Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
zippy450
99' AU 1

Exclamation leaking power steering

Hey all

well 2day i went to pick up my girl from town and just as she got in and i took off a grinding noise started form under my bonnet and the steering wheel started to shake. i pulled over and called RACQ for help. while wait for them i started to check the car over and found no fluid in the pump and wet all over the rack. looks like it is coming out of the right hand side boot of the rack but i hope it may just be from the bottom off the switch

So *** is likely to be leaking and how much is a new rack for it roughy cost. any help would be great

Mick

zippy450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy450
So *** is likely to be leaking and how much is a new rack for it roughy cost. any help would be great
I don't know what "remanufactured" means in this case but it might be worth your while to contact them and have a chat:-

http://tinyurl.com/yo9w6s
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Good chance it is the switch,if so 30 bucks from memory for switch is the ballpark... The switch is right above the drivers side boot too on the earlier models.i think Au is.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

replacement racks are around the $200-ish mark ... that's for remanufactured (I think) ... i had mine done as it was creaking and cracking and clunking about ... and leaking from the boot too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
all4fordau

I had the same drama 18 months ago and was the switch. A fiddley job to change but the swith was $28 from Repco and it took about an hour to change. I remember cutting down a ring spanner to do it but well worth checking it out. Give yours a good clean up with a rag and top up the pump and then check out where the leak is. Could save you a small fortune.
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post