or 2 in knowing how to handle your vehicle is money well spent for everyone.
Old 21-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Like most people lower cars and put bodykits on them ... and larger wheels, etc.

Both types of vehicles can be as equally as dangerous as each other ...
I'd feel heaps safer on the bump stops thanks!
Old 21-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Big 4WDs like that are just ugly pigs that should be taxed out of existence.
Old 21-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple Answer No!
Old 21-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
awsome4.0
Banned

BIG 4X4S kick *** . But they should be used 4 what they were built 4.
It s****me when you see them all the time and 90% of them are all tar bi##hs IMO i love em but keep em in the bush
Old 21-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?

Imagine the damage of hitting or being hit by something that high, a side impact would be deadly.

Driving it feels like driving a cloud, it floats with the wind & road bumps; not dangerously so, but enough to make relaxed driving difficult. At 60km/h it feels like your doing 80, it has all the right type of gear underneath.
I see more unroadworthy cars than these modded 4X4's.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 21-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
So i need a special licence to drive my Territory ... because that's over 2-tonne.
Yes I think you should have one. How do we know that you are capable of drive one. In my opinion they should ban all 4WDs from the city and suburbs

Quote:
But i do believe you should complete a test to allow you to tow though (many people are hopeless when it comes to towing something of substantial size.)
Yes I agree with you 100% most people would not have a clue how to tow let alone back one with a trailer.

Quote:
I agree ... an advanced driving course or 2 in knowing how to handle your vehicle is money well spent for everyone.
The most sensible thing you have said. No i am not one of the 4WD bashes I use to own one but it was only for the weekends hunting and camping trips unlike most of them on the roads today. If i have to pay a stupid price to register my V8 every year then why shouldn't 4WD's pay extra
Old 21-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #12
Rapid260

It depends on the driver, you put an idiot behind the wheel of that thing & its a lethal wepon, just the same as putting an idiot behind the wheel of a GT, but look at it, he has gone to alot of trouble to set it up right the car it's self would of cost 30k+ & the gear under it woud've cost another 15k, now anyone that spends that sort of money are usally responcible drivers.

Being a 4WD buff myself, before i got my XR8, i can say that the car will have very good stopping power, just look at the amount of rubber on the road, & all late model 4WD's have ABS, most 4WD'ers also now that in an accident they have on option that most drivers don't have & that is go off the road, the other thing is, these cars are slower high performance vehicle's, they ar enot ripping around the city street at 120km they are just cruising.

I'm all for them, i'm not all for the idiots that drive them dangerously,
Old 21-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

In regards to that sort of height, hell yes.

I was in BP before and just about to leave when one of those Mitsubishi vans rocked up next to me and I swear it was jacked up about an extra 15 inches than standard.
Old 21-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #14
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang
think about it for a second......why would u need a car that high in a city......do they feel that the streets of say melbourne are that bad that they need a big bad A$$ 4x4 to be safe..... not to mention that it prolly has illegal suspension hieghts.
By the same thinking , why do we need some of our cars to be as low as they are ?????
I think you can have your car how you like and if you like it extreme , beware the law ! If I owned a 4X4 and did extreme 4wheel drive driving with it , does that mean I should have not be allowed inside the city limits! Its like the old west , where the Sheriff would take your smokewagon off you and return it as you left town again !
out:

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Old 21-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
gozza

keep the 4wds on the 4wd parks or farms or wateva 4wd's are used for
im sick of em infecting the city
stupid women sitting up in them thinking there so powerfull and mighty
alot of 4wd also tend to think they have right of way everywhere
Old 21-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid260
the car it's self would of cost 30k+ & the gear under it woud've cost another 15k,
can u tell me where i can buy a 100 series cruiser from @ that price and then where i can buy that suspension set up from for 15k. i mean u would be lookin @ 50k for the car plus bout 30-40k for ALL that gear i mean really
Old 21-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #17
jspec_sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
Mate, I hope you never run into my wife... Are you an Ambulance member?
Old 21-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #18
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
I would agree with this if it was changed from weight to height.

If we start using weight as an issue for special licences, it wouldn't be long before small car owners start saying the same thing about large cars like Falcon, Fairlane & LTD's.
After all there are more small cars sold than large.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 21-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #19
mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man
By the same thinking , why do we need some of our cars to be as low as they are ?????
I think you can have your car how you like and if you like it extreme , beware the law ! If I owned a 4X4 and did extreme 4wheel drive driving with it , does that mean I should have not be allowed inside the city limits! Its like the old west , where the Sheriff would take your smokewagon off you and return it as you left town again !
out:
yes i agree not everyone needs to lower their car but why do u need a 4x4 in a town/city
Old 21-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #20
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
Dont be afraid of em ! If your in the right they will do 1 of 2 things ! Give way like the road rules say they should or they hit you and they get lumbered with a fine , possibly a driving charge and end up paying for the damage ! Dont be intimidated by em. I dont !

Old 21-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #21
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
yes i agree not everyone needs to lower their car but why do u need a 4x4 in a town/city
Re read my post again !

While they might not need a 4X4 in town, why do some people feel the need to have a car sound system that can be heard in the next suburb , when they sit 3 feet from the speakers while driving said doof doof ?

People will spend the money they have on what they like , it will never change . I love drinking Bundy , but everyone tells me beer will do the job !
:baby bott

Old 21-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #22
Rapid260

Quote:
can u tell me where i can buy a 100 series cruiser from @ that price and then where i can buy that suspension set up from for 15k. i mean u would be lookin @ 50k for the car plus bout 30-40k for ALL that gear i mean really
Mate it was just a ballpark figure to give readers an idea, no need to get picky.

Kev.
Old 21-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #23
big_pete
Sublime

i dont see a problem with it.
it all comes down to the driver. which is the same for ALL vehicles.
Old 21-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
I'd feel heaps safer on the bump stops thanks!
Not when a truck doesn't see you and runs straight over the top of you.
Old 21-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
It's good to see there are a few people on the forums with open minds.

jacked up 4WDs can be very safe.
lowered cars can be very safe as well.

as I mentioned before it cmes down to how it has been modified in the first place (ie: properly/safely) ... and the driver (skill/attitude).
Old 21-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #26
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is possibly another argument altogether but...

Why would you need to increase the ride hieght that much??

1) approach/departure angles:
Surely the approach/departure angles aren't that bad on this 4wd from factory? (know nothing about toyotas). In my experience (Jackaroo, Pajero, range rover, defender etc) the factory approach and departure angles were suffiecent however this is obviously a piontless argument as it depends on the condition of the track you are on!

2) clearance:
At the end of the day aren't the diffs and axles etc still the same height off the deck as before the mods?

Also the probability of rollover would be hugely increased after the mods.

I think that unless I am missing something these huge height increases overall are more for look at me purposes than anything else (Happy to hear thoughts on this!)!
It would be interesting to hear some serious 4wd peoples (don't know how we qualify this lol!!) oppinion on this - I'M SURE I WILL!!!!
Old 21-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #27
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
I agree totally!!!
Old 21-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #28
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Just an example of what can happen.

I saw an accident a few years back...

AU falcon lost control(fishtailing in the wet) and went onto the wrong side and hit a modified 4WD like that.
The impact ripped off the 4WD's drivers side front wheel and the bullbar ran up the front of the AU up to the A-Piller before tipping onto its passenger side sliding down the road.
All were ok, a few bumps an bruises.

Does depend on the person behind the wheel and yes people should have a different license to drive them i say.
Would make a lot of Mums feel special with a new license catagory. :P

Last edited by AC; 21-12-2005 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old 21-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #29
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
I see more unroadworthy cars than these modded 4X4's.
Exactly.

I do think that you should prove that you can safely drive one first though. There are alot of very bad 4x4 owners (read toorak taxi) that give the rest a bad name. I have a Vitara that is used as a daily driver and for off road (where LTD can't go) and it needs to be high.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 21-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #30
turboute
turboute

The real test of this question is :
you have 2 drivers A & B
Driver A is in a std falcodore sedan sedan and Driver B is in huge *** 4WD skysraper
upon approaching an intersection the driver sneezes - please note that sneezing is an uncontrolable bodily function and every part of you body including your heart momentarily stops. Also it is one of the few excuses that you may be able to get away with in court for causing an accident.

This stops them from being able to stop before the intersection and they both hit a car. Who do you think is going to do less damage? Irrespective of driver skill the 4WD will probably kill someone, due to the bull bar going straight through the window and missing all the side impact protection. Also it's larger mass means that It will take much more energy to stop it - ie it will go through the car while the average sedan will stop much closer to the initial point of impact.
Closed Thread