Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Pod vs panel filter for the quickest six?

So what flows better out of the two filters? What do the top 3 au six fords run. I believe Hamo ran a flat panel from memory and also tripower.This seems to go against the pro pod fans.

I have been of the belief that the panel does flow more than a pod.Can someone who runs a terrific time please mention what they are using ? Or any intake mods which really made a difference on a dyno or 1/4 mile. "It feels better" cannot account for measureable differences.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Spiro - it depends a lot on the size of the Pod. The ones that are as long as the are round are a restriction at higher flow needs (high rpm), but are OK for tootling around town. If you get a 3" neck pod and it's about a foot long, it will match or better a K&N or BMC Flat Panel for flow. This is what G&D use in their system.

Something like this:
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Look its all good to try and get the best performing air intake system but keeping the air clean has to cost a bit of pwer and i really dont believe there is a measurable difference on the qtr whatever intake you use. Hasn't stopped me trying and there was more difference between runs than there was with or without snorkle or airbox or any intake at all.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
xr8ute
Back on the road

I ran a 14.17 at 98.xx with a paper airfilter in my PBWAI.

How much air do you really need?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Pod Vs Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
So what flows better out of the two filters? What do the top 3 au six fords run. I believe Hamo ran a flat panel from memory and also tripower.This seems to go against the pro pod fans.

I have been of the belief that the panel does flow more than a pod.Can someone who runs a terrific time please mention what they are using ? Or any intake mods which really made a difference on a dyno or 1/4 mile. "It feels better" cannot account for measureable differences.
I remember reading a thread about a year ago or longer, : before aufalcon.com became part of the ford forums. In that thread your own tests witha g-tech revealed the pod was better than the panel filter in your car. What gives Stav?
Old 25-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Stav you are talking about 2/5ths of F all.....are you racing for $$ now ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
I remember reading a thread about a year ago or longer, : before aufalcon.com became part of the ford forums. In that thread your own tests witha g-tech revealed the pod was better than the panel filter in your car. What gives Stav?
The pod filter did get me slightly quicker in my tests yes .However looking at my pod filter in my standard airbox I am thinking that its too cramped for that little box.I think it may be restricted. Maybe I should build a bigger custom box? I am gonna write some plans on paper and get to bunnings for some sheet aluminium to build a new box.

Bluedriver 2/5 of f all is what I am chasing soon after wsid when the car is run as is. If it doesnt do better than a 15.19 then yes it is very important to me.A few of those is what adds up to cheap power improvement.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 25-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
However looking at my pod filter in my standard airbox I am thinking that its too cramped for that little box
I agree with you there Stav. There seems like hardly any room around the pods designed to work in the stock airbox (that was designed for a panel).

Assuming they are made of the same material, the first comparison between pod and panel, would be to compare the surface area of the filter.

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 25-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

I am using my vaccuum cleaner theory and applying this to cars.Since doing this understanding my cars engine has been much clearer. I am thinking that there must be a greater pressure drop of air trying to get sucked into a pod filter from 360 degrees where a flat panel filter would allow the air a much more direct path to enter the intake tube and more cfm

Old 25-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

The airbox for my pod is the size of my front bumper. It only cost 30 dollars from super cheap for the intake tubing and a 90mm hole straight through the bottom where the airbox used to be.. How much bigger do you need.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
buickman
buickman

The only thing I found was the induction noise was noticable & it appeared to pick up down below if you floored it better. Never got around to test it on the dyno to see if it produced better power to the wheels over a panel filter. I suppose I should have removed the air intake system when I sold the car so some one else could try it to see if there is any gain on a dyno over the panel filter on their car

buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
The airbox for my pod is the size of my front bumper. It only cost 30 dollars from super cheap for the intake tubing and a 90mm hole straight through the bottom where the airbox used to be.. How much bigger do you need.
Any pics?

Old 26-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this thread has come at good timing, as i was going to start a similar one myself, but i guess i could just ask the question here. i am looking to get a new filter, as mine is just the stock paper one. i have a standard motor, and the only change i have made so far is the tickford snorkle. would a pod do anything at all for me, or should i just stick with a panel? i was looking at K&N vs BMC, which do most people use?
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i purchased the tickford snorkel and a K&N panel filter
and noticed my car seemed smoother and a deeper note from the engine bay rather than a home vacume sound so to speak when under full throttle

then i cut a rectangle about the size of a business card out of the front of my airbox and i dont think it made much difference at all except it is a lil noiseyer induction just a little bit tho

and classicau
i think it depends how far you wish to go later
ie if you plan on going NUTS with the car get the G&D kit sooner rather than later
as there is no point in spending $100 odd on a filter then wanting to change it 6 months down the track to a pod or panel when the initial cost hasnt repayed for it self if that makes sense

good luck in your choice i think it is a much of a muchness but would like the G&D intake as it is fully tested
Old 26-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont think i will ever go any further than extractors and an exhaust with this car, and that most likely will not be for a while yet. what does the G&D kit consist of? is that a new air box as well? i doubt it would be of much use to me if my car is going to stay standard for a while though will it?
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #16
xr8ute
Back on the road

Yeah, G&D kit is a full custom airbox w/pod.

Unless you plan on going for a custom airbox, I recommend sticking with a panel filter. Paper works well, just dont forget to change it at each oil change ;)

Old 26-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Do G&D make ones with springs for LPG ... don't exactly want to blow apart a very expensive airbox.
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Do G&D make ones with springs for LPG ... don't exactly want to blow apart a very expensive airbox.
It's not actually an airbox, but a Pod filter with a great big cover that looks like a box. The cover is totally open at the front though. So if you have a balance pipe, the G&D setup is probably no good.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Ahhhh ... may as well just stick with the standard setup with Redline panel filter in it ... it does the job

I'll just change the pipe between the throttle body and the airbox.
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

Well I am sticking to my pod after all that. It seems to me that for some strange reason the car pulls harder down low with the pod.Much harder.

Old 26-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #21
buickman
buickman

I did notice it pulled harder down low with the pod filter but did not get any proof if it gained any better rwkw
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #22
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Any pics?

I've been meaning to do one on my car in the workshop builds so maybe by the weekend i'll have full pics of the new wheels, ride hieght , gas set up, custom intake behind bumper etc.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I did notice it pulled harder down low with the pod filter but did not get any proof if it gained any better rwkw
A pod certainly gives more torque down low.The panel filter felt very strong up top but the pod seemed to link low to high power.