Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Default Good Karma on the Roads

A lot has been said about the awful things people do on the roads, but what about the good? What are some of the nice things others have done for you on the road?

I had broken down in a turn lane shortly after I first had my licence. I did the right thing, put on the hazards, lifted the bonnet, and then sat and frantically called some friends living locally to come and help me as I was only around the corner from home. I tried very hard to ignore the taxi behind me leaning on his horn.

Suddenly a van pulled out from behind the taxi and shot in front of me. Out stepped this huger islander fellow, and I thought "I'm gone, or the car is gone." First of all he bailed up the taxi and told him to shove off in no uncertain terms. Then he came and asked if he could be of assistance, as he was a mechanic for the local Toyota dealer. I just nodded, he stuck his head under the bonnet, had a fiddle, and shoved some sort of hose back on that had broken it's clamp. He wished me a good day, and off he went! I was very relieved, and it returned some of my faith in human nature.

Any others out there to be told?

iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
McobraR
me may my mo

Well that explains why toyota services are always good... they got good mechanics that know how to find and fix a problem.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
max
LWBforME

A couple of years ago I'm driving the 'Lane to work and the dizzy let go. 8:50 am Monday, hot day, intersection of Henley Beach & South Roads (friggin' busy one) I'm prepared to flick on the hazards there on the spot and dial the RAA on my mobile. Next thing, no less than 6 guys converge on my car offering to push it somewhere clear of the intersection. These guys were TOUGH and some of Mediterranean appearance. But they wanted only to be helpful and succeeded in rolling me (dodging a lot of traffic) about 200 metres around the corner safely into a side street, where I could ring the RAA and wait out of harms way. I said thanks heaps fellas, they said no sweat mate and off they went. I thought that was pretty damn cool. God knows where they materialised from, but I was impressed with their readiness to spring into action to help out. Few people at that time of day, in that kind of situation could be just hanging about on a street corner waiting to be a good samaritan.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

I pushed a lovely lady off the road earlier this week.

Clifton Hill merge in Melbourne. Pulled up behind her, flicked the hazards and hopped out and told her to get back in and steer. A bloke in a truck to the left of me blocked two lanes and helped push. She was off the road and somewhere safe in a matter of seconds.

A few years ago I also passed a family (incl baby) with broken down car, I couldn't stop, so I continued my journey. On my return (about 30 mins later) I noticed they were still there. It was a hot day 40+, so I continued on to the servo (5km) picked up loads of chilled water and headed on back to them. I stopped up behind them (to block a lane for safety) and handed them all the chilled water. They said help was on the way (which I knew would be the case). I think the dog was pretty happy to see the water (had some old ice cream containers in the boot). It probably cost me about $10 and some time, but I'm sure they'll return the favour to another motorist.
Old 20-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Simmo
White Lightning

i've never had the chance to help anyone who's been stranded, but i am pedantic about letting people merge. i really enjoy whizzing through the gaps in traffic but when i'm putting around normally i'll let everyone in front of me. i kind of feel like i'm paying back the karma for taking all the gaps in peak hour traffic.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier
I pushed a lovely lady off the road earlier this week.

Clifton Hill merge in Melbourne. Pulled up behind her, flicked the hazards and hopped out and told her to get back in and steer. A bloke in a truck to the left of me blocked two lanes and helped push. She was off the road and somewhere safe in a matter of seconds.

A few years ago I also passed a family (incl baby) with broken down car, I couldn't stop, so I continued my journey. On my return (about 30 mins later) I noticed they were still there. It was a hot day 40+, so I continued on to the servo (5km) picked up loads of chilled water and headed on back to them. I stopped up behind them (to block a lane for safety) and handed them all the chilled water. They said help was on the way (which I knew would be the case). I think the dog was pretty happy to see the water (had some old ice cream containers in the boot). It probably cost me about $10 and some time, but I'm sure they'll return the favour to another motorist.
That's the spirit! Paying forward! No joke, in the midst of all sorts of argy-bargy about what good old Aussie values are, it sure as heck feels better to act out something positive and good than agro and selfishness. I'm sure what goes around comes around.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat

I tried very hard to ignore the taxi behind me leaning on his horn.
Sometimes Taxi drivers can be real D1cks. Not starting a bagging, but I remember one just blidnly trying to merge over the top of me.

Back on topic, I stopped an helped a fellow out who had run out of juice on the Eastern the other day. Took him to a local servo, got juice and took him back to his vehicle.

Total cost to me, $2 in fuel, 20 mins in Time, but satisfaction outta helping someone was priceless.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

I gave a "thankyou wave" once
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
V8R
Turning towards the dark

i tend to let ppl into gaps when driving around in peak hrs. i know how much of a bastard it is when youre trying to merge in and no bastard will let you into the flow.
I always slow to check on other motorists stopped beside the road out here (country roads), my assistance has never been required, but hey, you dunno if you dont stop
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Sometimes Taxi drivers can be real D1cks. Not starting a bagging, but I remember one just blidnly trying to merge over the top of me.
Don't get me started on them!! lol. And not only driving skills.. Let's just say if I was a father with a young adult/teen daughter I wouldn't let her catch a taxi home.

I've never being in a situation to help out on the road, but always willing. A few years ago me and dad blew the tire out on a trailer with the motorbikes on it.. About 5 guys from the house across the street came out, gave us a spare and helped put it on. We returned with some beer later to say thanks =)
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going back a few years on Gordon st Footscray, Geelong bound next to the Western oval a notorious spot for flooding after heavy rain. I came across a fellow in a laser or similar who had stalled in the middle of the flooded section, water was approx 1/3 way up his doors. Luckily i had my spare mounted on the bull bar, as i was able to gently push him clear.
He told me that he was really starting to get worried as he had seen it much higher than it was that day.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post