Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Does the way you treat a car driving wise, affect its value?Maybe not!

I had a brand new Hyundai Accent 2001, did a a over quarter million km in it, and in that time have driven it flat out basically the whole time! In fact have statistics a bit like this :
over 160kmh : at least 60,000km:
rallying on rough mountain roads (canberra, flinders ranges, great dividing range NSW, Grampians...) 50,000km! (I ALWAYS detour my travels for any dirt road!)
jumps and bottoming out dips: 100+
Bumpers ripped off : twice
Brake pads : every 6000km when going hard!
Tyres : ~10,000km when going hard
Replacement parts under warranty : 3 gearbox replacements (bearings melting from high wpeed, synchros, diff blew apart), ball joints, some computer rev limit thing,
After warranty : Took it a bit more easy on the gearbox, so only 1 more gearbox.
Replaced Lots of wheel studs : overheated with my braking, and lose strength, they snap like a twig!
Had lots of flat tyres :even 2 at once sometimes, so drove on a rim at some stages, once for 100km sparking along the roads..
Bogged many times.
Driven in Salt lakes(and in the water), on beachs, down 4wd tracks, ontop of rocks, through gorges and river crossings (like at the flinders ranges), Been stuck on rocks, logs...
Had to bend front frame that radiator sits on a number of times due to jumps that dive front first too much. And then jump on top of radiator so my bonnet closed properly.
More often than not rev it right out, and I like showing everyone what a rev limiter sounds like.
I would often go for the worst fuel consumption, just for fun, attaining over 14 litres per hundred quite regularly! (from a 1.5 litre!!)

Recently I raced doing autocross racing, and came 3rd out of 45, first try, then 1st in my second try out of 40 cars!

Less than 5 years later, all this driving that to me was fun!, I believe made no difference whatsoever to the value of the car!

The interior was perfect, the paint was pristine, and there were no dents!

I always hosed the salt off if there was any.

I am so glad I drove like this instead of ticking around.

What did I sell it for you ask?

No RWC, no rego, I wanted $5500, but happily took $4200.

The bloke who got it was wrapped.

And for that money, If I needed a car I would have been happy to keep it.
I'll post a photo soon.

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 02-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol. That's awesome. You sound like a fun guy to go for a sunday drive with!
Old 02-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was the bear on the keyring to fool him into thinking it was a well looked after ladies car? : :eclipsee_
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I say if you warm up the car and give it 10-20min in driving conditions to warm everything up at running temp there is never a reason why you can't hit the limit here and there.
As long as it's in good serves well maintained
I know a bloke that owns a new Toyota hilux, From day 1 he has thrashed it and it's faster then his mates hilux's. And they baby theres
Old 02-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I had a brand new Hyundai Accent 2001, did a a over quarter million km in it, and in that time have driven it flat out basically the whole time! In fact have statistics a bit like this :
rallying on rough mountain roads (canberra, flinders ranges, great dividing range NSW, Grampians...) 50,000km! (I ALWAYS detour my travels for any dirt road!)
jumps and bottoming out dips: 100+
Bumpers ripped off : twice
Brake pads : every 6000km when going hard!
Tyres : ~10,000km when going hard
Replacement parts under warranty : 3 gearbox replacements (bearings melting from high wpeed, synchros, diff blew apart), ball joints, some computer rev limit thing,
After warranty : Took it a bit more easy on the gearbox, so only 1 more gearbox.
Replaced Lots of wheel studs : overheated with my braking, and lose strength, they snap like a twig!
Had lots of flat tyres :even 2 at once sometimes, so drove on a rim at some stages, once for 100km sparking along the roads..
Bogged many times.
Driven in Salt lakes(and in the water), on beachs, down 4wd tracks, ontop of rocks, through gorges and river crossings (like at the flinders ranges), Been stuck on rocks, logs...
Had to bend front frame that radiator sits on a number of times due to jumps that dive front first too much. And then jump on top of radiator so my bonnet closed properly.
More often than not rev it right out, and I like showing everyone what a rev limiter sounds like.
I would often go for the worst fuel consumption, just for fun, attaining over 14 litres per hundred quite regularly! (from a 1.5 litre!!)

Recently I raced doing autocross racing, and came 3rd out of 45, first try, then 1st in my second try out of 40 cars!

Less than 5 years later, all this driving that to me was fun!, I believe made no difference whatsoever to the value of the car!

The interior was perfect, the paint was pristine, and there were no dents!

I always hosed the salt off if there was any.

I am so glad I drove like this instead of ticking around.

What did I sell it for you ask?

No RWC, no rego, I wanted $5500, but happily took $4200.

The bloke who got it was wrapped.

And for that money, If I needed a car I would have been happy to keep it.
I'll post a photo soon.

That's bloody funny.... made for a great read ! Excells and the like deserve to be driven with destain, and complete disregard for any mechanical sympathy.

I had a mate who owned an excell for three years and thrashed the living bugger out of it like you, and only ever broke it once..... gearbox.

He used to think it was funny to start the car from cold, foot flat to the floor, and drop the clutch befor the starter pinion had even released from the fly wheel. Cold to redline in reverse or 1st EVERY start up that allowed for a wheel spinning exit ! WOP, wop wop goes the rev limiter.

He then brought a Brand new BA Pursuit. Wore through the first set of rear 18's by the 1500 km service.

The Pursuit unfortunately is no longer in the land of the living..............

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Remind me not to buy a car of you.

Then again ive always been a advocate of well-maintained cars, over family driven vehicles that arent mainatined. Id prefer to buy a Falcon of of a experienced guy who knows a bit about cars than some family hack driven by a person who would know a rocker cover from an exhaust.

That being said what do is extreme , you just better hope the guy who bought doesnt read these forums. The Hyundai's do hold up reasonably well to thrashing, i guy i kner (P-plater) absolutely caned the christ out of a manual 2dr 98 twin cam exel and it help up well, this guy used to drive it so hard, the damn thing looked like it had been turboed.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
gozza

my mate bought a cordia turbo from a dealer for 3 grand
didn't service it once...(maybe a minor oil change)
thrashed the living hell out of it for nearly 2 yrs and sold it back to a dealer for the price he payed for it

unbelievable if you ask me....at least your accent looks in good nick.....im at wits end as to why the dealer bought it.....my mate didn't even have keys for it....it arrived on a towie lol
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
XRated
Shoot.

That's awesome haha. Built Hyundai Tough :S

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
BlackLS

This thread is useless without *more* pics!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
Angeldust

lol

u making me want to rush out and buy an accent :eclipsee_

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
lol

u making me want to rush out and buy an accent :eclipsee_
You'd be supprised how much of a bashing those Hyundai's can take and just keep coming back for more...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you go through that spiel with the buyer BEFORE you sold the car?

Might effect your resale value then.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #14
HLC
Audi S3

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!! thats awesome!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 95 S-coupe I used to own was similar. It had a hard life at times. I used to stir the rice bodys up at the lights. They used to give their car a rev. I used to sit there on the limiter till the lights went green. Then I crawled off the lights rofl ;) Watched them blast away It'd done many a burnout to show you don't need hp to do a burnout. The S-coupe was stock. The only non factory parts where the wheels and CD player.

The car owed me $700 in total for 10 years use (230,000k's). 1 bearing in the starter, 1 set of front pads, 1 battery, 1 alternator and 1 exhaust. If you include tyres? Add $670. Unfortunately I can't say that for my EL. The list of repairs is at least a page long. It's a pile of s**t as far as I'm concerned. No more late model Falcons for me once it goes. Maybe I'll put a late model E series V8 in an old 70's Falcon?

I serviced it every 10,000 without fail. The gearbox started to get ordinary so I traded it for my 02 Astina last year. I dare say either the g/box was failing syncro wise or the clutch was failing. Either way I cbf'd sorting it. In the end the Mrs drove it more than me. Once that happened it deterior rated. I could tell she droe it harder than me. I used to get around 550-600k's per 35lt. She got 480ish.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #16
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really was impressed with the car after all it got given to it!

I also of course perfected reverse 180's, hand brake turns, 360s ( on dirt as well as asphalt!)

And after all that it still felt amazingly solid, almost like a new one!
The Engine never skipped a beat, pretty amazing engine, and it certainly still does the 0-100 in under 10 seconds after all that driving. Always amazed anyone in a commodore of falcon just how easily it keeps up or even beats them!

It really was fantastic on the dirt! There is no way any big car could ever keep up. Didnt matter how rough either, always kept going great and fast. All this driving is what helped when it came to racing autocross with it. The handbrake was always given a workout!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #17
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

/me makes note to never buy a Car off you........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #18
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres some pics of this unbreakable Hyundai accents travles :
Here is when you do a jump and go nose first into a sand dune:

Getting stuck in the middle of forrests is always a challenge, here it is stuck on a log :

Here is a sign that says 4wd's only :

Havin no mud flaps takes your paint off when doing outback high speed driving :

And after i had driven it enough, I raced it and got trophies!

Old 02-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #19
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

who needs a toyota hilux, when you got a Hyundai.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #20
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahaha classic

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #21
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Bwahahahahah, thats just plain mad!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #22
dishpig
Only an xr6...

is it possible to loss power when u thrash a car cause mine feels a lil slower then it used. BTW i drive a sonata and it had a life and a half not a panel on it thats flat. Post pics tomorrow it's good for a laugh.
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #23
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
s it possible to loss power when u thrash a car cause mine feels a lil slower then it used. BTW i drive a sonata and it had a life and a half not a panel on it thats flat. Post pics tomorrow it's good for a laugh.
Yeah, the things probably clapped out, more revs and more load=more wear. The compression in the motor is probably down.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #24
frenzal
EF XR6

Quote:

sorry but i call bullsh1t on this part.
frenzal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #25
WINDSR
Genuine V8

Great read all round. Ive been in a few Hyundai's. Very fun to drive.

WINDSR plates for sale. (VIC) PM if interested.
WINDSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #26
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over 160: Well I will explain, although I wont say It is my current practice. I used to drive at night, specifically on large 2000+km round trips, I would get up at 1 in the morning or so, and try for record times (yep thats bad of me...) It was one of those things you get past I suppose, and think back on with fond memories and of course think, that was a bit silly!
In the outback, Id always be going flatout, and at night I would discover the right ways to drive to have high speeds, yet be safe, and miss all the 24 hour police stations I know of :-) I did at least 30 2000km+ trips like this. Thats when I would get my super bad fuel economy. (and I havent done that in a few years now)
Old 02-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #27
ToxikXR
you've been dubbed..

HAhAHa.. funny stuff... but u r crazy
APR Turbo Back Exhaust, APR Torque Arm Insert, APR ECU, APR Fuel Pump, Oettinger Bodykit, Oettinger Intercooler, Oettinger RXX 19x8.5 Wheels, Dbilas Cold Air Induction, Neuspeed Front & Rear Swaybars, Forge Diverter Valve
Anthracite Leather, Sat Nav, Xenons, DSG, Sunroof, 20% Tint
ToxikXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #28
Sainter

Quote:
Over 160: Well I will explain, although I wont say It is my current practice. I used to drive at night, specifically on large 2000+km round trips, I would get up at 1 in the morning or so, and try for record times (yep thats bad of me...) It was one of those things you get past I suppose, and think back on with fond memories and of course think, that was a bit silly!
In the outback, Id always be going flatout, and at night I would discover the right ways to drive to have high speeds, yet be safe, and miss all the 24 hour police stations I know of :-) I did at least 30 2000km+ trips like this. Thats when I would get my super bad fuel economy. (and I havent done that in a few years now)
Lol, that sounds like something from Initial D.
Sainter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #29
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Does the way you treat a car driving wise, affect its value?

According to RedBook Yes, yes it does affect the price.

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au...p?key=HYUN01AA

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au...p?key=HYUN01CK

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au...p?key=HYUN01BY

I was unable to see from the pics the exact Model, so I listed the 3 models that are 3 door manuals, even the base Model goes for $6,300 - $8,400
Granted though you stated 250,000 Klms these prices are based on 80-130,000. But if a genuine highyway driver Klms are not that overly important.
I'll stick to pampering my car and driving carefully thanks.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #30
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
According to RedBook Yes, yes it does affect the price.
Can you point out where on those links it shows price variation on how the vehicle was driven?
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post