Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Hot day + long drive = no power...

After a long drive on Friday from Ballarat to Phillip Island my car decided that it was a powerless pig. I filled up at Mobil on the ring road with their 8000 fuel and all was fine until I gave it a bootfull just before I got to the Island. All it would do was hold gears and make a lot of noise but just had no balls, to the point where it struggled to make it to the top of the rev range. As soon as the weather cooled down it came good but the next day it happened again, this time after only half an hour or so. I drove to Dromana and filled up again with BP ultimate and all was good again, when I opened the fuel cap it seemed to have a LOT of pressure built up. Went well until today when I filled up on Ultimate again on Stud road, not as bad but still very noticeable. WTF is going on, it's obvioulsy a fuel issue but why so intermittent? Are the servos using a blend that is not intended for such hot weather or is it just my car really not liking the ambient temparature? And before anyone says that cars don't make as much power on hot days, I know that but this is way too much power loss to be normal. Any help would be appreciated.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Russell , Its just the Unichip in the car , Give it to me and it will be fixed ..

and if you need a Hand , Get whoosha to do it !

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Russell , Its just the Unichip in the car , Give it to me and it will be fixed ..

Do you ever post anything useful or related to the issue?

My car suffers from this a bit too, when I take the fuel cap off a big burst of pressure comes out.
Old 18-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

If you just take the cap off and put it back on does the issue resolve itself or is it still there?
Tech Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Trainer
If you just take the cap off and put it back on does the issue resolve itself or is it still there?
mine will only do it once then its fine, just a pressure release. not something that really worries me but it definitely does affect its performance i find.
Old 18-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Mine has the pressure build up which is normal to some extent. With the car being so gutless im going to say its something in the tune, how hot was it when it was tuned? But could have just been a bad batch of fuel, i only fill mine with BP ultimate and use a servo next to my house which has a lot of turn around so the fuel is always fresh.

I'd be talking to G&D and see what they think. It may be nothing but defenantly doesnt like the hot air. Was she pinging?

Shaun

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Makes it better but the issue is still there
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeishaXR8_347
Mine has the pressure build up which is normal to some extent. With the car being so gutless im going to say its something in the tune, how hot was it when it was tuned? But could have just been a bad batch of fuel, i only fill mine with BP ultimate and use a servo next to my house which has a lot of turn around so the fuel is always fresh.

I'd be talking to G&D and see what they think. It may be nothing

Shaun
The thing is is was 32 degrees when it was tuned. I thought it was just a bad batch of fuel but could I be unlucky enough to get two bad tanks in three days from to seperate companies? I'll call G&D and have a chat to Matt in the morning, after I get my new tyres : .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2NOPWR

You're probably right Dan, and you will get my Unichip once I get my Edit and you're money. lol :
Old 18-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
AUTickford
XD197

Whats the go with stressing out about a bit of pressure isnt it normal to hear a little psssh when the caps taken off, how would that effect the performance?
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
Whats the go with stressing out about a bit of pressure isnt it normal to hear a little psssh when the caps taken off, how would that effect the performance?
A little pressure release is normal but this isn't just a little bit, it's a lot as I said. I'm also not stressing, I just don't like it when my Stroked AU XR8 can be beaten by a bloody stocko 6.
Old 18-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Do you ever post anything useful or related to the issue?
Sorry , Didnt Know joking with mates was Banned on your forums ..

:evil3: Russ , did you change your Fuel Collectors Over ? That one you Picked up last night might have really Bad Stale fuel in it , or Dirt n stuff ..

Old 18-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Sorry , Didnt Know joking with mates was Banned on your forums ..

:evil3: Russ , did you change your Fuel Collectors Over ? That one you Picked up last night might have really Bad Stale fuel in it , or Dirt n stuff ..
That one that I picked up last night was the stocko fuel pump. I forgot to pick it up last time I was at G&D so I got Whoosha to do it for me.
Old 18-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Was the car pinging at all when it was running poorly? Being tuned on a 32deg day is fairly good and should stay consistant. I just hope its not a re-curing problem that has existed from before when the 5L went and it is showing its head again.

Old 18-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Was the car pinging at all when it was running poorly? Being tuned on a 32deg day is fairly good and should stay consistant. I just hope its not a re-curing problem that has existed from before when the 5L went and it is showing its head again.
No pinging at all. It revs cleanly but just a lot slower than usual : . The only thing I can think of is the Unichip.
Old 18-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I had the same problem with the festiva, it was the air con idler switch apparently. well whatever adjusts the engine when the aircon is on. (it was faulty / dirty i cant remember)

On a 40 degree day the air con up full bore and the engine was just dead...

Perhaps this is you issue??? was the air con on during this time???
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #15
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
No pinging at all. It revs cleanly but just a lot slower than usual : . The only thing I can think of is the Unichip.
Lets hope its just the Uni then, Look at all the issues that Austin (B2TF) was having with his. Keep saving and the edit will come soon enough. But defenantly speak to G&D and see what they think of this problem.

Old 18-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Lets hope its just the Uni then, Look at all the issues that Austin (B2TF) was having with his. Keep saving and the edit will come soon enough. But defenantly speak to G&D and see what they think of this problem.
I spoke to Matt on Friday and he thought ambient temp was the problem. It doesn't help that I need bigger injectors and that the Unichip just doesn't have the capabilities to tune the stroker either. Ahh well the Edit will fix all, if I ever get the money for it. Bloody melting tyres... :
Old 18-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Lets hope its just the Uni then, Look at all the issues that Austin (B2TF) was having with his.
out: Unichip out:
Old 18-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #18
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

Now the thing is here when you release the cap you hear rushing air. Is the air escaping from inside the tank or is it trying to fill a void created by a vacuum?

If it is the later I would suggest you have a look at your canister purge valve and make sure it is operating correctly.

The part that interests me is that if you pressurise a fuel tank it should not produce fuel starve, however if you create a vacuum in the tank it will work against the draw of the fuel pump.

Let me know how you go with this one please guys.
Old 18-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #19
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

Just wondering when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

What sort of fuel pump are you running?
Old 18-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Just wondering when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

What sort of fuel pump are you running?
Fuel filter I'm not sure about but the pump is a Walbro 255. With the pressure I'm not sure but I don't feel air on my hand coming out so it could be vaccuum.
Old 19-02-2007, 12:02 AM   #21
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Get Matt to Look at it , Might Just be the fuel you used , but still be safer than Sorry Russ ,

Whooshas Sons car had a bit of a Bad Run , the AU like mine , got Bad Fuel @ BP Westernport , Coughin and Splattering Everywhere ,

Run Octane Booster/Injector Cleaner in it , Cleared it Up !

Maybe you should get Kevs Injectors sooner than Later ..

Old 19-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #22
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

If you don't know when your fuel filter was replaced moree than likely it has not been replaced.

A good way to check this is to remove the filter try ing not to let too much of the fuel spill. The block the inlet and outlet and shake the filter for around ten seconds. Now blow back through the filter in the reverse direction.

Now if you blow back through the filter in the correct direction there should be minimal resistance. The more resistance there is the more blocked your filter is.

As for your Walbro it should be fine.
Old 23-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Well I fixed it, it was the filter. Pulled it out (that was fun...NOT) and shook it around and tried to blow through it, which was hard. Shook it back out against the flow and a truckload of black grainy crap came out so no wonder I was having issues.
Old 24-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
The part that interests me is that if you pressurise a fuel tank it should not produce fuel starve, however if you create a vacuum in the tank it will work against the draw of the fuel pump.
As mentioned above, You could expect a little pressure on a hot day but this should not affect fuel flow however if it's sucking air in it I would expect it making the fuel pumps job a lot harder. Either way I'd be checking the tanks breather system.