Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Default AU Cam

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding cams.

What's the difference between "Billet" & "Re-Grind".

I keep seeing references to "No Billets available for the AU". I'm looking to get a Crow Cam for my car in the next month, will I be able to get a Billet and if I can't is a re-grind ok?

Norton

Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

a billet cam refers to the block of steel it is turned from. It is a new cam machined out of a large lump of steel..
A regrind they just change the profile of a factory cam by machining it.. A regrind cam needs shims where as a billet won't.. I think that is right

THere are no billets available in Australia atm, last I heard the guy from Sure Cams was sourcing the billet blocks in the USA and wasn't expecting anything to be on the shelves before June

I wouldn't get a regrind myslef but others have and are happy with them..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive been wondering that question myself
JefXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
LOWAU

The only issue with regrinds are that you have to add shims to your rocker arms, and that *might* get more noise from the valve train, going billet eliminates that factor.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
The only issue with regrinds are that you have to add shims to your rocker arms, and that *might* get more noise from the valve train, going billet eliminates that factor.
Why do you have to add shims??

I am still a little confused the the difference.

Are there any good websites that explain the difference or even show pics?

I would assume that they are both milled out of the same material.

Regards

Norton

www.aufalcon.com/norton :
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The billet just has the original base circle dimemsion and better valve actuation angles. both will need shims but the regrind needs significantly more.

No need to worry both are ok
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when they they do a regrind ,like jonbays said the grind what they can out of the base circle to alter lift and duration .then you ad shims to make up for what was grinded out.
lets just say you have a stock au cam and all you want is 2mm more lift at the valve .they will grind 1mm off the base cicle of the cam lobes .then you will have to ad a 1mm shim behind the HLA's.with the 2 to 1 rocker ratio on au's you get the 2mm lift at the valve.
regrind cams are good its just the shims ,what some manufacture's supply aren't up to the task .if you do decide to go a regrind ,i'd get some shim's made up to the specific height required .

one thing that confuse's me is why do you need shims on a billet cam ,other than the factory ones .shouldn't they all be based on the same base cicle?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

From what i remember from the metal trades, 'Billet' refers to a 'Bullet Proof' lightweight metal/ not as such that is actually boolet proof , but a very very hard metal. Im assuming a billet cam would be alot more solid , weight less and have less wear compared to a normal cam / thats is if what they are refering to as a billet cam ? .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
From what i remember from the metal trades, 'Billet' refers to a 'Bullet Proof' lightweight metal/ not as such that is actually boolet proof , but a very very hard metal. Im assuming a billet cam would be alot more solid , weight less and have less wear compared to a normal cam / thats is if what they are refering to as a billet cam ? .
Normal falcon cams are billet cams. Its only after they have be reground that they become a "reground" cam

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #10
xr8ute
Back on the road

Camshaft cores can be made from different materials.

As spring pressures increase, the camshaft core is more prone to flex/vibration, which is obviously not a good thing for the valvetrain...

I believe the most common OEM hydraulic cams, and the cheaper aftermarket hydraulic cams, are made from a SADI core (not sure what that really means though?).

The better (i.e. stiffer) cores are made from steel...

Not sure if/how this relates to "billet" cams. Maybe a SADI core is cast, and a steel core is cut from a big square "billet" of steel?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:52 AM   #11
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

have you tried sourceing a te50 cam. My mate got one for his eb xr8 and it is wicked. idles nice and sounds tough. It is a good basic cam upgrade
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Normal falcon cams are billet cams.
Ty, thats new news to me, i didn't know the AU's had a factory released billet cam in them. cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Its only after they have be reground that they become a "reground" cam
In the case of any cam , i think thats pretty obvious ! :

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

nearly ALL ford cam for a ong time have been billet from the factory.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post