Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-06-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Multicoloured Dash...

With all the talk of LED lights, and dash globes replacing, etc, I may endevour on a new idea that just oocured to me.

A relativley new LED has been on the market for a while now. It's known as a RGB LED (Red green blue Light Emmiting Diode). One such exaple can be found here (http://www.ledsales.com.au/cart.php?...&substring=rgb) and catagory of them here (http://www.ledsales.com.au/cart.php?...category_id=11)

What about the idea of replacing all internal lighting to these LED's, then hooking them up to 3 potentiometers to mix the colours. These LED's have a seperate reg, green and blue LED in them, which can be mixed for most colours including white. So you could provide max current on each for all white lights, etc, etc....

What do you guys think?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Good idea, but lots of work. Let us know how it goes.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Good idea, but lots of work. Let us know how it goes.
My words too ..lol . Also, sounds very doable and would be a great effect .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
ziggee

i'm keen
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

It is very doable, but would there would be a fair bit of wiring & stuffing around. I have thought about it in the past, but its just to much work, maybe sometime in the future i will get around to it.
It would be a very nice mod to do, you could adjust your dash as you like, also you could do further interior mods, run LED's in the door handles, change footwell lights over etc, so that you could run them the same, and change them as you desire. If you get around to it make sure you do up a document on it with pics.

Cheers & goodluck.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Went to the can for a bit of a think over this. As much as it is a cool idea, I don't think that I'll be doing it... mainly due to all the stuffing around....good idea for someone else... adjustable mood lighting - lol

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Went to the can for a bit of a think over this. As much as it is a cool idea, I don't think that I'll be doing it... mainly due to all the stuffing around....good idea for someone else... adjustable mood lighting - lol
lol , it's something at the end of my mod list now too as i just recentlly only just changed ALL of the interior lights to blue led's , including the CFP lights, dash lights, t-bar light, elec window switch lights / the lot . Maybe when i get bored with the blue led's i'll consider it ..lol

Old 19-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
lol , it's something at the end of my mod list now too as i just recentlly only just changed ALL of the interior lights to blue led's , including the CFP lights, dash lights, t-bar light, elec window switch lights / the lot . Maybe when i get bored with the blue led's i'll consider it ..lol
did you do the Doorlock/TC/demister buttons etc???? if so, how? those lights are tiny.
Old 19-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
did you do the Doorlock/TC/demister buttons etc???? if so, how? those lights are tiny.
Yep , i used 3mm led's for these , allthough the demister button doesn't have a light / it lights off the cfp lights , the aircon button has a light though. I removed the globes from the original green plastic bases , then sorta applied the same theory to modifying these lights as the larger twist in dash lights..

I also found that the CFP needed an extra led on the left hand side to light it up propperly / evenlly , which was easy as there is allready a square hole notched out in the back of the centre face panel where you can mount a led to glow into , just power it off 1 of the other globe contacts next to it .

If your gonna mod the smaller lights , just untwist the old wiring from the globe holder and remove the globe , thread the legs of the led through the holes , mount the resistor on the rear of the base , then a bit of heatshrink over it , then use the rest of the + wire from the resistor and the - leg of the led to re-wrap around the grooves in the green plastic base (to make the contacts again ) .

Oh , which reminds me ! - Im not to happy with the clock and the odometer/dte lcd's using led's to light them . Because of the low beam angle of led's the clock seems mainly be lit around the centre more than the edges , im planning on adding another 2 led's to the clock to fully light it evenly , so all up the clock will have 3 led's ... same with the ODO/DTE lcd , lights up ok but needs more led's to spread the light evenly , which i will be adding to both soon .. This is why the left side of the CFP doesn't light up propperlly either with led's , and needs the extra led . The spacing of the dash lights and elec window switched seems to be fine with led's .

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 19-06-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 19-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
HLC
Audi S3

it seems we are talking about different lights here i think. cause of the different dash's something got lost in translation...
Old 19-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
it seems we are talking about different lights here i think. cause of the different dash's something got lost in translation...
oh , np.. sorry , i have the series 2 xr dash .