Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #31
290v
290v

24 or eight hundred and eighty eight
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #32
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Toyota > Ford/holden
You, my friend, are going to hell.

Regarding Holden bashing, the one-eyed among us will always bag out the other team. Personally I don't have a problem with Holden, I own one.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #33
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't been to the Holden forums so I have no basis for comparison but there seems to be a lot of whinging going on here to be honest. The 888 story just takes the cake.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #34
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

look at the banter in other sports, I think you'll find we're just as bad as any other. Personally I think they deserve it. The ignorance and arrogance that most pro Holden people display is often blind. I have only one mate who is pro Holden (prefers his oloder cars, has an LC GTR Torana) that has a bit of a joke here and there but knows a good car (and bad) when he sees one.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #35
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I haven't been to the Holden forums so I have no basis for comparison but there seems to be a lot of whinging going on here to be honest. The 888 story just takes the cake.

Go to LS1.com and streetcommodores.com.au its worse than you think.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #36
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

With the increasing affordability of these cars, ls1.com.au and others have changed somewhat.....and AFF isnt excepted.

There is something to being one eyed, and thats fine, but blind is another.

A good set of mods help, and do

If you dont like what you read, give a balanced reply, or simply ignore it. Easy. Forums are all about diversity. The report button handles the rest.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #37
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
With the increasing affordability of these cars, ls1.com.au and others have changed somewhat.....and AFF isnt excepted.

There is something to being one eyed, and thats fine, but blind is another.

A good set of mods help, and do

If you dont like what you read, give a balanced reply, or simply ignore it. Easy. Forums are all about diversity. The report button handles the rest.
Well said PepeLePew, Some comments like"who cares" me, well they care enough to read all of this and then make negative on the fence comment. I wonder about them and why they even bother. People are entitled to there say either way.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #38
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Can someone define what "bashing" is?

A little banter?

Ridicule?

Always retorting to negativity?

What is "bashing"?

Baring in mind, as others have pointed out, this is a Ford Forum, it's kind of expected. Everything is normal here, as far as I care. Sure, the latest news has stirred the pot a little, but again, isn't that expected especially when there's a lot of "unknowns" thrown into the mix, causing many an argument.

I think it does more good than harm for the simple reason that it's stirring the emotions; take that away and we'll end up as boring as the proverbial Volvo-driving/Prius-loving/cardigan-wearing/lawnbowls-addict.

Keep the biff going I say and enough of this limp-wristedness.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #39
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
Since the defection of T8 to Holden I have noticed a heck of alot of Holden Bashing.

Like a Lench Mob on the loose and on the prowl, searching, for a thread (and there are lots) to lay the boot into the arch rival.

I personaly don't care and don't really have an issue.

I visit a few car forums from time to time including Holden ones too and I see them saying the same thing but for no reason really, just mindless and senseless dribble.

So the question beckons, is there a slight chance we are getting as bad as the Holden bogans?

out:
Its hard to say...when I was a teenager growing up....you always get that first close up encounter with a V8 muscle car...for me that happened with a track red GTHO Phase III.

It was a well known fact of life back then that Holden backed down in V8 form altogether at the race track in the face of the GTHOs.

When you had to race what you sold off the Show room floor....Holden backed down in V8 form altogether at the race track.

Fact of Life, not Holden bashing.
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #40
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Can someone define what "bashing" is?

A little banter?

Ridicule?

Always retorting to negativity?

What is "bashing"?

Baring in mind, as others have pointed out, this is a Ford Forum, it's kind of expected. Everything is normal here, as far as I care. Sure, the latest news has stirred the pot a little, but again, isn't that expected especially when there's a lot of "unknowns" thrown into the mix, causing many an argument.

I think it does more good than harm for the simple reason that it's stirring the emotions; take that away and we'll end up as boring as the proverbial Volvo-driving/Prius-loving/cardigan-wearing/lawnbowls-addict.

Keep the biff going I say and enough of this limp-wristedness.

well said, i thought being a ford fourm it would be acceptable to bag out the competition every now and then. i can appreciate a nice car but i've always copped s#*t about being ford man so i don't mind given it back sometimes to. and if people were going to buy a car and don't want a ford i'd rather they bought a holden than anything else, just my opinion.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #41
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
Its hard to say...when I was a teenager growing up....you always get that first close up encounter with a V8 muscle car...for me that happened with a track red GTHO Phase III.

It was a well known fact of life back then that Holden backed down in V8 form altogether at the race track in the face of the GTHOs.

When you had to race what you sold off the Show room floor....Holden backed down in V8 form altogether at the race track.

Fact of Life, not Holden bashing.
I remember the 70's. Queuing up for petrol because of the oil crisis etc. Holden decided to try a smaller nimble car for Bathurst & it worked pretty well.
I was just looking at the historical results for Bathurst ;
1970 Ford Falcon Phase 1 (race time 6hrs 32mins)
1971 Ford Falcon Phase 2 (race time 6hrs 9 mins)
1972 Holden Torana XU1 (race time 6hrs flat)
What surprised me was that there was no Phase 3 winner at Bathurst. That can't be right can it ???
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #42
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I personally do not give a crap if 888 has gone to Holden.
REality is that many people would not even be aware of V8SC results, and I question whether the results on the track have any significant bearing on sales anymore.

Also, I question whether drivers race for the badge, or themselves.

If 888 think they'll be better off by switching camps, then best wishes to them. Life goes on.
Judging by the 3 days of crowd on this weekends V8's you question whether its a sport that people want to pay to go and see anymore. Sundays was pretty good crowd except more than half are corporotes, teams and car clubs and handouts which is sad.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #43
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ever since I heard Holden and Ford swap cars for test driving (with the story that Holden fixed a fuel surge problem in an FG test car before returning it)and the racing teams use the same racing componants ive lost all intrest in firing up over the ford/holden debate.
Its like these holden fans think that if the Holden factory guys ever crossed paths with the Ford Factory guys then there would be a huge blood splatterd brawl.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #44
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Banter one way or another will alway's exsist.
I'm not worried with 888 jumping camps. With the sledging between 888 and HRT starting already, Holden may have wished they left 888 and it's antic's at Ford by this time next year.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #45
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And in regards to the Vodafone team when i heard that Ford was not helping out hence the Hogstar grill badge I thought to my self "There going to Holden soon" and its happend! - unfortunatly this is huge argument ammo for Holden fans. could be a bit of a wake upcall for Ford maybe?
Bantering will always happen yes. And its good for the products, economy, and all that stuff due to the loyalty.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #46
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
...Bantering will always happen yes. And its good for the products, economy, and all that stuff due to the loyalty.

Possibly, but it can also turn prospective buyers away who would rather not be associated with a rabid tribal niche. Marketers spend a lot of time dislocating and differentiating products to find new audiences, even if it's contiguous with the family of offerings.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #47
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
I remember the 70's. Queuing up for petrol because of the oil crisis etc. Holden decided to try a smaller nimble car for Bathurst & it worked pretty well.
I was just looking at the historical results for Bathurst ;
1970 Ford Falcon Phase 1 (race time 6hrs 32mins)
1971 Ford Falcon Phase 2 (race time 6hrs 9 mins)
1972 Holden Torana XU1 (race time 6hrs flat)
What surprised me was that there was no Phase 3 winner at Bathurst. That can't be right can it ???
The 1971 race was a Phase 3, Ford one again in 73 when Brocks XU1 ran out of fuel while miles in front
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #48
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
The 1971 race was a Phase 3, Ford one again in 73 when Brocks XU1 ran out of fuel while miles in front
That sounds right for 1971 - but when I googled 'Bathurst Car Race History" it showed a Phase 2 having won in 1971 ?????
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #49
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
Judging by the 3 days of crowd on this weekends V8's you question whether its a sport that people want to pay to go and see anymore. Sundays was pretty good crowd except more than half are corporotes, teams and car clubs and handouts which is sad.
I never questioned people's passion or the crowds. I believe you have misinterpreted my post.

I questioned the general public's interest, and whether the sport still promotes new car sales on a large scale. For that reason, 888s move to Holden should not be taken so much to heart, for I do not think the implications will be all that significant.

I never questioned the sport itself.

The point of my post was the fact that it is simply a business, and 888 are welcome to do whatever they believe will help them achieve their goals better.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #50
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Yes.. 1971 was the Phase 3's win, it was also the last year of full showroom stock racing before improved production came in for 1972.
Brock won in 72.. but in the same way Moffat was miles in front but handed over the lead to Brock when he crashed the Phase 3 when it rained....

Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #51
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I never questioned people's passion or the crowds. I believe you have misinterpreted my post.

I questioned the general public's interest, and whether the sport still promotes new car sales on a large scale. For that reason, 888s move to Holden should not be taken so much to heart, for I do not think the implications will be all that significant.

I never questioned the sport itself.

The point of my post was the fact that it is simply a business, and 888 are welcome to do whatever they believe will help them achieve their goals better.
Seriously though, next year there is only going to be 8 falcons out of the whole field. Pretty pathetic and I can see why people are getting upset.

Quote: