Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Last Monaro to go under hammer...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=84798

Old 01-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hammer to slip and smash window??

seriously though, there will be some desperado out there who will end up paying twice as much as its worth.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

can you imagine the look on the buyers face when he goes to the motor show and sees a new model that is only on display and cant be bought.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

oh and bloody holden doing at the motorshow...knowing fords history this will probably out do them...lol
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #5
XR6HP
Senior 3FB Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
seriously though, there will be some desperado out there who will end up paying twice as much as its worth.
Are you suggesting that everyone who already owns one hasn't already done that?? :hihi:
XR6HP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
FordFalconBF
2008 BF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
hammer to slip and smash window??

Yeh, $2 would be a bargain.

Cya,
Alan
FordFalconBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

shoot me but i sat in a CV8-Z today and it was a damn nice car. Wouldnt say no to one.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
zoomzoom

A friend of mine has a CV8 and its a nice car
sorry every one but hey call a spade a spade
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #9
red_hotxr6
Banned

Smile

Phew, 47,000 in 4 years no wonder the last one is under the hammer, how many of those were sold here in australia.? Or is that figure world wide. :newangel:
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

I pretty sure that would be world wide, a bucket load of 'em went to the States.

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well until ford out sell Holden, then buyers are obviously placing a lot more value in a holden than a ford. There are people prepared to pay what they think the car will be worth to them as an investment. If Ford said no more Gt's and put the last GT under the hammer, don't tell me there won't be at least 1 desperado paying twice what the ford is worth. And how many people around this forum would be running around saying "good deal, good deal, i'd pay 3 times that much for the last GT" :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:43 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

That would definately be a worldwide figure - some went to Saudi Arabia (I think?), the US and UK got them too.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #13
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom
A friend of mine has a CV8 and its a nice car
sorry every one but hey call a spade a spade
Exactly, I don't understand all the negativity... Credit where it's due people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Phew, 47,000 in 4 years no wonder the last one is under the hammer, how many of those were sold here in australia.? Or is that figure world wide. :newangel:
Why is that a surprise? Cars in the sports car segment only reach about 300-400 sales per month. I believe the Monaro topped the sales in this segment for the majority of time since it's release here.

The 47,000 figure are only local sales I would think, as they have been shipping about 15000 per year to the US alone.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #14
73gscoupe

Well the moneys going to a good cause, so good on holden. I hope it gets a record price.

And the CV8R's aren't too bad looking, only thing i dont like is the color.

I doubt it will be the last car from holden to wear the monaro badge.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Pffft it's a 2005 plate. Holden Employee Pricing please....
Old 02-02-2006, 03:32 AM   #16
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Well it was nice of Holden to donate that car for a worhty cause. Lets face it it will be the end of a era.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:36 AM   #17
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Sales figures: The FACTS:

Approximately ONE THIRD of all Monaro vehicles were sold in Australia. Thus of a total 47,000 made only 15,000 - 16,000 Monaros were sold here. I was under the impression the total production was 37,000, not 47,000, but the ONE THIRD rule is fact.

It is also fact that they proved a very poor seller here, and internationally. Which is a shame, as a sexy two-door full size car SHOULD have been far more successful, though I suppose sex appeal versus practicality won over now, as it did 30 years ago with the Falcon/Monaro/Charger hardtops of yesteryear. While not at all a fan of the drivetrain fitted to them, nor of the seats or seating position - nor of the overall build quality; they were a stylish, functional, and well appointed car with a 'sporty' style (though clearly not a sports car), and had they sold as well as they should have no doubt Ford would have been on board too - and created a car that will be iconic one day; though of the squillions of dollars required to develop such a vehicle, as much as I'd love to see one, clearly the Australian market doesn't support it.

The later more aggressive model with hood scoops etc. I personally think looked great compared to what else is on the market here - but CERTAINLY no rival to the Chev Camaro and Pontiac TransAm the 'GTO'-badged coupe was supposed to replace, and given that its understandable why there's so much stock sitting around in the States they can't move.

I remember hearing the words many years ago regarding that hot VT Coupé, that "numbers will be limited to XXX per year to ensure its position as a collectable in years to come". Yeah right, good in theory - and in response to the "marketplace's overwhelming welcomness", but all along it didn't sell like they reckoned it was going to, and for months now they find themselves packaging together this "limited edition" - EXACTLY what Ford did with the Cobra, out of fear they'd have hundreds of these damn coupé shells lying around after the 'all new' model is released. No doubt it will have a collectable appeal one day, has history has shown us with previous unsuccesful cars, such as the Chrysler by Chrysler hardtops, and the Landau for example, though the guy on the news expecting this last one to be worth 2 to 3 times its RRP purely because of its place in the production order is rediculous.

Let's see what it goes for - and if infact GMH-IA or one of its subsiduries/museums/etc. are the "winning" bidder...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 02:45 AM   #18
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Sales figures: The FACTS:

Approximately ONE THIRD of all Monaro vehicles were sold in Australia. Thus of a total 47,000 made only 15,000 - 16,000 Monaros were sold here. I was under the impression the total production was 37,000, not 47,000, but the ONE THIRD rule is fact.

It is also fact that they proved a very poor seller here, and internationally. Which is a shame, as a sexy two-door full size car SHOULD have been far more successful, though I suppose sex appeal versus practicality won over now, as it did 30 years ago with the Falcon/Monaro/Charger hardtops of yesteryear. While not at all a fan of the drivetrain fitted to them, nor of the seats or seating position - nor of the overall build quality; they were a stylish, functional, and well appointed car with a 'sporty' style (though clearly not a sports car), and had they sold as well as they should have no doubt Ford would have been on board too - and created a car that will be iconic one day; though of the squillions of dollars required to develop such a vehicle, as much as I'd love to see one, clearly the Australian market doesn't support it.

The later more aggressive model with hood scoops etc. I personally think looked great compared to what else is on the market here - but CERTAINLY no rival to the Chev Camaro and Pontiac TransAm the 'GTO'-badged coupe was supposed to replace, and given that its understandable why there's so much stock sitting around in the States they can't move.

I remember hearing the words many years ago regarding that hot VT Coupé, that "numbers will be limited to XXX per year to ensure its position as a collectable in years to come". Yeah right, good in theory - and in response to the "marketplace's overwhelming welcomness", but all along it didn't sell like they reckoned it was going to, and for months now they find themselves packaging together this "limited edition" - EXACTLY what Ford did with the Cobra, out of fear they'd have hundreds of these damn coupé shells lying around after the 'all new' model is released. No doubt it will have a collectable appeal one day, has history has shown us with previous unsuccesful cars, such as the Chrysler by Chrysler hardtops, and the Landau for example, though the guy on the news expecting this last one to be worth 2 to 3 times its RRP purely because of its place in the production order is rediculous.

Let's see what it goes for - and if infact GMH-IA or one of its subsiduries/museums/etc. are the "winning" bidder...
LOTS OF GOOD POINTS THERE IF I HAD THE MONEY I WOULD BUY IT . I WOULDNT DRIVE IT FOR 2 REASONS THE 1ST IS IT DOESNT APPEAL TO ME . THE 2ND IS I CONSIDER IT TO BE AN ICON CAR AND WOULDNT DARE . THAT WOULD BE MY INVESTMENT ( COLLECTORS ITEM CAR.) AS MUCH AS I AM FORD V8 MAD . I HAVE TO ALWAYS TAKE MY HAT OFF TO HOLDEN BECAUSE THEY ARE ALWAYS INFRONT THEY BROUGHT BACK THE MONARO COUPE . DID FORD BRING BACK THE COBRA . NO. NOW THEY HAVE A 6 LITRE V8 STANDARD ENGINE AGAINST THE TREND . FUEL PRICES GO UP . HOLDEN GETS A BIGGER V8 (HATS OFF) IMAGINE FORD (FPV) NOW HAVE A 6 LITRE TO COMPETE WITH THE BOSS 5.4. BRAGGING RIGHTS TO HOLDEN HERE .I AM A FORD DIE HARD BUT I LOVE HSV . AND I WOULD BUY ONE IF I WAS RICH AND PUT IT NEXT TO THE GT , TYPHOON, XY PHSE III, COBRA, 68 MUSTANG, AND XP FALCON. AND I WOULD DRIVE THEM ALL WITH HONOUR.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #19
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmmmm caps lock
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #20
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
LOTS OF GOOD POINTS THERE IF I HAD THE MONEY I WOULD BUY IT . I WOULDNT DRIVE IT FOR 2 REASONS THE 1ST IS IT DOESNT APPEAL TO ME . THE 2ND IS I CONSIDER IT TO BE AN ICON CAR AND WOULDNT DARE . THAT WOULD BE MY INVESTMENT ( COLLECTORS ITEM CAR.) AS MUCH AS I AM FORD V8 MAD . I HAVE TO ALWAYS TAKE MY HAT OFF TO HOLDEN BECAUSE THEY ARE ALWAYS INFRONT THEY BROUGHT BACK THE MONARO COUPE . DID FORD BRING BACK THE COBRA . NO. NOW THEY HAVE A 6 LITRE V8 STANDARD ENGINE AGAINST THE TREND . FUEL PRICES GO UP . HOLDEN GETS A BIGGER V8 (HATS OFF) IMAGINE FORD (FPV) NOW HAVE A 6 LITRE TO COMPETE WITH THE BOSS 5.4. BRAGGING RIGHTS TO HOLDEN HERE .I AM A FORD DIE HARD BUT I LOVE HSV . AND I WOULD BUY ONE IF I WAS RICH AND PUT IT NEXT TO THE GT , TYPHOON, XY PHSE III, COBRA, 68 MUSTANG, AND XP FALCON. AND I WOULD DRIVE THEM ALL WITH HONOUR.
ssshhh! stop yelling its only 9am over here,

haha my mates 302 xe with nothing but a cam and a holley killed a cv8 in a drag 5 days ago they are slow peices of crap
Tiapan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #21
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Re: the 6-litre comment;

Ford, and BMW, have a history of refining technology and extracting the best from the available engine.
Holden, and Mercedes, have a history of just throwing a supercharger at it or getting more cubes.

I think that's some food for thought, don't you all?
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
gtfpv
GT

sorry bout the caps and spelling errors i am still a stone age typer. the easiest way to make a v8 have more power is to make it bigger. (bore it out) and lighter is to make it out of alloy. refinement and chassis work are another story . now if ford put as much thought into the easy things as they did into the high tech things . i'm sure fords would be better than they are now . they are very good now and out do holden in many areas . but marketing and bragging rights always go to holden. thats why holden special vehicles came out long before ford performance vehicles.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #23
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiapan
ssshhh! stop yelling its only 9am over here,

haha my mates 302 xe with nothing but a cam and a holley killed a cv8 in a drag 5 days ago they are slow peices of crap
no doubt....put some extractors on the monaro (the zorst apparently arent too bad flowing on cv8's) and an edit and you would prob have a different story. Your right though, they are a gen 3 like the rest.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #24
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

who cares.......there not a Ford so who cares...Don't post Holden ИИИИ on ere no1 cares!
:the_finge
Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 AM   #25
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
who cares.......there not a Ford so who cares...Don't post Holden ИИИИ on ere no1 cares!
Ditto.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #26
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
I seconed that comment.......
1974 XB COUPE
NO TRACTION AT EASTERN CREEK

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
COLD AIR INTAKE BY PERFORMER SHAKERS
FULL X-FORCE QUAD TIPPED EXHAUST SYSTEM
thunderoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #27
BlackLS

This website is for motoring enthuiasts who like Ford... Some people also like holden (shock horror ) on this site, so for those who say no one cares, look at all the people who posed before you.

I for one would like to know the last monaro is going under tha hammer, perhaps i may buy it?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #28
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
This website is for motoring enthuiasts who like Ford... Some people also like holden (shock horror ) on this site, so for those who say no one cares, look at all the people who posed before you.

I for one would like to know the last monaro is going under tha hammer, perhaps i may buy it?
If that is the case go on the holden site their are bound to have it on there.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #29
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
If that is the case go on the holden site their are bound to have it on there.
The Pub
For General Automotive Related Talk

Tell me how this thread isn't general automotive talk. Theres nothing saying anywhere in the forum rules saying "Only ford talk"

I am just saying, you personally may not give a flying ИИИИ, but a lot of other forum members are interested. We're not all one eyed Ford lovers so STFU.

I commend Holden in donating the proceeds to the leukemia foundation.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #30
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Firstly. People who dismiss an entire range of vehicles based on their badge are, to put it quite simply. Idiotic.

Secondly. Its automotive general chat, and there are people who care enough to post in this topic and wish to discuss the subject.

Thirdly. If you dont care. Feel free to leave the thread, and keep your "noone cares" comments to yourselves.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post