Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
brayza
Starter Motor

Default Good Low Profile Tyres

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2001 Ford Fairmont GHIA AUII series car.

The existing tyres are all pretty well worn, so I wanna replace them with a set of low profile, "sporty lookin" tyres (will keep existing wheels).

Just wanted to get your thoughts on what would be best on a car such as this? Prepared to spend upto $200 per tyre.

Got some quotes at a couple of tyre places in Town today. Bridgestone and Bob Jane Tmart.

Bob Jane had some Xenon 225/55 R16s on special for $149 which sounded alright.

I'm fairly new to all this, and as you can see from my number of posts, new to these Forums.

Lovin me new Ford tho! :-)

Alot better than me old 91 Nissan Pintara rice burner.

regards,
Brayza

brayza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Welcome to the Forums mate
You pretty much have to replace the old rubber with rubber of the same size. The only way you can go low profile tyres is to upgrade the rims size, but I guess you know that already Hankook ventus k102 come in 225/55/16, not sure on price but they look pretty sporty. I have similar Hankook tyres and they were $175ish each and they go great. Might also be worth while having a look through the tyre & wheel tech forum theres bound to be info in there if you do a search. Good luck with it
Cheers
Luke

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
brayza
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
Welcome to the Forums mate
You pretty much have to replace the old rubber with rubber of the same size. The only way you can go low profile tyres is to upgrade the rims size, but I guess you know that already Hankook ventus k102 come in 225/55/16, not sure on price but they look pretty sporty. I have similar Hankook tyres and they were $175ish each and they go great. Might also be worth while having a look through the tyre & wheel tech forum theres bound to be info in there if you do a search. Good luck with it
Cheers
Luke
Thanks for your quick reply Luke.

I'm a novice when it comes to cars mate - so no! I didn't already know that. :-)
Is it costly to upgrade the Cars rims to the appropiate size?
Dunno if this helps, but I currently have a tyre size of P215/60 VR16.

regards,
Brayza
Old 26-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

P215/60 16 and P225/55 16 are interchangeable. You are not really changing the tyre profile as much as increasing width.

To get an idea, P215 means the tyre is 215mm wide. The 60 means the hight(profile) of the tye is 60% of the width. The 16 means a 16" rims. (So yes, tyres are measured in mm's, %'s and Inches.. weird huh?)

Anyhow, 60% of 215 is 129 so that tyres profile is 129mm high.
55% of 225 is 123.75.... tyre profile is 123.75mm high. Effectively you are only reducing the tyre rolling diameter a small amount (10mm to be precise .. used a tyre calculator) which will affet your speedo about 1.5% (it will read a little higher so no worries about speed camera's). Hope this explains it a bit.

As for tyres, have a look at Dunlop SP3000a's, a very affordable and grippy wet/dry tyre for 16" rims. A set of these would only knock you back about $600 for 4 tyres.

If you are increasing rim size (most sets of rims go from around $1500 to $3500 a set without rubber depending on make, size and finish) then rubber gets a whole lot more expensive.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Yes it can be costly to upgrade rims depending on what you want. Basically when you get a bigger rim, the tyre you get to fit it is less in profile so that the rolling diameter is pretty much the same as the original tyres if you get what I mean. Maybe if your serious about upgrading rims have a look around and find what you like etc. and just run around on the old rubber for a while depending how bad it is or even get some cheap stuff to keep you going for a while if your wanting to go bigger, otherwise you just have to replace them with some good tyres that are the same size and stick with them. Depends what you want to do really. I upgraded from 15" to 17" a few months back and didnt get much change from $1700, really depends on rim/tyre choice as to what you pay.
Chuck up some pics of your ride too mate

Cheers
Luke

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
brayza
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
P215/60 16 and P225/55 16 are interchangeable. You are not really changing the tyre profile as much as increasing width.

To get an idea, P215 means the tyre is 215mm wide. The 60 means the hight(profile) of the tye is 60% of the width. The 16 means a 16" rims. (So yes, tyres are measured in mm's, %'s and Inches.. weird huh?)

Anyhow, 60% of 215 is 129 so that tyres profile is 129mm high.
55% of 225 is 123.75.... tyre profile is 123.75mm high. Effectively you are only reducing the tyre rolling diameter a small amount (10mm to be precise .. used a tyre calculator) which will affet your speedo about 1.5% (it will read a little higher so no worries about speed camera's). Hope this explains it a bit.

As for tyres, have a look at Dunlop SP3000a's, a very affordable and grippy wet/dry tyre for 16" rims. A set of these would only knock you back about $600 for 4 tyres.

If you are increasing rim size (most sets of rims go from around $1500 to $3500 a set without rubber depending on make, size and finish) then rubber gets a whole lot more expensive.
Thanks for this post mate, very informative. Amazing how they have decided to make the tyre specs/measurements as complicated and confusing as possible. Reminds me of computer specs/ratings. :-)

While I would like to go for decent low profile tyres, I am not keen enough to be spending another $1500 plus on new Rims. Sounds to me I should just get a decent set of tyres that fit on the current Rims (which I quite like).
Another question: You mentioned the 225/55/16 tyres will affect the speedo by about 1.5 %. Will they then also effect the accuracy of your odometer? i.e Kilometres (distance) travelled?

regards,
Brayza
Old 26-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayza
You mentioned the 225/55/16 tyres will affect the speedo by about 1.5 %. Will they then also effect the accuracy of your odometer? i.e Kilometres (distance) travelled?

regards,
Brayza
Yep, it will. As an example your odo will say you have traveled 100kms but you have really only done 98.5Km's.

Given your speedo probably already reads about 2km's high anyhow (factory setting is about that) then its really SFA of nothing to add another 1.5%.

Remember, from new tyres to worn tires can affect your speedo up to about the same anyhow as the rubber gets worn away.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 245/45/16 Goodyear Eagle F1 steels from Tempe Tyres. Apparently they are "exclusive" to them. Anyone know how this works?. They are the tyres for newish Mustangs and Corvettes. They cost $160 each and better than having a Korean brand.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I have 245/45/16 Goodyear Eagle F1 steels from Tempe Tyres. Apparently they are "exclusive" to them. Anyone know how this works?. They are the tyres for newish Mustangs and Corvettes. They cost $160 each and better than having a Korean brand.
my mate runs a goodyear and can get any tyre they make, and zo6, 300c srt-8, ford gt, and charger srt-8 run goodyear eagle f1 supercar

anyway he has had me try a few diffrent tyres and i will tell you stay away form nankangs, falkens (those zeixs are that bad, slicks are are safer in the rain), hancook, gt radials.
you should have a look at fedral 595 supersteels there good tyres.
not sure if you can get them in your budget but goodyear eagle f1 GS-D3 are the best tyre i have every used.

TS50 Build
mr_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

i was quoted about 2000 for a set of advanti "vivid's" 18" x 8" with a decent set of tyres. vivids were on special at the time though.....

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I can thoroughly recommend the Hankook Ventus K104 or K102, and the Nexen NS2 sport. I have the first set on my XR8, and the second on the I6 wagon. Both are very good all round tyres.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #12
brayza
Starter Motor

Big thanks to all who have replied in this thread.
Lots of good info to take on board and follow up on..

However, I'm thinkin that for the time being that i will just replace the tyres that need replacing with a 215/60/16R tyre, and worry about the low profile stuff down the track. Could better spend the money on other stuff right now.

So now i just need to shop around for a decent 215/60/15 radial tyre.
Suggestions?

regards,
Brayza
Old 26-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Same as above, but in the same size you are after. Try bob jane, beauies, bridgestone, tyrepower etc etc. Let your fingers do the walking (yellow pages)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
Autocade

Quote:
Big thanks to all who have replied in this thread.
Lots of good info to take on board and follow up on..

However, I'm thinkin that for the time being that i will just replace the tyres that need replacing with a 215/60/16R tyre, and worry about the low profile stuff down the track. Could better spend the money on other stuff right now.

So now i just need to shop around for a decent 215/60/15 radial tyre.
Suggestions?

regards,
Brayza
Brayza try posting & searching in the Tyre & Wheel Technical section
I am sure you will be offered a wealth of knowledge from members in the Trade
It certainly helped me with my decision
Cheers
Autocade
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
brayza
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocade
Brayza try posting & searching in the Tyre & Wheel Technical section
I am sure you will be offered a wealth of knowledge from members in the Trade
It certainly helped me with my decision
Cheers
Autocade
Yeah, i've searched around abit in the tyres and wheels section of the forums and found some useful info. Haven't posted there yet tho.

regards,
Brayza
Old 27-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #16
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi and welcome feel free to post up a pic of your new car..... The tyres that I would recomend in that size would have to be a (a)Dunlop 3000a which is a silica based tyre heaps of grip allround and a comfortable ride (b) GoodYear Excellence another good tyre, are standard now on the new BF Fairmonts, this size is in a 225/55/16 and should fall a bit under the expected $200ea....... Hope that helps you out

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Hi,

I have just purchased a 2001 Ford Fairmont GHIA AUII series car.

The existing tyres are all pretty well worn, so I wanna replace them with a set of low profile, "sporty lookin" tyres (will keep existing wheels).

Just wanted to get your thoughts on what would be best on a car such as this? Prepared to spend upto $200 per tyre.

Got some quotes at a couple of tyre places in Town today. Bridgestone and Bob Jane Tmart.

Bob Jane had some Xenon 225/55 R16s on special for $149 which sounded alright.

I'm fairly new to all this, and as you can see from my number of posts, new to these Forums.

Lovin me new Ford tho! :-)

Alot better than me old 91 Nissan Pintara rice burner.

regards,
Brayza

I HAVE THOSE TYRES!!

noisy as all buggery. fairly grippy though. unless you are really giving it a go.
Old 27-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #18
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Anyone used 17" Maxxis?

They were on a car I bought a few years ago and even though 80% worn performed well.

I replaced them with a name brand but wish that I'd kept the Maxxis.

I'm going to Tassie in June and want to replace my tyres for the trip...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #19
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

don't do it , going to tassie you will want the good stuff, plenty of winding roads and if its cool enough icey stuff too' go asymetrical or directional if the budget allows
and if its hang the exspense give me the best, go the g/year F1 GSD-3
I did........

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #20
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Anyone used 17" Maxxis?

They were on a car I bought a few years ago and even though 80% worn performed well.

I replaced them with a name brand but wish that I'd kept the Maxxis.

I'm going to Tassie in June and want to replace my tyres for the trip...
My Maxxis MAV1's grip really well, good in the wet too. I don't push the limits or anything though.

Downside is they are the noisiest tyre I've ever had. I won't be buying Maxxis tyres again. Next time I'm going to try Toyo Teo Plus. About $160 per tyre in 225/50/16. Made in Japan, supposed to be really good.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #21
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
My Maxxis MAV1's grip really well, good in the wet too. I don't push the limits or anything though.

Downside is they are the noisiest tyre I've ever had. I won't be buying Maxxis tyres again. Next time I'm going to try Toyo Teo Plus. About $160 per tyre in 225/50/16. Made in Japan, supposed to be really good.

Cheers,

GK
Thanks George... I also don't push to the limits.

I thought that the Maxxis that I had were directional - but I may be wrong I was less than interested in cars at the time...

They weren't noisy but that may be because they were fairly well worn. I'll look into the Toyo's (back in the 70's they rivalled Michelin for excellence on truck steer tyres) as I have confidence in their quality.
Really only a matter of wear and noise from there ;)

edit: oh btw George, we swapped suspensions over on the weekend. The touring setup rides much better and is much less abrupt than the xr setup. I ended up cutting half a coil of the rears... sits level now, much better - I may have to weld the bit back on when we next go away; I don't know how it will sit with a boot load of stuff, lol.
Old 27-03-2007, 11:41 PM   #22
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
don't do it , going to tassie you will want the good stuff, plenty of winding roads and if its cool enough icey stuff too' go asymetrical or directional if the budget allows
and if its hang the exspense give me the best, go the g/year F1 GSD-3
I did........
Maxxis MA-Z1's are awesome, they grip like ****** to a blanket and are quiet as well. In a test by one of the motor mags they came third behind Pirelli's and F1's, which are significantly dearer. I've got them on my car and love them, and if you do a search I think you'll find nearly everyone on here who uses them swears by them too. They are directional, by the way.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #23
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Maxxis MA-Z1's are awesome
That may have been what was on the car...

Anyhoo rang Bob Janes and $850 sees 4 x MA-Z1's, balanced, fitted and front and rear wheel alignment.

We've got a 800km round trip up country before we head off to Tassie so I'll see what the Maxxis are like. If no good (for whatever reason) I'll stick them in the shed and try something else. I really don't want a 2 week trip on tyres that try my patience.

Thanks for the tip...
Old 29-03-2007, 09:07 AM   #24
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Mate , If i Can Travel Tasmania Safeley on Turanzas , Maxxis Will be Fine , I HaD THE turanzas up hills and on ice and they still worked fine for a Crap tyre , and they only had about 15% tread left !

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post