Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Boss 290

Default bf2 power and specs

hey i was just wondering if anybody has any news on bf2 : pictures or specs and where did you get the information?....it feels like weeks ago when i heard that ford would be realesing more news on it in....im really looking forward to hear more about fpv..im hoping they will release a modified ghia for orion but that is way off from bf2....thanks

Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Boss 290

i guess everyone is just waiting like i am
Old 04-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a thread title like that, a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they click on it to find there aren't any details :( You had me all excited there for a second :P
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

There is not much change in the BF2. It is basically all cosmetic. FPV are keeping very quiet about their model changes though. What I do know is that Ford are releasing a fairmont ghia with the boss 260 which obviously has the 'power bulge', and fairmont ghia with the I6 turbo 270. These models are due to be released with the BF2.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
With a thread title like that, a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they click on it to find there aren't any details :( You had me all excited there for a second :P
I was the same...

Figured he had some news for us...
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
There is not much change in the BF2. It is basically all cosmetic. FPV are keeping very quiet about their model changes though. What I do know is that Ford are releasing a fairmont ghia with the boss 260 which obviously has the 'power bulge', and fairmont ghia with the I6 turbo 270. These models are due to be released with the BF2.
Ive heard the same, but minus the 260 bit, thats news to me.

BF2 is just a freshen up, and I dont think the 6 cylinders need anymore power anyway.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Kind of close there, but Ford/FPV are releasing two new models, appartently called Force6 and Force8. Yes, they will be based on the Fairmont ghia and will have the two FPV motors, BOSS290 and Turbo270.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I like the idea of the Force 6, but how does a Fairmont Ghia differ from a GT-P in terms of luxury anyway?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

There isnt much difference is there. I guess they are aiming for the people who want the performance of a GT but also want the style of the fairmont ghia. Its good that Ford are finally looking at what everyone wants and giving us more options.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

^^^yeap I agree. I wonder if our constant crying made any difference.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
Kind of close there, but Ford/FPV are releasing two new models, appartently called Force6 and Force8. Yes, they will be based on the Fairmont ghia and will have the two FPV motors, BOSS290 and Turbo270.
I've been told this aswell by 3 different dealerships...
Old 04-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Damnit, wheres the overhaul for the XR8?? Wish they would put the 290 in that...push the GT to 300...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

260 Kw verse 270kw.. Now the ford and holdens are the same weight not really a big call for a massive increase in power..

Verse the 230kw Fairmont Ghia verse the 270Kw Calais V.. Now theres a area where fords lagging. The V8 Ghia is nearly 2 seconds slower to 100!..

GT-P I belive was still just a dressed up XT. Ghia gets memory power seat(early GT-P's didn't have a power seat at all), memory mirrors with auto reverse dip, memory peddles, more NVH protection (boot lining eg), auto dimming mirror, premium audio standard (i think GT-P always had it), soft seatbacks, reverse sensors, dual climate, etc etc.

It gives XR8 owners something to concider trading to depending on its price.

Not much mentioned about LWB either.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Ford was convinced back in 2004 that there is absolutely no way anyone would buy a Ghia with that kind of power.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

A turbo fairmont ghia, i think i know what i want for my next car.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 PM   #15
Boss 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
lol my aim was to get everyone to see it and click on it and when they realised that i had no further knowledge mabey they had some atleast to keep me updated because i knew nothing at all...270 ghia? i duno that would be bad for resale of the typhoons unless 270 was the standard v8 and the fpv's had 300 plus.....like ss has the same as the calais mabey...thanks to everyone who has added to the thread the news is good to hear of...but when is bf due?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #16
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

But the Turbo Ghia would be in a pretty expensive segment.

Your talking around the $60,000 level atleast.

My guess FPV are looking at jumping up to orion powerlevels. They have been really quiet.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Id say we will see a jump for all the BF II V8's, the only one thats had a increase since 02 is the 220 - 230.

Id say the XR8 will go to 280 and the GT will go to 310, it wouldnt be hard to get the extra power out of them and they will definately need it with the numbers the VEs are pulling.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Id say we will see a jump for all the BF II V8's, the only one thats had a increase since 02 is the 220 - 230.

Id say the XR8 will go to 280 and the GT will go to 310, it wouldnt be hard to get the extra power out of them and they will definately need it with the numbers the VEs are pulling.
Yeh i think the Boss V8's should get a tweak, Someone said that the Force 6 and 8 engines are just fairmont based FPV's with the 290/270 engines... pretty lame if u ask me, i wanted superchargers lol, but maybe this is a sign that FPV will increase the GT/P power since they wouldnt want the GT/P to have the same power as a FPV fairmont?
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I dont get it.

GTP is basically an FPV Fairmont.

I think the Force 6 / 8 will have subtle body kits, no wings, 19 inch wheels and perhaps and more luxury interior??

I think they are running out of used parts tho, it seems as though everything they have brought out since BA has been pulled off one model and chucked on another?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #20
McobraR
me may my mo

totally agree, maybe they're spending more of their resources on the Orion.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #21
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
I dont get it.

GTP is basically an FPV Fairmont.

I think the Force 6 / 8 will have subtle body kits, no wings, 19 inch wheels and perhaps and more luxury interior??

I think they are running out of used parts tho, it seems as though everything they have brought out since BA has been pulled off one model and chucked on another?
I think some peoples expectations are a tad high, it really hasn't been out for that long.

Ive got the million dollar question: Well the Force 6 and 8 have a manual option?

It better. Hmmm turbo ghia manual - hello!
:
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #22
james22
With da Warlords

My parents have just ordered the new BF MKII ghia, that comes out in october this year. Be delivered to the door in about 6 weeks. Beautiful car, trading the old 98 series 1 xr6 in for it

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're all assuming Fairmont Ghia buyers are interested in all out performance, personally i can't really see why it needs the Boss 260, the 230 is good enough.
If you're shopping for a Ghia you're shopping for refinement and luxury, performance would be secondary otherwise the XR8 or GT-P offer similar options with the extra go.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #24
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You're all assuming Fairmont Ghia buyers are interested in all out performance, personally i can't really see why it needs the Boss 260, the 230 is good enough.
If you're shopping for a Ghia you're shopping for refinement and luxury, performance would be secondary otherwise the XR8 or GT-P offer similar options with the extra go.
No. Disagree 100%

Just because you like luxury doesn't mean you're happy with a second rung engine.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
No. Disagree 100%

Just because you like luxury doesn't mean you're happy with a second rung engine.
What does that mean? the 230 isnt a second rung engine, its the same family of motors as the Boss. Fairmont ghia is all about luxury and refinement, softer more comfortable suspension etc, in essence its a "SWB fairlane", or luxury "executive package" car, i can't see how offerenig the 260 in the Ghia is going to get them any more sales, but you never know.
By the sounds of it Force 6 and 8 are going to be "performance Fairmont Ghias" anyway, why double up?

Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #26
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

But they will be FPV branded, not Ford.

Obviously they are going after the Senator niche with these models.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
But they will be FPV branded, not Ford.

Obviously they are going after the Senator niche with these models.
Ok, true, you might have a point there, maybe Ford are will bring out the 6T and 260 Ghia is to combat the Force 6/8...
It will be interesting to see if Ford take on FPV with the new 2008 XR8 the way Holden have agressively taken on HSV with the SS-V...

Old 05-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
What does that mean? the 230 isnt a second rung engine, its the same family of motors as the Boss. Fairmont ghia is all about luxury and refinement, softer more comfortable suspension etc, in essence its a "SWB fairlane", or luxury "executive package" car, i can't see how offerenig the 260 in the Ghia is going to get them any more sales, but you never know.
By the sounds of it Force 6 and 8 are going to be "performance Fairmont Ghias" anyway, why double up?

Yes but in comparison to the Calais etc the 230 V8 is a second rung engine.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but in comparison to the Calais etc the 230 V8 is a second rung engine.
How does the fuel economy of the Calais compare to a 230 Ghia?

Old 05-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what does fuel consumption have to do with buying a luxury V8.

Fuel consumption means **** all to this market im sorry!

If people buying these sorts of cars were concerned about fuel consumption they buy a 6 cylinder!