Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Who would win??

Ok a couple of guys have been geeing me up saying over the quarter they would beat my AU..
My car is a AUII Forte (will post pics soon) with the usual I6 (auto), BUT is its got 2.5" extractors and hiflow cat and 3" catback exhaust, Powerchip Gold 98 in the ECU, JMM Dev3 cam, and luckilly a LSD that the guy who had it before got as a factory extra . Im guessing the TE50 kit and the18's its riding on would add a lil bit of weight over it as stock but not really enough to make a diff.

One of the others is drivin a VN Commo, stocko V6 with a yep, sure enough 5" cannon bolted to it. Reckons it pulls 190 in 4th ( its a 5 spd manual).He's ur typical 17 yr old d***head p-plater. Not a mate just a smartass from work!!

The other is a close mate and he's got a stock standard EF fairmont Ghia and he reckons cos hes got the Tickford built 6 he'd absolutely smash me?

Of course it'd be better to get a few opinions before i put the AU pride on the line down the quarter (it will be done legally of course!!), so wadda you guys thinks??

rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Race them and see. Only way to know for sure.

Sneak in some nitrous and put them to shame :P
Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon a manual v6 vn will give u a run (if the guy can drive) u will beat it but i dont think by very much they for some reason they are quite quick......as far as what commyboy says about his car doing 190 in 4th who cares its how fast u get to 190 that counts......and y doesnt what u said about him surprise me *cannon* fully sick mate i spose hes got doof doof to lol

as far as your mate with the el hahahahaha what ever he wont beat u thats for sure the vn would beat him easily
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I have a feeling it would be a pretty close 3 way race.

I would give the nod to the EF... just.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

190 in 4th should be doable in a VN (or any relatively modern Ford/Holden, ie post 1988... or pre-1988 V8), depending on diff ratio.

When my 5.0 was stock and had 3.27 gears, I could pull 200 in 3rd, which is equivalent to the VN's 4th. Tacho sat pretty much on 5000rpm.

So him stating he can pull 190 in 4th isn't anything special really. In fact, if he has highway diff gears (taller than say 3.25), this should be easier to achieve.

Him getting to 190 in 4th down the 1/4 mile though (I know he didn't state this)... I'll be scared if he can manage that!

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
smally289
growing up is optional

While the EF Ghias got the Tickford donk, they missed out on the exhaust system and will be down on power compared to an XR6. Will be close with that one.
Watch out for VN V6 manuals, they have got some punch and will most likely beat you off the line.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Scott

The commy with a manual is a real chance if you get caught knapping, the ef is out of the running all together. I'd back you a clear winner if you stall her up & get away well.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Take each of them down the 1/4 and see what your printout says. But your AU should beat both, but only by around 0.1 or 0.2.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

If the 'Dodo' internet mobile on that tv add can beat the commodore then you shouldn't have a problem ! ...hahahaha

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

When you do run them down to qtr, let us know because we hear these type of scenerio's all the time but never hear the result's.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
stiddy
Banned

My aunties EL Fairmont Ghia, ran a 16.6-16.5 (forgot the mph) down the 1/4..
theres an indication of how fast the EF will be.. and thats 100% stock with the tickford motor..
A VN, 5spd with an exhaust, intake, chip and diff gears will run a 15.8.. thats me seeing it with my own eyes from having a run with one at eastern creek, he was sure he had me too, another tool.. that was his best time aswell.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rayner22 ,what diff ratio's in your au?
i'd back your au for a win.
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
StevenAu2
Irregular Member

You gotta love a Forte so im backing the Au!!! However my parents used to have a Vn commodore,they got in in 92 and it was ex police v6.The thing used to haul A$$ and went so much harder than a normal v6 it wasnt funny!!!
StevenAu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

0-100 the VN will kill you, no doubt about it. Then, by the end of the 1/4 you should have run him down like a dog and passed him by a fair way. I'd say 15.5 or better for you, 15.8 or so for the VN and the EF will be lucky to see mid 16's... not even a race.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #15
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The au2 forte is pretty light.But if its an auto your gonna get smashed by the vn off the mark. Just go and get a high stall converter and dont tell them. They wont know what hit them. :

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #16
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just race em that way you will know... What do you rekon if you go to them and say "I have been on FordForums and they rekon I will beat you" If you get beaten then save up for some mods to comfort you, if you win get excited rub it in and get some celebratory mods.

I rekon the 5" cannon if it is that big on the VN would surly impeed performance, the engine wouldn't create anough backpressure, would it??

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cube
Just race em that way you will know... What do you rekon if you go to them and say "I have been on FordForums and they rekon I will beat you" If you get beaten then save up for some mods to comfort you, if you win get excited rub it in and get some celebratory mods.

I rekon the 5" cannon if it is that big on the VN would surly impeed performance, the engine wouldn't create anough backpressure, would it??
it probably would if it was just welded to the end of the factory exhaust instead of the rear muffler
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #18
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Race

I think if all cars were new it would be very close between you & the VN with the EF a fair way off the pace. You must remember VN's are getting old & the weasy old Buick V6 has probably had the ears revved off it, especially considering its vintage & being a manual. It will power away from you at the start but once it hits about 80km/ph the show is over for a VN. You will rapidly catch it & should finish ahead. Just race them : & post the results. Remember to stall it up.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #19
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those 18s aren't going to help you. They will slug you down, especially because you have an Auto. Put some stockies on the back, then give them a go.

Be sure to take out any crap you have lying around in the boot, as those VNs are daim light.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #20
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks boys, Ill let you know when it all happens, my mate with the EF actually read what you guys all said and well the look on his face was CLASSIC, followed by a "Im not racin ya, I know i'll win bla bla bla".

FS5: I'll find out what ratio its running but it should be whatever the stock LSD ratio was for AUII's Im guessing

Mr Cube: the cannon is bolted to the stocko exhaust, no hiflow no extractors lol. And yes he does have doof doof all through, hence the "VDO racing" stickers emblazoned on the quarter panels lol

I thought the VN might get me off the line but, the driving experience factor should kill that for him, his 6 months to my 6 years lol. Im gonna try and hold at least 1500rpm before i let the brakes go!!

As for the 190 in 4th , well a couple of my mates at the local Ford dealer think his speedo only said 190 cos hes got 17's on a car released with 14\15's and the speedo hasnt been adjusted.
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #21
Scott

190 would be pretty likely.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #22
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner22
As for the 190 in 4th , well a couple of my mates at the local Ford dealer think his speedo only said 190 cos hes got 17's on a car released with 14\15's and the speedo hasnt been adjusted.
That would only apply if the sidewall height of the tyres isn't reduced.

Hence why you usually see 19s, 20s, etc shod in wide fanbelts, so that the overall wheel+tyre diameter is roughly the same as say a 14" rim with a 185/70 tyre.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #23
buickman
buickman

I've seen a couple of near stock VN V6s nail ED's & EF's that were in much the same stock type form. But the AU's in stock seem to pull harder in 2nd gear so thats were I presume you might get over the line quicker but still it could be the driver of the day that wins.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #24
EFFalcon
Last warning

a mate's EL Ghia auto with cat back managed a 15.2 :P
stock cars can vary by so much, i've also seen a dead stock EF Fairmont (normal engine etc) run a 15.9.

my fairly well modded EF only managed a 16.1 as the engines just had enough.

anything said in here is only speculation, just swallow your pride and goto the drags.
who cares if you loose.
its only a car!

190's not exactly much of a feat really...
stock EF/EL's can hit their speed limiter of 180 in 3rd gear (1:1 ratio) and even my 3.45 ratio'd EF can hit 180 in 3rd.

all said, the AU should win.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #25
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

If the EF goes anything similar to the EL, then I wouldnt have sniffed at the EF so quickly, my sisters XR8 EL would've canned the tits off my AUI6 Forte before a VCTupgrade and a few more thousand dolars were thrown under the bonnet and Id dare say Id get a run for my money now.... and I hear the Tickford 6's had the advantage down the 1/4 mile over the 8's.
But for mr fully sick (without the 5.0L!).... Tell him he's dreamin, while he does got a light car the woofers in the back would be weighin it down, My XF was floggin the DOOF DOOF VN's back in the day, and if an XF can do it, your AU will only embarrass him!
he's probably thrashed the car showing off to his other DOOF DOOF mates from the day he got his licence and worn out his engine anyway.
My moneys on the AU
Old 04-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #26
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
If the EF goes anything similar to the EL, then I wouldnt have sniffed at the EF so quickly, my sisters XR8 EL would've canned the tits off my AUI6 Forte before a VCTupgrade and a few more thousand dolars were thrown under the bonnet and Id dare say Id get a run for my money now.... and I hear the Tickford 6's had the advantage down the 1/4 mile over the 8's.
But for mr fully sick (without the 5.0L!).... Tell him he's dreamin, while he does got a light car the woofers in the back would be weighin it down, My XF was floggin the DOOF DOOF VN's back in the day, and if an XF can do it, your AU will only embarrass him!
he's probably thrashed the car showing off to his other DOOF DOOF mates from the day he got his licence and worn out his engine anyway.
My moneys on the AU
Mate i tell ya , i had a indian dude living next door to me with a 250 x-flow in his xf years ago with a different cam and a bit of head work , it 'almost' put my v8 cleveland to shame from take off ! , and my v8 went hard too ! ... At that time i had just updated my 250 x-flow to a v8 , darn it was close.... dont anyone under estimate older engines ! ..lol

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 AM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
.... and I hear the Tickford 6's had the advantage down the 1/4 mile over the 8's
True - , but only by a bee's d!(k, and only up to about ED (not including the Sprint or EBGT). From there on it's 8s all the way!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 02:45 AM   #28
EFFalcon
Last warning

JC: actually it was all the way upto EL, only EL II XR8 got the edge.
170kw from the XR8 just didnt cut it.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post