Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
NewCarGuy
Starter Motor

Default '03+ XR6 a good choice?

I've been looking around for a new (to me) car for ages now and after originally looking for a decent small-ish car (difficult) I've found it much easier to find a larger car that meets all of the criteria I'm after:

* smaller than my current car, a Mitsubishi Verada
* uses less petrol than my current car, a horrible 20L/100km in town by my own calculations
* at least as comfortable as the Verada
* four seats
* four doors
* FUN!

I'm also surprised at how easy it is to find a newish XR6 (2003+) with low km's and a decent price tag, even from a Ford dealer.

So, is the XR6 a decent choice or is there another car I should be looking at? I've looked at Suburu Impreza's but I just can't bring myself to like them.

My main concern at the moment is the reliability problems that might pop up with a BA XR6.

Price-wise: my upper limit is $28k with most of the XR6's coming in considerably less than that (23k+).

Apologies if this is the wrong section for this post. It seemed like the most likely to me.

Oh! and hi!

NewCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The thing with the Falcons is ... repairing and servicing is relatively cheap on them.
Parts are plentiful ... and aftermarket support is also plentiful as well.

For similar money you could look at the Fairmont as well with some nice extra ... even the Fairmont GHIA too.

Some people have had issues (and these are the ones that are posted on the forums) ... but there is excellent information here on what the solutions are to these problems too.

What you don't read on the forums are the users that have no problems at all ... as they have no issues to report ... and I think you will find they far outweigh the people/vehicles that have the problems.

Happy car hunting ... there's a plentiful supply of relatively new Falcons out there ... with low prices ... it's a 2nd hand car buyers market at the moment with the way depreciation is.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

I think you will get a little bit of bias here
But the Falcon has always been a good value car, and car of that age will have depreciated a fair bit from new, so there are some bargains out there.

You will be pleased with a falcon of any type, esspecially after steping out of a verada.
Just do the usual checks before buying a used car and hopefully you should have many years of happy motoring.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
NewCarGuy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Just do the usual checks before buying a used car and hopefully you should have many years of happy motoring.
Ummm, well, never having had the opportunity to purchase a car personally, what exactly are the usual checks
Old 20-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The later Veradas are a nice vehicle inside ... but the mechanicals were a little on the expensive side when it came to things like changing spark plugs ... and timing belt changes and the like ... also CV Joints and front driveshaft replacements were a common thing ... and can be a PITA to replace.

Thankfully though ... the Falcon is a little more straight-forward when it came to servicing *phew*.
Old 20-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

XR6 is a great allround car, good looks and performance and should use around 12 to 13 litres per 100klm around town if your easy on the go pedal.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
XRchic
Hello

Hi mate, welcome to the forums by the way.

I have an 03 XR6 NA. Are you looking for an auto or a manual?

I havent had any significant mechanical dramas with mine. Its done 80 000km and it still drives almost like new. I had some initial issues, such as with paint, when it was first delivered but it was sorted out.

I have probably had the usual minor things, such as brake shudder, steering creaking, dodgy clutches (I am pretty hard on it though), water pump o-ring leaking, 5th gear synchro. All fixed under warranty.

Im happy with it actually, and I have done a few things to it and plan more. One of these is probably not a bad pick up for $23K really, especially if it has a few options.

Try and get one with premium audio - its better than the regular sound and the coloured screen look way better IMO. Some people may not agree.

Just look out for:

- brake shudder
- steering creak
- slipping clutch (if manual)
- handbrake slackness
- paint defects

Much of this will depend on whether it is under warranty or not, as to whether you make the decision to buy it. Would be nice for you to pick up an LSD one too.

Generally, look at the condition of the tyres and wear pattern. Look under the rear guard to see if there is rubber under there. Check the wheels for scratches and the engine bay for cleanliness and wear on hoses etc.

Make sure you drive whatever you are thinking of buying! And a decent drive.

Hope this helps.

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The thing with the Falcons is ... repairing and servicing is relatively cheap on them.
Parts are plentiful ... and aftermarket support is also plentiful as well.

Some people have had issues (and these are the ones that are posted on the forums) ... but there is excellent information here on what the solutions are to these problems too.

What you don't read on the forums are the users that have no problems at all ... as they have no issues to report ... and I think you will find they far outweigh the people/vehicles that have the problems.
To the (original poster #1) What Mechan1k says is very true what you dont read as much on the forums is people that are happy BA owners. If I read the "What problems you had with your BA" before I bought mine last October 2005 I probally wouldnt have. How I would have missed out on a great car that meets all you critera except for perhaps being smaller than your Vereda. Read post 645 to 648 on the thread I mentioned for a little peak of BA owners that are my than happy. Can I ask what year your Vereda is? 20L/100 even peak hour seems very high.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

The 3.5L V6 economy went down hill near the 100,000km mark ... my Mum's TJ VRX did the same ... even for the manual ... as the rear platinum spark plugs really started to break down and caused poor performance and excess fuel usage.

The cost of changing these plugs can be astronomical ... as you literally have to remove the intake plenum to get to the 3 rear spark plugs on these motors .... literally not room between the rear of the engine and the firewall as well.
Old 20-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
NewCarGuy
Starter Motor

Quote:
How I would have missed out on a great car that meets all you critera except for perhaps being smaller than your Vereda
Actually, it it a bit smaller. It's noticibly less wide, and may very well be a touch shorter.

The Verada is a 1998 3.5ei (if I recall right). The 20L/100km was determined by me (because it isn't listed in the manual) by getting the tank size (71L) from the manual, getting the average distance I can do on a full tank (~250km) and doing something that I forget to those numbers...

Quote:
Are you looking for an auto or a manual?
Manual, definitely a manual.
Old 20-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

For 28,000 you will get a Late 05 Mark II With under 15,000 kms.

Id try and get a BF for around the 28 - 29 mark with the six speed auto, or buy a brand new SR for 30.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Here is a mileage calculator, it's handy.

http://www.accommodationz.co.nz/economycalculator.html
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
NewCarGuy
Starter Motor

Thanks! Based on that calculator I was a bit off. It's actually about 28L/100km.
Old 20-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If you do choose the XR try to get one with a build date after Oct 03. Smaller % of problems.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #15
NewCarGuy
Starter Motor

Thanks for the tip. Where/how do I find out the build date?
Old 20-07-2006, 07:32 PM   #16
Scott

Build date will be in the manual & on the comliance tag. I had a MkI NA XR6 and have to say that apart from the brakes & the awful 4spd, it was a great car. Whole lot of handling, perhaps too much for the engine.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #17
NewCarGuy
Starter Motor

Ok, thanks. I'll have to make myself a little check list from the suggestions here it seems.
Old 20-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #18
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just let you know Rebel Ford in Adelaide has a manual 2005 XR6 advertised at present (ex Ford exec) 10096 km Showckwave with premo sound & reverse sensors $29880. Pity it doesnt say it its an early BF or last of BA Mk IIs. Im sure you could talk em down. A little less choice avalaible as you want manual. I love shockwave (but im biased)
If you wanted auto (i would have suggested you look at Fantz's in 4sale section) ZF 6 speed.

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Old 20-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #19
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarGuy
* smaller than my current car, a Mitsubishi Verada
Um, am I going to be the first to drop the penny that the BA XR6 is a bigger car than the Mitsubishi Verada?
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #20
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Um, am I going to be the first to drop the penny that the BA XR6 is a bigger car than the Mitsubishi Verada?
I brought this up in my post & this is the reply i recvd

Quote:
Actually, it it a bit smaller. It's noticibly less wide, and may very well be a touch shorter.

Quote:
Old 20-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #21
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

You have to remember that with a car of this age and type, it has been sold by the original owner for only a couple of reasons.

Either they are the type of person who wants the latest and greatest car, so they trade up.
Or they dumped a lemon of a car onto an unsuspecting dealer, who will flog it off to an unsuspecting buyer.

Although rare, there have been some people who have bought an XR and had nothing but problems, and ford dont wanna know about it. So they sell the car. Which is why I said you have to do the usual checks.

Even though it may be a near new car, it could be far from perfect. The things XRChic listed would be a good place to start with your checks.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #22
NewCarGuy
Starter Motor

Quote:
It was one of the things I checked when I went to the dealers yesterday. It's less wide at the very least.

Quote:
Im sure you could talk em down. A little less choice avalaible as you want manual.
a *lot* less. But I'm in no hurry.
Old 21-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #23
Juzdin
Starter Motor

Quote:
The 3.5L V6 economy went down hill near the 100,000km mark ... my Mum's TJ VRX did the same ... even for the manual ... as the rear platinum spark plugs really started to break down and caused poor performance and excess fuel usage.

The cost of changing these plugs can be astronomical ... as you literally have to remove the intake plenum to get to the 3 rear spark plugs on these motors .... literally not room between the rear of the engine and the firewall as well.
This is my first post here so hi. My parents have a TJ magna and my brother the 2001 verada. As such from experience you need to get the major service done at 100,000kms. That is why you are getting the fall in performance etc. My brother just got it done and he reckons it drives heaps better. At this service they do the plugs, oil, timing belt, reprogram transmission, etc. It is very expensive at around $700 but you also get alot done for that price (seeing that you get platinum plugs and the timing belt.) Without keeping it serviced performance and fuel usage are going to fall.

Also 28 litres or even 20 litres per 100km is very very high. I had an ea that did under 20 and my brothers verada does 10 - 12 litres per 100kms. In conclusion I guess what I'm saying is that the major service at 100,000kms is a must if you want it to run properly.
Juzdin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #24
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Just bought my lease car, BA xr6 5speed n/a for $16000
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #25
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Just bought my lease car, BA xr6 5speed n/a for $16000
Bargain.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #26
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seriously doubt the XR6 is going to be better on fuel than your Verada - to me it just sounds like your verada needs a tuneup or a new air flow metre.

I used to own a BA XR6 and best I could get was 12.5L/100km in mixed mode commuting going very easy on the accelerator. I mean this is OK for a large car but just dont expect it to have amazingly superior economy. You also mentioned the cheap price - this is due to the poor resale. But if you are buying 3 years old then not such an issue for you.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #27
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I seriously doubt the XR6 is going to be better on fuel than your Verada - to me it just sounds like your verada needs a tuneup or a new air flow metre.

I used to own a BA XR6 and best I could get was 12.5L/100km in mixed mode commuting going very easy on the accelerator. I mean this is OK for a large car but just dont expect it to have amazingly superior economy. You also mentioned the cheap price - this is due to the poor resale. But if you are buying 3 years old then not such an issue for you.
12.5 with mixed commuting is not too bad at all.

I would imagine the Magna needed a really good tune to sort those kinds of fuel consumption issues out! That is terrible. How heavy are they? I assume its an auto? Manuals in anything use less fuel.

The BA wont be really good on fuel until you get it tuned.

Old 21-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #28
Juzdin
Starter Motor

Like I said before it should use between 10 - 12litres per 100kms when its running properly.

They are better on fuel than a BA XR6. Although the XR6 looks better.
Juzdin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #29
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It was one of the things I checked when I went to the dealers yesterday. It's less wide at the very least.
Quote:
Wrong.

The Verada (Magna) is a smaller car than the Falcon. A 1998 (or any model) Verada is considerably smaller than a BA XR6 in width and length. They are both roughly the same height.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #30
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Wrong.

The Verada (Magna) is a smaller car than the Falcon. A 1998 (or any model) Verada is considerably smaller than a BA XR6 in width and length. They are both roughly the same height.
Thats what I would have thought too.

Someone call Steffo for the exact dimensions??? LOL