Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Phil
......Ford........

Default Xenon type light globes

Was thinking of fitting the gas type globes to my car. Not the real Xenon lights with the ballasts but the globe type, the ones that change the headlight colour to that iritating blue/purple colour. Just want to know if anyone has fitted this globes and if they make a difference in light produced/ better light or are they just a gimik, ****factor?
Cheers Phil

FG 315 Pursuit ute....#20
"Green is Nice"
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate played around with heaps of these a few years ago.. not only are they expensive but you actually loose output! With some types you can actually see the blue being reflected in the headlight when the light is off.. just doesn't look right.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

The Xenon or Opti-Blue light bulbs are an increased colour temperature. This means instead of a dull brown light you will have a brilliant white light - almost bluish. The slight blue twinge you see on an oncoming car is because you are seeing the outer edge of the light beam where the colour temperature is not accurate.

Some people think they have less output, as they don't waste light glowing on the ground infront of you like the standard type. Rather, they reflect a brilliant and resilliant crisp white light off all the markings and reflectors, sign posts, everything you are supposed to be seeing. Where fog is impossible with brown lights, the Xenon globes allow (me) to drive on high-beam through fog, with very little ghosting, and a clear view of all the lines and markers guiding the hilly route for hundreds of meters ahead!

I choose the Xenon style globes because they provide an INCREASED output, and a brighter whiter more useful light with the SAME wattage/current draw. And I don't believe $25 a pair is particularly expensive; nor significantly more than standard globes. I once had a bad set of Phillips in a different car; my Ford has Narva's and have proven flawless thus far. And before anyone asks I have another car with standard brown globes to compare with and I drive them both regularly, that one even has low-set driving lights and gets flashed more than my Ford, in which I can see SO MUCH further thus significantly safer.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

What /\ /\ /\ /\ Big Mike said!
Got them, love them, appreciate the difference they make! First mod to all my cars!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Any brands that you can recommend and what "wattage" are they supposed to be. I have an AU2 XR8 so if anyone has tried them then I am all ears!!
Leon.
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use them... excellent. Check out the Philips range.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Phillips Crystal Vision and The Blue Vision.
Also the Narva Plus range is good as well.

If you increase wattage though ... you will run the risk of damaging your headlights.

I just took my actual HID kit out of the ute (as it was burning holes through my reflectors) ... and the beam was not controlled and causing a massive amount of glare for other road users. The beam was awful.

I have just changed my headlights to a projector H1 style beam ... and with a halogen globe in it I am getting a better beam pattern than I did with a standard reflector with HID unit in place.

I will be upgrading the Halogen globe to one of the Phillips globes on offer that gives out a higher colour temperature.

I was running a 6000K temp HID kit ... and I wouldn't go higher than that temperature as the light output goes blue/purple and light output drops dramatically.

Standard halogen is arouns the 2400K mark ... most upgraded globes are arouns the 4200K mark which is a marked improvement and gives better clarity at night.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
falcon91

They might be good in your own car, but annoy the crap out of me in oncoming vehicles!
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

They are only annoying if the headlights are not adjusted correctly.
Old 28-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

I used the philips in my car, still got them V8Snerlo, come round and I'll give you a try.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phillips Diamond (not Crystal) Vision gives the ultimate white-blue....almost like you have real xenons. My dad has them on his Merc.....why waste $2500 as an option when you gan get these. Check Autobarn for availability.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
Phillips Diamond (not Crystal) Vision gives the ultimate white-blue....almost like you have real xenons. My dad has them on his Merc.....why waste $2500 as an option when you gan get these. Check Autobarn for availability.

Will be very soon ... might take a photo to show the difference ... one headlight comparing to standard in the other headlight.
Old 28-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Crystal Vision Performance Globes
CrystalVision is a very white light with a colour temperature of 4300K. The amount of light output is slightly less than that of a standard globe but is much whiter / bluish. Gives a definite blue appearance when you look into the headlight lens.

Diamond Vision Performance Globes
DiamondVision is the ultimate blue light with a colour temperature of 5000K. The amount of light output is reduced compared to a standard globe but provides that incredible blue/white light. Gives a strong blue appearance when you look into the headlight lens.

Vision Plus Performance Globes
With 50% more light on the road and a 10 - 20 metre longer beam, VisionPlus is ideal for those that do a lot of night time driving and need the ultimate headlights.
Old 28-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
They are only annoying if the headlights are not adjusted correctly.

no.................they are annoying, period. especially on long straight roads with enough bumps and hollows to keep mountain goats happy.

they should be outlawed.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Well ... I just picked up the Blue Vision ... they are a 4000K globe and are ADR approved ... the Crystal Vision and Diamond Vision are just there for looks ... distance is diminished.

Was just shown a comparison between all of the globe ... and when going above the 4000K mark the actual brightness of the beam dropped off as the blue started showing through more.

Will add pics later on.

The Blue Vision globes shine a bright white ... there's no blue in the beam at all.
Old 28-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

sweet..pics would be good as I want some new globes asap!

What type would I get for my EL Ghia?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

When i get them installed I'll try and get some uploaded.
I have some on my phone at the moment ... but Vodafone must have an MMS issue at the moment ... damn Server Connection Error ... otherwise I'd have other pics to upload.
Old 28-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #18
Phil
......Ford........

Thanks all, much appreciate the input. I thought they were just there for anoyance but they obviously make a difference, so will look into them a bit more.
Cheers !
"Green is Nice"
Old 28-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #19
joshf2
striped

Quote:
I just took my actual HID kit out of the ute (as it was burning holes through my reflectors) ... and the beam was not controlled and causing a massive amount of glare for other road users. The beam was awful.
remember the discussion we had prior?! we need to atch up and see if they work on my car

ive had a lot of different bulbs in my time, ranging from cheap blue lights to "bugger me thats expensive" PIAA lights

like some others have said before, the cooler the colour temp, the lesser output you get. alot of them arent ADR approved. not that its really that big an issue.

the PIAA's i had cost about $180 a pair, but they were worth it. a very very white light with better output than the phillips/narva plus 50's. in saying that, i cant justify forking out $90 everytime one blows. so now i have the narva plus 50's with the boring yellow colour.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I will try the Blue Visions ... as I now have projectors in the AU headlight ... standard globes are not too bad ... so will see how the Blue visions go ... I might change one of them ... and see what the difference is driving home .... hee hee.

I had to cut the loom ... and one of the globes was stuffed in the HID kit (with a replacement value of nearly $200 a globe as well). One of the ballasts was playing up too.

In halogen as you start getting too high it does affect light output as well ... with HID ... it can go a higher colour ... but anything over 8000K it starts looking very purple (I have seen 10,000 and 12,000K kits .... damn ... more for looks than proper road use). The Gas Discharge Globes give out a much better light due to the arc passing through theh Xenon gas in the globe ... not like the conventional filament type globe.

Duffman is using HIDs behind his projectors in his AU ... will be interesting to see what the output is like.

I can't remember Josh ... does the Festy had a reflector housing ... or a Projector in it???
Old 28-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #21
f6speedster

Hi guys,

I just replaced all the globes on my F6 with the new Phillips Crystal Vision Performance Globes. They are awsome!!!! I changed low and high beams and the spotlights. With a minor headlight adjustment they are a 50% improvement over the stockers.
Old 28-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #22
Phil
......Ford........

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6speedster
Hi guys,

I just replaced all the globes on my F6 with the new Phillips Crystal Vision Performance Globes. They are awsome!!!! I changed low and high beams and the spotlights. With a minor headlight adjustment they are a 50% improvement over the stockers.
What sort of cost should I be looking at for a set (pair) of these Phillips Crystal Vision ?
"Green is Nice"
Old 28-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

My Blue Visions were around the $50 for the pair ... I think the guy said the Crystal Visions (or was that Diamond Vision) are more like $90 for the pair ... this was from Autobarn in Chatswood.
Old 28-04-2006, 07:57 PM   #24
Phil
......Ford........

Quote:
My Blue Visions were around the $50 for the pair ... I think the guy said the Crystal Visions (or was that Diamond Vision) are more like $90 for the pair ... this was from Autobarn in Chatswood.
Thanks Mechan1k, was thinking they were more than that, so thats ok.
Cheers
"Green is Nice"
Old 28-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #25
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Reccomend a brand and wattage?

I had a pair of slightly higher wattage than standard in my Camaro and they kept tripping a circuit breaker I couldn't find, and failed within a few months anyway. They were a Phillips brand globe.

My XB Ford has all four headlights with "NARVA H4 60/55W Arctic Blue" Reading off the reciept the rrp was $41.65 (per pair) I paid $25.52 ea (pair) thus a TOTAL of $51.04 for ALL FOUR globes. The reciept is dated Dec 2004 and I use this car daily and haven't had any reliability issues with these. So I'd recommend Narva because I've had a good run - but I'm sure they're probably all the same.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

To the best of my knowledge after reading many threads like this one around the traps, if you are after the best light output to see the road ahead then the Philips vision plus 50% are the top guns for light output. What colour they emit I have no idea, but I think we want light not colour?
Old 28-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #27
f6speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
What sort of cost should I be looking at for a set (pair) of these Phillips Crystal Vision ?
I paid around $250 dollars for 6 globes and the parkers.

2 x low beam
2 x parkers
2 x high beams
2 x spotlights
Old 28-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #28
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV329
To the best of my knowledge after reading many threads like this one around the traps, if you are after the best light output to see the road ahead then the Philips vision plus 50% are the top guns for light output. What colour they emit I have no idea, but I think we want light not colour?
what we're wanting is nice white light, not dirty yellow light...which doesnt light up the road as well....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #29
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

REM - IF the bulb bears an E mark, then it'll be ADR51 compliant.

Just use the right bulb for the job is all that then applies.

Phillips, Osram, Narva, Hella are all fine, indeed some are from the same factory.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 12:55 AM   #30
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

So whas the best choice to use to replace the standard globes on an AU?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post