Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
storm68
Starter Motor

Thumbs down clutch shudder

Hi all
Have a problem with au2 ute. Bad clutch shudder in first and reverse, worse in reverse. Have to rev it pretty high and ride the clutch a bit to lessen the problem. Had a new clutch and flywheel machined 28,000 ago. Any thoughts??
gearbox stuffed ??
Would the following cause this:
clutch cable stretched or sticky
clutch return spring is sloppy in its normal position
rear engine mount (gearbox) I can get movement at the gearbox mount pushing hard with my hands..is this normal or should there be no movement at all.
Dont have any gear changing problems
Thanks

storm68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm68
Hi all
Have a problem with au2 ute. Bad clutch shudder in first and reverse, worse in reverse. Have to rev it pretty high and ride the clutch a bit to lessen the problem. Had a new clutch and flywheel machined 28,000 ago. Any thoughts??
gearbox stuffed ??
Would the following cause this:
clutch cable stretched or sticky
clutch return spring is sloppy in its normal position
rear engine mount (gearbox) I can get movement at the gearbox mount pushing hard with my hands..is this normal or should there be no movement at all.
Dont have any gear changing problems
Thanks
My AU1 XR6 has this, but through all gears.... have been wondering the cause for a while, but no one seems to be able to give me an answer....
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be clutch fork bent and not releasing pressure plate evenly.Happened to me when clutch was replaced by Ford dealer.Replaced fork and shudder gone. Eventually fitted steel flywheel(tired of flywheel going out of shape and this also causes shudder!). Now the 8 revs slightly quicker and no more shudder ever again! :eclipsee_
Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could also be a ridge worn in presure plate fingers more common in city cars that do a lot of stop starting, if you push the clutch in while the engine is off and feel a jerky binding spot, then do the same with the engine running and the jerky binding spot is gone then that could be it, hard to guess with out looking, a friend of mine had this problem on his toyota i put a small dob of grease on the end of a screw driver, and put a smear of grease through the clutch fork hole between the thrust race and fingers and it fixed the problem ,but i suspect it would only be temporary (new clutch is proper fix), could be other stuff but its easy to check this one, i used to put graphite grease on pressure plate fingers when installing clutches seemed to last longer, cable could be a possible,i have heard of firewall cracks on some falcons at the cable area but i think this was earlier models, good luck with it
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
gus351

Hey mate,
I have had the same prob in my AUII V8 ute. I have just posted a topic on it so i'll let you read it if you like.
The bit above about the steel fly wheel rings a bell. When I was investigating why mine was doing it Daiken said that the fly wheels on that model are s##t.

If you have any joy, let me know can you?

angusdotdale@hotmail.com

Cheers.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #6
hambo_12

I am having the exact same problem, so id love to know any outcome from this.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
EDXR
GRRRRRR

I am having the same shudder problem but it's through all gears.

I've been everywhere and replaced pretty much everthing and i've still got no idea what the problem is. :

I'll start replacing things from the gearbox back next i think.

I figure if i keep replacing things i will fix the problem eventually.

ED XR6-polynesian green,factory 5 spd manual,factory electric sunroof,momo wheel,cruise control,custom plates.
EDXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
storm68
Starter Motor

Default problem 99.9% solved

Replaced clutch cable ( stretched and frayed in rubber boot section near fork end - possibly catching and sticking ) strengthened clutch pedal pivot as the whole assembly is ИИИИ weak and bent and flexed everytime pedal was pushed in making the cable at firewall pull and push at an angle .........or maybe it just seems better :
Old 26-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #9
storm68
Starter Motor

and thats a pretty good program that automatically bleeps out swear words...lol
Old 26-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
buickman
buickman

One of the reasons I stick with auto's in large cars more reliable. The XB GT I once owned with a twin plate was also a pig to drive in heavy traffic.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #11
BJMXR

My ED XR6 had the same thing, unfortunately not even ford could find the problem. I lived with it until some ***** stole the car. So i suppose that was one way to solve the shudder...

And my AUII XR8 is just starting to do it. Hopefully it wont progress much further.
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #12
TCK-098

Yeah typical crappy T5 boxes i had the same problem with my ute well it ended up on a tilt tray at the dealership and the so called 20 years exp ford technician running for cover in the mood i was in.

seriously you want the issue fixed dont go back to a ford dealer as id rather pay of pack of chimps to repair my Falcon anyday.