Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
xertia

Default Steering problem

Hi guys, been a long time reader of these forums but never actually posted! Have recently noticed on my 98 AU Forte the steering has started making some awful creaking noises when I move the wheel left to right. Seems to be mainly when parked and does it whether the engine is running or not. Does this mean my rack is on its way out or just in need of some kind of servicing? Also, as I know f*all :togo:, what sort of cost would I be looking at to replace the rack if needed?

Thanks.

xertia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Could be a number of things ... do you have plenty of fluid in the Power Steer reseveroir ... are there any leaks in the power steering system. I could be just air in the system.

Although on another note I had creaking and clunking coming from the front right .... and it was an upper ball joint that was a culprit .... i had it replaced ... noises all gone.

I am suspecting the ball joint. Any suspension place that does safety checks can tell you and show you as well. It also affects steering performance as well as the control arm moves as well ... it's also unsafe as well.

Best bet ... get the front suspension checked out and find where the problem lies.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Schwinn
Old Hack

I had a problem like this on my old ED Fairmont, was the firewall bearing, but some WD40 on, no probs!!!

would be nice if ALL Ford issues could be fixed with WD40...
Schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
Works on squeaky/grabbing window guides :hihi:
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

and wet plugs !

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
xertia

Thanks for the quick replies! It did kind of get worse when I replaced the power steering fluid, how do I get air out of the power steering system? When I replaced the fluid I just ran it for a few mins with the cap loosened off on the reservoir and steered full-lock left to right a few times... also would air in the system reproduce the same creaking with engine off?
xertia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I forget the details, but it's quite common for the 18mm nuts on the steering rack (?) to creak and moan, they can be lubricated and this fixes the problem. Try doing a search on the issue. Mine does it a little bit occasionally, but not enough to inspire me to get under there and fix it.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
Isn't that the truth! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
AU dude
Flying high...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
I forget the details, but it's quite common for the 18mm nuts on the steering rack (?) to creak and moan, they can be lubricated and this fixes the problem. Try doing a search on the issue. Mine does it a little bit occasionally, but not enough to inspire me to get under there and fix it.

i found that those 18mm nuts on my au were lose, so i got out the torque wrench, and torqued them up to specs. it fixed my problem...

AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post