Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Japanese V8's

Well people after reading about beetus wanting peoples opinions on the much revered Toyota/Lexus 1UZ-FE i thought i would post a thread on another similiar engine, but from a different stable which i am mad keen on. It is a Nissan V8 and it comes in 2 variations. 4.1(VH41) or 4.5(VH45) litre capacities. Originally released in the Infiniti Q45 luxury car which made it's way only to America and also fitted to Nissan Leopards in Japan. Now, what makes this engine so cool is it's make up from the factory. Internals such as forged piston, forged rods, forged steel crank and sodium filled valves, and this was released in 1989!!. It also has 6 bolt mains as per the 1UZ but the block and rotating assembly are much more robust. For instance, NIZPRO fettled one which made its way into a ski race boat. It did have custom inlet manifolds made and aftermarket valve springs fitted. With all other supporting hardware there have been mutters of this thing making in the vicinity of 1000 hp on the standard bottom end. Keep in mind being a race boat(or any boat) it only has 1 gear and it is held around the 7500 mark for 15 mins at a time. In NZ they are into these things pretty heavy! Some dirt track classes only allow certain capacity and carbies. Enter the VH45, with custom inlet and holley's mounted on top these are said to make 500+hp. Also have read of one guy stroking the smaller, later model VH41 to 6.0 litres, has 8 throttle bodies, runs on methanol and makes a whopping 830hp!!
Well i have got it out. Some of you may be interested and some not so i'll leave you a photo and a couple of links. Please take note of the main cap arrangement in the photo, FACTORY.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum/193
www.nissanv8.com

Old 06-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I think Nizpro are using a VQ45 TT in their boat as well ... but I could be wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7O9a9KBKfk
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah it's VH45. The VQ45 is there Infiniti model it came out of, so i guess either way works. Apparently they are building a 6.0 stroker for the boat now. Nissan also make a cast iron block V8 with 2 capacities, the VK45 and the VK56. Remember the R390 race car from Gran Turismo? the engine in that is based on the VH engine but destroked to 3.5 litres and twin turbo. But that boat! how awesome does it sound. There is a link somewhere that lets you play it in media player. I put it dvd and show all my friends when they come over and they are blown away by it.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I had the file on PC somewhere ... might see if i can upload it somewhere.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
xwgasaxe
under new management

As much as it hurts to say it A VH45 with two turbos would be a pretty light and cheap fitment in place of the 30year old clevo.

Aim HERE!!! $$
Old 06-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well considering you can pick an engine up for around the $1000 mark it makes some sense. Apparently a VH 45 weighs only 220kg without exhaust manifolds. I have been contemplating putting one in my cortina, but they are a front sump and the cortina crossmember will most likely foul it. I could go a custom sump and pick up but... What i would like to do is maybe an R31 built along pro street lines with front runners and fatties and twin turbo's.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK-383
Please take note of the main cap arrangement in the photo, FACTORY.
Similar setup to the Gen3 and Gen4 GM V8s.

Six bolts, two of which are cross-bolts.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
Similar setup to the Gen3 and Gen4 GM V8s.

Six bolts, two of which are cross-bolts.
All 5 main caps are 1 peice, creating a girdle. Near on bullet proof.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
nb_351
building the xe...

now why cant i work on them? nothing even close to that from nissan australia over here... except rumours of the gtr using one of thier bent 8s... dont even know if we will see them here...
going on their vq v6 motor, in the maxima etc, it would be one of if not the best generally available motors around...
might put one in the xe... at least i could source parts for it lol... how nice does that boat sound?
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen the boat your talking about race a few times, it's called orsome, 21 foot force hull with a outboard leg. It runs in the 8L class as your allowed a naturally aspirated engine up to 8L or you can have a 1.6L alowance for a turbo so with 4.5L and 3.2L for the twin turbos it scrapes in. Interestingly it's the only boat in the class running turbos but the way it's going i would expect we will see more in the future. What i would really like to see is a boat with a 1200hp Nizpro XR6 turbo motor running in 6L. Now that would be impressive.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of nissans earlier V8's have been nice too.. very smooth and for their capacity, not too bad on factory power. I refer to the Y series (Y44) 4.4Ltr Alloy V8, of which i beleive there were injected versions made.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

There were a few Infini V8 (something like 8) sold here in the early 90's. You can actually order parts for these engines from Nissan Australia.

Nissan has made some fantastic engines. They have made some pretty shocking ones too (Pintara or Tiida engines for example). But anything special (RB series, VH series) is all super sexy magic.

I would rank the performance nissan stuff over all the other jap manufacturers. Certainly off road the Patrol is usually ranked as rugged or more so than the Toyotas.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
1600GT

as posted earlier, the race boat in question is 4.5lt. the 2 turbo's equalise the capacity. i know the boat well
btw, there is another one on the way too. but this one is a 'social/family' boat.... serious!
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post