Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
oov802
Starter Motor

Default Headlight Lense New, Where

Hey, Just painted my headlight beazels black, reassembled the headlights an now you can see like millions of little cracks in the cover which were not visable with the original silver beazel, i think this is from ageing in the sun. Where can i buy the new plastic headlight covers ? or do i have to buy complete headlights ?

oov802 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talk to "The Dok".

He does repairs, reseals and all that to headlights.

www.theheadlighthospital.com.au
Email: dok196@optusnet.com.au
Old 04-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

LG is on the money, great bloke to deal with give, him a call!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmmmmmmm me thinks it's more from overheating in the oven, as the AU lenses are not prone to failure (yet)!!! Sometimes it's actually more cost effective to have it professionally done in the first instance :
I can help you in this case, but would not recommend re-installing them yourself.

Is there anything better than the praises of satisfied customers..........thanks guy's.......much appreciated :the_finge
Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
oov802
Starter Motor

Its not from oven overheating, have only done 1 headlight and the other one is finely cracked as well, just not as noticeable over the silver beazel. I just want new lenses dok can you give me price for 2 of em. Please
Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PM sent
Old 05-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

00v8302 my lights have very very slight fractures in them too i noticed. You cannot tell unless you look closely though. Dok, will this get worse if i do the headlight bezel mod?
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
00v8302 my lights have very very slight fractures in them too i noticed. You cannot tell unless you look closely though. Dok, will this get worse if i do the headlight bezel mod?
I have not come across this problem (fracturing), as yet (seems to be only AU11) but in my experience.......yes. Anytime you subject the lens to the high temp's required to remove it, there is always a risk. Putting a headlight in an oven at home is playing with fire.............apart from the fact they don't fit. In @15 yrs I have NEVER overcooked a headlight, but then again, my oven is purpose built for this type of job. If I were doing this mod (here) & saw the fracturing, I would recommend & install new lenses, or better still, just order a pair of reco'd one's from me with the black insert already done. :
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
oov802
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
I have not come across this problem (fracturing), as yet (seems to be only AU11) but in my experience.......yes. Anytime you subject the lens to the high temp's required to remove it, there is always a risk. Putting a headlight in an oven at home is playing with fire.............apart from the fact they don't fit. In @15 yrs I have NEVER overcooked a headlight, but then again, my oven is purpose built for this type of job. If I were doing this mod (here) & saw the fracturing, I would recommend & install new lenses, or better still, just order a pair of reco'd one's from me with the black insert already done. :
Yeah, Thats the way to go, reco'd ones from The Dok, were a lot cheaper than i thought, at that price its not worth the hassle of doing it urself.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
or better still, just order a pair of reco'd one's from me with the black insert already done. :
whats that worth.. sounds safer..
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hey "The Dok" ... I will be undertaking pulling my aftermarket AU headlights apart to fit HID projectors in them .... got any ummm ... tips or pointers for this ... I know I will have to cut a perfect circle in the back of the headlight reflector to accomodate the projector ... what is a good sealant/adhesive to keep the projector in place???

I am trying to keep the headlight adjustment so i can adjust them up and down as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #12
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
I have not come across this problem (fracturing), as yet (seems to be only AU11)
i have, and its not just a single model...ive had all model AU's that have it..

it is as though the plastic has been heavily shocked...,or twisted, while they're hot......which would seperate the different layers used to make up the lens...

you have to be extremely careful as you pull the headlights to bits... otherwise you risk damage
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Hey "The Dok" ... I will be undertaking pulling my aftermarket AU headlights apart to fit HID projectors in them .... got any ummm ... tips or pointers for this ... I know I will have to cut a perfect circle in the back of the headlight reflector to accomodate the projector ... what is a good sealant/adhesive to keep the projector in place???

I am trying to keep the headlight adjustment so i can adjust them up and down as well.
just a tip, i wouldnt hard-fix the projector to the reflector......
i'd make the fitment to the reflector fully adjustable just like the actual reflector is adjustable within the headlight.. this way, you can fine-tune the positioning if the projector mounting into the main reflector. just some screws spaced out with washers would do the trick in sure...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #14
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

More or less what MADNC_8 said but I'd try to keep it simple, however, when you say "aftermarket", what do you mean. Also you could use "Sikaflex" but I prefer "Bostik Gold" @1/2 the price but just as good, from Bunnings. Also, when you cut the reflector, use caution as the reflector surface is very easy to damage so blow off excess dust & use a soft rag or tissue to clean up.:thebirds: